Do non-peer reviewed research reports count as pubs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moop

1K Member
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I know that the "Publications" section on AMCAS is reserved for peer-reviewed academic articles that have been published, and citations are a must if you put anything there. I also know that college newspaper articles, campus publications, or even op-eds in legit newspapers should not be listed here.

But I have something like this published: http://www.epi.org/publication/flexibility-overtime-hourly-salaried-workers,
where the report itself is legitimate, hardcore research, but wasn't put into an academic journal because I did the work at a non-profit think tank (like EPI in the above link). However, in the policy/social science world, it is de facto to consider those reports as publications, because 1) they're not fit for academic journals because of the policy slant (i.e., journals publish academic research, not research that constantly pushes for a specific policy), and 2) the peer review process within the organization is pretty rigorous at the more well-known think tanks. I mean, mine was just quoted by the NYT in a recent article, so it's definitely seen as [influential] research by legit places.

Should I even bother trying to get that to science/medicine folk (-.-) who seem to still think that anything non-science, non-peer reviewed isn't worthy of being put as a "Publication"? I'm a risk-taker, so I'd say yes, I'll put it as a pub and link it up in the description box. But curious to opinions.

Note: I didn't actually work at EPI, and that's not my report lol. Somewhere very similar, though.

Members don't see this ad.

Try emailing two different schools and asking them this to supplement the answers here, I think the adcoms would have to chime in on their particular policies.

I feel like it should be listed somewhere but I have no idea really what proper protocol would be. Does it say anywhere that publications have to be of a specific scientific nature?

Try emailing two different schools and asking them this to supplement the answers here, I think the adcoms would have to chime in on their particular policies.

I feel like it should be listed somewhere but I have no idea really what proper protocol would be. Does it say anywhere that publications have to be of a specific scientific nature?
I've looked in a lot of places, but it's just one of those de facto, "STEM >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> everything" sort of thing that the med school app process has found itself in..

Members don't see this ad :)
I would list that as significant research. There are journals for that kind of work and many are cited in the references. This isn't one of them. It definitely constitutes research, but I'm not sure if this thing is peer reviewed. If it was listed in any of the journals cited, it'd be fine. Law reviews etc count as publications I think.

@Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM your input would be appreciated.

I would list that as significant research. There are journals for that kind of work and many are cited in the references. This isn't one of them. It definitely constitutes research, but I'm not sure if this thing is peer reviewed. If it was listed in any of the journals cited, it'd be fine. Law reviews etc count as publications I think.

These research reports come from individual organizations (that compete with each other), and thus are, by definition, proprietary and not peer-reviewed at all. That doesn't take away from the rigor with which it gets review within the organization, though.

lol I wish I had a law review pub............

These research reports come from individual organizations (that compete with each other), and thus are, by definition, proprietary and not peer-reviewed at all. That doesn't take away from the rigor with which it gets review within the organization, though.

lol I wish I had a law review pub............

I understand, but there's definitely bias involved there. I would say that it's a significant research experience and effort, but this is the equivalent of a science thesis in my mind. It shows dedication, but it's not a publication even though your school has allowed you to print it and put it out there. Till you turn it into a manuscript and send it into the abyss, it's not a publication though it might be a notable effort.

"Non-peer reviewed publications"

Reactions: 1 user
"Non-peer reviewed publications"
I've seen you write that in a couple of threads now. Should I still list it under a "Publications" heading or just "Research"?

Ok so I know that the "Publications" section on AMCAS is reserved for peer-reviewed academic articles that have been published, and citations are a must if you put anything there. I also know that college newspaper articles, campus publications, or even op-eds in legit newspapers should not be listed here.

Does AMCAS specifiy that "publications" is limited to peer-review academic articles?

What I see in the instructions is this:
Enter any work or extracurricular activities, awards,
honors, or publications that you would like to bring to the
attention of the medical school(s) to which you are
applying. A maximum of 15 experiences may be entered,
some of which you will designate as your “most
meaningful” experiences.
Ideally, an entry in the experience section labeled "publication" should include a citation but you can write a citation for a newspaper article. It is not the same as bringing a research project to its logical conclusion but it shows analytic and communication skills.

I write that because the standard citation format I'm used to is
  • Peer-reviewed publication
  • Non-peer-reviewed publication
  • Peer-reviewed abstracts
  • Non-peer-reviewed abstracts
  • Other
There's no true set format, and LizzyM's suggestion is fine.
I've seen you write that in a couple of threads now. Should I still list it under a "Publications" heading or just "Research"?

Sort of hijaking this thread, but I'm currently in a bit of a conundrum.

I've already applied, but in a similar vein I was wondering how to include an internal government report... as it sort of straddles the line between the "publication" and "research" categories. I worked on several projects for a gov't agency, and invested a publication-level amount of work (I'm listed as a major author), but our findings aren't available to the general public. If it counts, these reports are written exactly like most scientific publications.

I'm worried because there's no way for me to provide anyone with my report (short of breaching ITAR compliance), so I don't know how much weight adcoms would give them.

Yay/nay for update letter material?

Sort of hijaking this thread, but I'm currently in a bit of a conundrum.

I've already applied, but in a similar vein I was wondering how to include an internal government report... as it sort of straddles the line between the "publication" and "research" categories. I worked on several projects for a gov't agency, and invested a publication-level amount of work (I'm listed as a major author), but our findings aren't available to the general public. If it counts, these reports are written exactly like most scientific publications.

I'm worried because there's no way for me to provide anyone with my report (short of breaching ITAR compliance), so I don't know how much weight adcoms would give them.

Yay/nay for update letter material?
I know what you're talking about. Unfortunately, nay. You can't say anything about it, so don't bother. If you have more updates to give, maybe mentioning it? Your average admissions member might still be confused about it, though.