Do people ever score 43,45,45?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
According to AAMC: https://www.aamc.org/students/download/361080/data/combined13.pdf.pdf

0.0% scored 43,44,45. Could this mean 0.01%?

Any real data on this? Personal scorers?

That could mean anywhere from literally none to 0.04% and it would get rounded to 0.0%. So anywhere from 0 people to 40 people at each of those scores.

I got a 44 last time I took the test, but I'm OCD about standardized tests (e.g. kept practicing the LSAT until I got a 180) plus this is my job. I've never met anyone else with a 44 or 45 in my years in the industry, but I've known bunches and bunches with 40 - 43. At Next Step, we've always got something like a dozen or two dozen people on staff at any one time who scored 40 - 43.

Ultimately, when it comes to these unobtainably high scores, the good news is that the bottom line boils down to this: "So what." They can't interview you more just b/c you got an insane score.

The MCAT goal is simply, "Score high enough so that my MCAT score isn't a reason to lose out on an interview." And under that metric, there's nothing really more impressive about a 34 than a 44 - in both cases the admissions officers will go "Good MCAT score? Check! Good GPA? Check! Good EC's? Check! Okay let's interview her!"

If it's just a morbid curiosity thing, I actually don't know if the AAMC releases any specific numbers about the extreme ends of the scale. If you find any, do share! ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your Google-fu must be stronger than mine. Admittedly, I didn't look very hard but I'm not seeing any AAMC publications that give the actual # of people scoring a 3 or scoring a 45.
I'll have to see if I can track it down. There used to be a table available that gave not just percentages, but the raw number of examinees achieving a given score.

That could mean anywhere from literally none to 0.04% and it would get rounded to 0.0%. So anywhere from 0 people to 40 people at each of those scores.

I got a 44 last time I took the test, but I'm OCD about standardized tests (e.g. kept practicing the LSAT until I got a 180) plus this is my job. I've never met anyone else with a 44 or 45 in my years in the industry, but I've known bunches and bunches with 40 - 43. At Next Step, we've always got something like a dozen or two dozen people on staff at any one time who scored 40 - 43.

Ultimately, when it comes to these unobtainably high scores, the good news is that the bottom line boils down to this: "So what." They can't interview you more just b/c you got an insane score.

The MCAT goal is simply, "Score high enough so that my MCAT score isn't a reason to lose out on an interview." And under that metric, there's nothing really more impressive about a 34 than a 44 - in both cases the admissions officers will go "Good MCAT score? Check! Good GPA? Check! Good EC's? Check! Okay let's interview her!"

If it's just a morbid curiosity thing, I actually don't know if the AAMC releases any specific numbers about the extreme ends of the scale. If you find any, do share! ;)

How many times have you realized you got too many questions wrong on a previous section (to achieve a 43+, for example) and just walked out without finishing the rest of the test?

I become obsessive about standardized test scores too. 2400 on SAT (which is why the verbal is such a joke), 36 on the ACT was easier, 180 on the LSAT (no intention of law school but I get paid higher to teach it.)

I'm not a genius by any means. I just tried really hard.

The MCAT, however, I am understanding that a LOT more is required and I don't think I can crack 40 - which I really want to do. There have been many helpful posts though.

180 on the LSAT (no intention of law school but I get paid higher to teach it.)

If you're not BS'ing here and you really did get a 180 on an actual LSAT, you can get paid to go to law school if you just want to satisfy your curiosity (which is what I did).

Law schools are very different than med schools - they don't do interviews, don't hardly care at all about EC's, etc. It's all the GPA and LSAT scores, and the LSAT matters way more. With a 180, you're near guaranteed admissions (99%) at every single law school except the T14 (top 14 schools) and you'll have a 75%+ chance at all of the T14 schools as well. If you go to a mid-to-low-tier school, you can absolutely find a school that will pay your full tuition and even offer some sort of "stipend" or something to cover your books and fees and such.

Law schools are in very desperate shape right now with applications cratering. It's three years of your life, so it's a big opportunity cost, but I'm 110% glad I did it. It was really eye-opening and as a science guy spending a few years in a social science world was very interesting and kinda weird. Plus, huge bonus, now I have a lot of lawyer friends I can call on if I need help.

I personally know two people who got a 42+.

At my alma mater, about 10-20 people get 40+ every application cycle. Around 60-80 get 36+.

If you're not BS'ing here and you really did get a 180 on an actual LSAT, you can get paid to go to law school if you just want to satisfy your curiosity (which is what I did).

Law schools are very different than med schools - they don't do interviews, don't hardly care at all about EC's, etc. It's all the GPA and LSAT scores, and the LSAT matters way more. With a 180, you're near guaranteed admissions (99%) at every single law school except the T14 (top 14 schools) and you'll have a 75%+ chance at all of the T14 schools as well. If you go to a mid-to-low-tier school, you can absolutely find a school that will pay your full tuition and even offer some sort of "stipend" or something to cover your books and fees and such.

