DO rec's for international MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Mike

would it be looked down upon by foreign med schools if all the physician reccomendations that I have are from DO's. I plan on applying to a few foreign schools as well as osteopathic schools but to help my chances for admission to osteopathic school I had all my internships be with osteopathic physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

If by foreign medical schools you mean the Carribean ones, I shouldn't think it would be a problem. If you mean the medical schools in other nations whose primary responsibility is educating their own nationals, keep in mind that osteopathic medicine may not be medical practice in many of them and licensure of DOs non-extistent. Those I don't believe would pay no attention to a DOs letters.

I looked at that last sentence several times and felt something was wrong. I just spotted and now correct my grammatical error. "I think they would pay..."

It won't matter. However, US Grad DO's ARE recognized as medical grads to foreign governments. (I can practice medicine outside the US) It is similar to a person who graduates from England with a medical Degree (over there not called MD), comes over and is called MD.