Do programs normally keep in touch after interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUCPM

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been told programs normally keep in close contact with applicants they are going to rank and was wondering if this is normal.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

generally no. As far as I know you may get emails expressing vague interest etc but it's best to take all that with a grain of salt. They want you to rank them regardless of if they plan on ranking you high or not because they don't want any position to go unfilled. You should rank how you liked the program based on interview day regardless of correspondence afterwards.

http://www.nrmp.org/code-of-conduct/

"Program directors shall not solicit or require post-interview communication from applicants, nor shall program directors engage in post-interview communication that is disingenuous for the purpose of influencing applicants’ ranking preferences."

I was told by a resident that if you were invited to the BBQ in January at UTSA FM, you were generally getting ranked high -- also had UTTyler have a resident call me and ask if I had anything I wanted the ranking committee to know --- but that was over 4 years ago so things may have changed....

Realistically -- don't worry about it -- as someone else said -- the programs are very selfish and don't want any slots to go unfilled no matter the quality of the candidate --- and the ones who work the hardest to fill, usually have to for a reason ---