Law schools are in very desperate shape right now with applications cratering. It's three years of your life, so it's a big opportunity cost, but I'm 110% glad I did it. It was really eye-opening and as a science guy spending a few years in a social science world was very interesting and kinda weird. Plus, huge bonus, now I have a lot of lawyer friends I can call on if I need help.

Yeah, I'm not joking about the LSAT however it was not an official test. I took one at Kaplan in sophomore year and got a 171 without any prep. It was only in recent months that I gave it another look and learned the stuff that I didn't know when I winged it (logic stuff) and took about 5 practice tests with two of them being 180's.

I should also say that it took a great deal of studying to get that SAT score. I remember being really miffed about not breaking 2000 on the PSAT and not being given a chance at National Merit, so I went hard at it. I really had to open my brain up and think critically about every single question, reviewing correct answer choices as well as wrong ones. The ACT less so, but that's probably because what I learned from SAT prep transferred over.

I was always sort of geared for Law school because I was big on debate in HS, but nothing about Law interests me. I'd much rather be in some scientific research end after a decade or so of practicing medicine.

I also should take back calling the MCAT VR a joke. It's not like I've been doing well on it.

Are you familiar with the changes on MCAT 2015? The scores are now on a bell curve, 500 is the top of the bell curve (and the 50th percentile), 528 is the maximum score, 510 is 89th percentile. They say they're doing this to encourage medical schools to look at those who score in the middle range, b/c these people are over 90% likely to graduate within 4-5 years and pass their licensing exams the first time.

What's your take on an 'average students' (one without natural ability to succeed on standardized exams/without an insanely high IQ, etc.) best MCAT score that they could achieve based on proper preparation? Would like to hear your opinion on this based on your experience working w/ students.

500 is the top of the bell curve (and the 50th percentile), 528 is the maximum score, 510 is 89th percentile. They say they're doing this to encourage medical schools to look at those who score in the middle range

BWHAHAHA. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you :p

Sorry for the snark, but that is such b.s. coming from the AAMC.

Medical school admission has always been and will continue to be insanely competitive, and it's a bit of cheesy wordplay to call the middle of the bell curve the "top" of the curve simply because it's physically at the top of the piece of paper when you print it out. The "top" of the curve is the top 20ish percentile. Has been. Will be. Calling average the "top" is so silly I can't believe the AAMC let that messaging out of their back office.

Assuming things remain relatively stable, the rule of thumb I've been going by is roughly "510 is the new 30". Now obviously we won't really know until several years have gone by, so that we have good comparative data on actual admissions. But there's no reason to assume med schools are suddenly going to start accepting kids with average MCAT scores just because the numbers look different.

okay time to go get my coffee and dial down the snarkiness :p

Reactions: 1 user
What's your take on an 'average students' best MCAT score that they could achieve based on proper preparation?

That's a really tough question. Part of the reason I work for a tutoring company is because I honestly believe there's no such thing as an "average" student. Each person is their own collection of strengths and weaknesses, skills and foibles, etc.

The other problem is that the "average" student doesn't even make it to taking the MCAT. Remember that actually finishing your bachelor's degree is something only a minority of students ever do. And then getting grades that are good enough to think about applying to med school such that the MCAT even makes sense is an even smaller minority.

So the reality is that your "average" MCAT test-taker is already light years ahead of the average person.

In that context, I think it is absolutely 100% possible for an "MCAT average" student to get themselves to a 30 with good prep. Lots and lots of folks start and give up, sign up for a prep class thinking that the class will "do everything for me" and then they give up when they realize they still have to work really hard, etc.

The reality is that what makes for MCAT success is not a genius IQ or a natural gift for tests (although those both make the process much easier) - it's persistence, a good attitude, and a good study group.

Does that answer your question?

Reactions: 3 users
BWHAHAHA. And if you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you :p

Sorry for the snark, but that is such b.s. coming from the AAMC.

Medical school admission has always been and will continue to be insanely competitive, and it's a bit of cheesy wordplay to call the middle of the bell curve the "top" of the curve simply because it's physically at the top of the piece of paper when you print it out. The "top" of the curve is the top 20ish percentile. Has been. Will be. Calling average the "top" is so silly I can't believe the AAMC let that messaging out of their back office.

Assuming things remain relatively stable, the rule of thumb I've been going by is roughly "510 is the new 30". Now obviously we won't really know until several years have gone by, so that we have good comparative data on actual admissions. But there's no reason to assume med schools are suddenly going to start accepting kids with average MCAT scores just because the numbers look different.

okay time to go get my coffee and dial down the snarkiness :p

Well, they claim it's b/c over 90% of those who score in the middle range on the MCAT and are accepted graduate on time and pass licensing exams on their first attempt. But I don't think adcoms are suddenly going to change. That's just the official party line from AAMC.

Well, they claim it's b/c over 90% of those who score in the middle range on the MCAT and are accepted graduate on time and pass licensing exams on their first attempt. But I don't think adcoms are suddenly going to change. That's just the official party line from AAMC.

Read Next Step's above reply about those that make to MCAT.