DO or Carribean MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

wondergirl3

I am almost done with my second year, and it looks like I will have little chance for US MD schools. I have yet to be involved in research, and was planning to take the MCAT this summer, but have not taken biochemistry yet so I will hold off on that.

I did relatively poorly in organic chemistry, and struggled with physics. My GPA at the end of these 2 years looks to be around ~3.6. I know this is not terrible, but without strong research or outside activities I don't think I can make it into a US MD. I have decent activities regarding dance, but that's only 1 thing.

Which leads me to my point, is it better to become a doctor through a US DO school or Carribean MD (or others such as SGU)? My goal is to work as a doctor in the US, and since MD is unlikely, which path should I take?

Sincerely,
wondergirl3

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 3.3-3.4 GPA by my sophomore year and didn't have research/volunteering until my junior/senior year. I ended up with 3.7 and got into MD this cycle. It's not too late for you, and your 3.6GPA is fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's really not too late for your application. Are you saying you're done with second year in college? If so, that means you still have two years left to fill with ECs and research, not to mention the ability to take a gap year for research. Though now is a good time to regroup and evaluate where you are on your journey, but there is no loss of hope in getting an MD. Just plan out what still needs to be done and get it done! You have plenty of time.

Don't go Caribbean. Although you should apply to DO if their philosophy is something that you like!

Which leads me to my point, is it better to become a doctor through a US DO school or Carribean MD (or others such as SGU)? My goal is to work as a doctor in the US, and since MD is unlikely, which path should I take?

Sincerely,
wondergirl3

See the the big red letters in your quote? Your odds of that happening are around 50% if you go to a Caribbean MD. You don't want to start your professional career jobless, and defaulting on $400,000 of student loans.

Your GPA is fine. Do well on the MCAT. Perhaps take a year off and build your activities (research and w/e else you felt was lacking) and apply early and you'll get into and MD/DO school just fine.

Reactions: 3 users
3.6 at the end of 2 years? You can still get up to a 3.8 probably. MD is not out of the question. DO is another option but that's up to you. Physics and Ochem actually are the smallest portion of the new MCAT so that's in your favor.

Caribbean is definitely out of the question though.

100% agree. You have plenty of time to improve and there's no law that says you have to go to med school at age 21.

Just remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint.

3.6 at the end of 2 years? You can still get up to a 3.8 probably. MD is not out of the question. DO is another option but that's up to you. Physics and Ochem actually are the smallest portion of the new MCAT so that's in your favor.

Caribbean is definitely out of the question though.

Reactions: 1 users
Caribbean MD is the worst path you can take if you want to do any kind of medicine in the US. I would go to PA school or become a nurse practioner before I went to the Caribbean.

There are actually med students with little or no research experience. Plan a gap year, apply for research opportunities for next year and/or over the summer, study for the MCAT after you take biochem and shoot for MD. Whether you know it or not, you have an advantage by waiting for the MCAT. The new test materials are S+!t and by the time you are able to study for it, the materials will be revised. Also all the old MCAT scores will be expired and you will only be competing with new MCAT people.

Thanks everyone!! DO seems to be the consensus if US MD doesn't work out for me.

I'll try my best over the next two years and will consider taking a gap year, if needed, to get into a MD here. If not, then I'll go DO.

MD because you are still in good shape. If not, DO for sure over carribean.