Do other specialties come down to visit radiologists or just simply call?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecanadianIMG

Reaction score
Can't really shadow thanks to covid19, but curious if attendings/residents from other specialties actually visit radiology for consults or??

Members don't see this ad.

Can't really shadow thanks to covid19, but curious if attendings/residents from other specialties actually visit radiology for consults or??
Obviously right now the general preference is a phone call secondary to social distancing guidelines. (although I still had surgeons visiting me on call) Are you asking about practice patterns pre-covid? That really depends on the service and your local norms. I tend to see general surgeons (both residents and attendings) more than anyone come down to visit the reading room. Occasionally the pediatrics ward team has come through and pulm will sometimes come to chest. The attendings on ortho will swing my MSK to talk to the MSK staff but the residents never do. I've also seen heme onc a few times, typically on nucs. This will vary a lot depending on your local training environment though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm lucky that we have a good atmosphere in our radiology department, it's like the 2nd doctors' lounge. Almost everyone comes for case discussion or random chitchat. Gen surgeon, uro, ortho, cardiothoracic surgeon, internal med, gastroentero, pulmo, cardio, neuro, ped, and obgyn, comes regularly. It's a bit desolate currently though, due to covid.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes, even psychiatry. I stopped by once every week or two during my IM months.

Rad Onc here. I bug the crap out of them. Any time I have question about what structures a tumor might be involving in order to help me plan the treatment.

But they have told me they don't mind because they like discussing cases deeper than just seeing an image on a screen.

Reactions: 2 users
It highly depends on the institution. Where I did my intern year, it seemed like clinical teams came down all the time, multiple times a day; some even had "radiology rounds" daily. At my current institution, it kind of varies on the section. I've rarely had anyone come down for MSK or nuclear medicine, but for ER or body, they'd always stop by after a trauma or an interesting case.

Depending on your rotation, either pretty often or almost never.

I'm on my emergency block and get a few visits sometimes throughout the day. I only rule out the big things that can kill their patient though. Everything else, I tell them I will call them if I see it (I don't like people looking over my shoulder while I read studies).