Do positive comments from Drexel interviewers mean anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monstermed

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently interviewed at Drexel and the student interviewer didn't seem like he cared that much. I basically asked him questions and lead the interview. He said I would do fine (I didn't ask him) and he didn't seem to have any concerns. The faculty interviewer had some questions about poor grades early on, but then he said I had a great grade trend and my actions are exactly what he would have wanted from someone with a poor start. He said my MCAT scores were good and we didn't need to talk about that and he had said my answers to the questions he had about my record are exactly what he wanted to hear. He said my letters were very positive and I don't recall a single negative comment or area of hesistance in the interview. This was about the best I could have expect, but should I be cautious to think this means I'll probably get an acceptance? Nearly everybody had a positive experience, so is my interview experience really just the norm? They said they'll probably decided in 8 weeks! Argh! What can I conclude from this experience?

Members don't see this ad.

No. I thought I had a good interview with both the faculty and student. I don't know what the hell I said or did, but I got rejected post-interview from Drexel. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
No positive comment or impression from an interview can be trusted. There are way too many examples of these that just did not pan out in the end.

I was waitlisted at Drexel but withdrew from the school after I got into somewhere else. I enjoyed talking to the faculty interviewer, but the student interviewer was basically lame. He wouldn't look me in the eye when conversing and simply regurgitated generic questions. I also felt like I had to lead the interview as he was simply munching on his food. To end it all, he acted quite unprofessionally by abruptly ending the interview when he met a friend in the cafeteria. Perhaps we had the same student interviewer. As for your case, don't worry about it. Drexel accepts a large percent of those interviewed (over 70% last year), many from the waiting list. Considering the interview is over, it's not worth fretting about something not under your control. good luck though.

I thought I had a great interview at Drexel but in the end, my interviewer said, "You don't want to come here." I'm still waiting to hear from them. It's going on 10 weeks.

Originally posted by ixitixl
I thought I had a great interview at Drexel but in the end, my interviewer said, "You don't want to come here." I'm still waiting to hear from them. It's going on 10 weeks.

We must've had the same interviewer. Mine went on for about 5 minutes about why I should go to Columbia instead of Drexel. It sure would've been a tough choice without that piece of advice.;)

Actually, my student interviewer stayed and talked to me for over an hour. I actually had to cut it short because I had to go and meet my faculty interviewer. I keep hearing different stats on Drexel admissions. The admissions director said they accept at least twice the number of people they need to fill the class. Last year they accepted like 600 to fill a 250 person class. It seems like they interviewed 1200-1400 people or something like that. Doesn't that mean they accepted far fewer than 70% of those interviewed? I think the stats given by the admin director are in conflict with the stats given by US News.

Originally posted by Supadupafly
We must've had the same interviewer. Mine went on for about 5 minutes about why I should go to Columbia instead of Drexel. It sure would've been a tough choice without that piece of advice.;)

Yup. Sounds VERY familiar.

Originally posted by Monstermed
It seems like they interviewed 1200-1400 people or something like that. Doesn't that mean they accepted far fewer than 70% of those interviewed? I think the stats given by the admin director are in conflict with the stats given by US News.

I agree. When I was there they told us the accepted more like 55% of those who interviewed to fill out their class. Don't know why there is a discrepency. This year though, perhaps those #'s might increase due to the loss of MCP hospital...that could be a big blow.

Originally posted by ixitixl

I definitely had the same guy. He said with my numbers I should go to Columbia. I told him I didn't apply... he said he thought I'd fit in better there than at Drexel. He was a Columbia P&S grad, himself...
I ended up getting in, but with those comments, I ended up withdrawing my admission.

Originally posted by Taleof50
I definitely had the same guy. He said with my numbers I should go to Columbia. I told him I didn't apply... he said he thought I'd fit in better there than at Drexel. He was a Columbia P&S grad, himself...
I ended up getting in, but with those comments, I ended up withdrawing my admission.

I was thinking of withdrawing my app but since that was the interview I spent the most money on, I feel like I'm entitled to a final decision one way or another. But yeah I can't remember where my interviewer graduated from. Either Cornell or Columbia but now that you mention it, I think it probably was Columbia. It's strange though since my numbers are not high.

I had the same guy too. He asked AT LEAST three times why I didn't apply to Columbia. Despite this, he was the nicest interviewer I've had.

My student interviewer was from UCLA and loved Drexel. It seems like they should screen their student interviewers if they are for "Columbia" and not their school. Also, why didn't the guy transfer or wait and go to columbia? It sounds more like the goal of becoming a compassionant and altruistic physician is not ....pretty scary...espically if that is what the people at Columbia are like, too.............

Anyway, my faculty interviewer told me that he was glad I came to Drexel. My interview was in MCP hospital....and I wonder if he is out of a job? I was accepted to Drexel, but am leaning towards Ohio State right now..... Still waiting on several other decisions, but I was impressed with Drexel's facilities and the doctors they produce are excellent.::cool:

Drexel told me that I can expect to hear back from them in 6-8 weeks! This seems like a really long time. Is this a fairly liberal estimate or is that about right?

Rocco, when did you hear back from Drexel after your interview?

Interviewed November 13th. Heard January 14th....so its about right...Good Luck buddy and keep me informed!

Rocco:horns:

Originally posted by RoccoWJ
Interviewed November 13th. Heard January 14th....so its about right...Good Luck buddy and keep me informed!

Rocco:horns:

Ahh damn! I was really hoping to hear back from the before early April :(
Thanks for the info!

don't believe a word your interviewers say. after my hour long interview at Georgetown my interviewer said that I had handled his tough questions about healthcare extremely well and that I was one of the best candidates he had talked to all year. he was going to recommend me for admission . . . 10 weeks later I got a very nice rejection letter from them (I'm not bitter at aaaalllllll :wow: )

Yes it's true, one can never know based on interview feedback. I can't say my Drexel interview was particularly good. My student interviewer kept going on about the men in her class being toolsheds and how she just broke up with her classmate boyfriend and she was all bitter - I'm like "why tf are you interviewing people if you have such a bad attitude"? I was really turned off by that. Guess they figured that out, I was waitlisted! Interviewed Nov 21, found out about 2 or 3 weeks ago. Declined waitlist position. Threw myself a big pity party and got wasted. Rejection is never easy. :(

celticmists18,

Did you fail to send a letter thank you letter? I had an excellent interview at Gerogetown and am waiting for a reply this week.....

Rocco

I did not send a thank you letter, personally I think that is like begging and even though i really want to go to Georgetown I refuse to beg. I must agree rejection isn't easy, I'm so well aquainted with it that I start reciting the general format as I'm opening the thin envelope. However, I really can't talk since I was accepted to Jefferson in october, so while the 24 rejection letters have been a little harsh each time I was able to say that I will be going to a great medical school come August!

Thats great you are going to Jefferson, I hope you enjoy it there, it is an excellent medical school.

However, I strongly disagree that sending a thank-you letter is begging. The doctors that interview you are taking time out of their schedules to try to select the best candidates for the school. If they take that time and if they invite you to their establishment, they deserve a thanks. I know if i was a doctor and took time to interview candidates, I would really appreciate (not anticipate) a "Thank you."

It all depends on what you write in the thank you letter as well. I you say "Please accept me, oh please, please." Thats begging. But just a causal thanks for an enjoyable day and for your time, is very nice. It demonstarates gratitude and even compassion to an extent- two traits physicians should have.