Do PMR programs require D.O. students to take USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've certainly asked around regarding this topic and at least with the people that I've met it seems like it isn't an issue.

Just hoping that other people can chime in regarding their experiences.

Someone said on this forum that you can call programs and ask them directly what they expect for students to be competitive. Do residency programs release demographics of their applicant/acceptance pools?

I also read somewhere on this forum that UC Irvine was the only california program that requires the usmle. Can someone verify this?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last year, I specifically asked certain programs if they would like me to take USMLE Step 2 after taking COMLEX and USMLE Step 1 and most of them said "no." That being said, 2-3/20 programs that I was looking at said, "we do not REQUIRE it but we do ENCOURAGE it." I ultimately took it just for piece of mind but I don't feel like it really helped me since I received a good number of interviews before I reported it.

In my opinion, if you have some areas of weakness of your application AND you think that you can do well on USMLE, I would take it. If you did average (and/or above) and well rounded, I think you are in good shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took both the COMLEX and the USMLE (step II only) but received plenty of interviews well before my USMLE score returned. The programs didn't even know I took the USMLE until after the interview. It's not necessary. I interviewed at most of the top ten programs and got my first choice on my rank list.

I don't think the DOs in our program (LSU) took the step 2 USMLE...and they only took step 3 COMLEX too.