Do medical schools require a letter from humanities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steelersfan1243

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Chemistry major and have three solid science letters, however, do schools require letters of recommendation from non-science professors? I am not close with any humanity professor and I am about to graduate next semester. Does anyone know of any medical schools that require this? I am thinking of taking two humanity courses next semester with the same teacher to get a good letter if need be, could I get a good letter out of this? Any help would be appreciated, please and thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools do. Some schools don't. Not sure if a definitive list exists. Nearly all schools address this question somewhere on their admissions website, usually in their FAQ sections or LOR section. Take the time to do some research into schools that interest you before you ask for letters and apply.

I was in your exact same scenario: graduating in a semester with no humanities connections. If you think you may need the letter make sure to go to office hours and get a personal connection with the professor. I didn't and had to awkwardly ask at the end of the semester. The year was over and I had coffee with my professor for about an hour discussing my life and his research in an attempt to make up for this. I would not advise this. It all worked out and he wrote a pretty amazing letter but stay on the safe side and get to a more personal level.

I applied with letters from engineering professors, shadowing dr, work dr (medical scribe), research professor and professor who I TA for (so basically all science). No humanities at all. I don't think you need to worry about it. Only school I know that is super strict with the type of letters they require is the university of Utah SOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Even if schools don't require it, I would recommend getting one just in case - particularly if it's a strong letter. Personally I like to see a variety in letters from applicants, and the humanities professors tend to know you to a better degree than your typical professor of a 200-person science course.

Our advising department isn't always the best, but they advocate having one that's not a hard science. I didn't have any from the humanities, but I had a letter from my PI (who I've also taken a few classes with) in social psych/personality division. Worked out fine for me!

If you have 2 science letters + 1 non science letter + 1 PI/volunteer/physician letter then you can apply to 99% of schools no problem. I would recommend taking a small humanities class for the sole purpose of getting a letter from it just because without a non science letter you won't be able to apply to a good chunk of schools.

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I decided to go ahead and enroll in a humanities class next semester in hopes to get a letter out o fit. Thanks again.