DO ortho outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Dazzle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Wanted some advice on how important class ranking and preclinical grades are to landing DO ortho rotations and interviews and eventually matching.

If someone had to remediate a preclinical class..are they pretty much done for? Further what class rank and board scores should one aim for to even consider ortho?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

Wanted some advice on how important class ranking and preclinical grades are to landing DO ortho rotations and interviews and eventually matching.

If someone had to remediate a preclinical class..are they pretty much done for? Further what class rank and board scores should one aim for to even consider ortho?

Thanks!

Score a 650+ on level 1 and your grades will be overlooked, I guarantee it, unless you failed a class. If you had to remediate, that's a red flag and questions will be asked.

From my experience last year, there are many programs that like high boards, and list of those programs can be found on this forum, however, there are many more programs that don't care about board scores and will routinely take guys that fit in well and work hard. Even the programs that like high boards, want you rotate and take guys that worked hard, knew their stuff, and got along well.

It's not all lost if you have poor preclinical grades, even if you failed a class, as long as you show that you improved significantly from there on out. However, be ready to shine on auditions as you'll be up against many studs who have immaculate academic records. Most programs have close to 15 gunners per spot, if not more, some food for thought.

Last edited:
Score a 650+ on level 1 and your grades will be overlooked, I guarantee it, unless you failed a class. If you had to remediate, that's a red flag and questions will be asked.

From my experience last year, there are many programs that like high boards, and list of those programs can be found on this forum, however, there are many more programs that don't care about board scores and will routinely take guys that fit in well and work hard. Even the programs that like high boards, want you rotate and take guys that worked hard, knew their stuff, and got along well.

It's not all lost if you have poor preclinical grades, even if you failed a class, as long as you show that you improved significantly from there on out. However, be ready to shine on auditions as you'll be up against many studs who have immaculate academic records. Most programs have close to 15 gunners per spot, if not more, some food for thought.
Wow that's daunting. Seems like only gunners make it :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say for DO ortho in order of importance to most programs will be (strictly my opinion):
1) how well did you perform on your away rotation (i.e. knowledge, work ethic, coherence with established residents)
2) Board scores, 500+ gets you in the door though some have less than 500 but I'd say thats more abnormal, 550 and above fine for most places and 600+ for some (a few programs rank directly off board scores)
3) LOR from someone known to the program
4) Deans letter and preclinical grades; mostly looking for red flags

Ortho is something that you have to know you want to do and thus gunners get the spots. You dont have to brown nose but really hitting points 1 and 2 are how they do it and round out the app with the last two. You are expected to know basic ortho pimp knowledge, musculoskeletal anatomy, and fracture classifcations from Handbook. Some programs like to take it a step further and see if you know treatments of fractures based off of the classification and imaging findings. Thus waking up out of bed with a 750 on your boards doesnt get you a spot, you have to put in the effort to learn the other things

I was wondering if you could give any advice on my situation, I got a 576 on my comlex 1 and 227 on usmle. Assuming there's no chance to get an acgme ortho residency I was wondering if you had an idea on the aoa residencies I may be competitive for? I'm top 20% of my class also of that helps.