Do PharmD and MD students take the same biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hckyplyr

My fighting days are over
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm going to University at Buffalo next year starting in the pharmacy program. Our curriculum shows we take Biochemical Principles "for science majors and students of pharmacy". I've searched the UB MD course curriculum and could not find a Biochem course. So, do the MD students take the same Biochemistry class as pharmacy students? Or does the MD program have some sort of integreted class including Biochem and other topics amalgamated into one class? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Generally the pharm kids do not take the medical bioichemistry.

For Buffalo it looks like some is in their FUNDAMENTALS I: MOLECULES, CELLS AND MOLECULAR GENETICS course and the rest is "integrated" into their organ systems.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? I posted a thread, asking whether I should take medical mircobio or the regular microbio, and someone replied to take the medical one because that's the one students take for pharm school. I'm confused now :/

They're talking about Biochemistry, you are talking about Microbiology. They are different classes ...

Biochemistry is about how the body builds and breaks down the molecules of the cell

Microbilogy is about the study of bacteria, viruses, funji etc

I think that my current school has a similar breakdown. There's a 'General Microbiology' & a 'Microbiology' course. General Microbiology is more medical/nursing class while Microbiology is the pre-professional course. However, my previous school only offered 'Microbiology' that everyone had to take ... Nursing, Pre-professional, and Biology majors alike.