DO School Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drallen1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone-

I have a bunch of questions about DO schools and whatnot. I am looking mostly for people's opinions and also some experiences if anyone wants to share. I know some of this has been answered previously, but most of the threads a bit old so hoping to get some current information.

I took my MCAT (28Q) and currently have a 3.5 gpa, good ECs, LORs, etc etc. I am planning on applying to some MD programs in addition to a few DO programs. Here are some of my questions:

a. A lot of people comment about Caribbean MD schools vs DO options. I haven't completely sold myself on either of the two. I don't plan on specializing in an overly competitive field (Peds ER), so I'm wondering if it would make a big difference in the long run choosing MD or DO.

b. If given the option, would you choose a Caribbean MD (the reputable ones) or a good DO school (PCOM, NYCOM, etc)?

c. Are DOs at a disadvantage taking the COMLEX vs USMLE when it comes to residency matching? I've read a lot of different things on the matter, most of which say that if you work hard and get good scores, residency will take care of itself. Just wanted to get some more opinions/personal experiences.

d. DO or wait and retake the mcat? I am not old, but getting older, and would like to start my med school education. I am not opposed to retaking the MCAT and delaying the cycle, but I'd prefer not to. So, if given the option between retaking or starting DO, which would pay off more down the line.

e. I'm sure part of it is my ego (really wanting the MD), but as long as I can do what I want, I am ok with a DO. I just don't want to commit to a DO program for a number of years and then wish I had done an MD because of any potential problems that come with a DO degree (lack of residency spots, lack of places that will hire DOs, etc.) My ideal job would be working in a minor/major city's childrens hospital, but I've heard its tough to compete with MDs for such positions. Anyone have experience here?

Thanks for reading, your input is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would go through each letter but they are essentially the same question. For all practical purposes MD>or=DO>>>>>>Car. It is not partly your ego, iit is entirely your ego. I would choose DO a million times over Carib. There are no practice differences between MD and DO. The differences lie in the premed mind and that's all. This could be answered by looking at any MD vs DO thread.

Disclaimer: there may be a regional bias against DOs and more of a bias in super competitive residencies. At least half of the ER docs at the hosp I work are DOs.