Do School Rankings Matter In the Job Market?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just think its crazy that people in this forum think that the school you graduate from and your GPA has no influence on your job or future prospectus.

I think we're pretty much on the same page here. The idea that these things don't carry any weight is left over from the days of shortage, and it seems is still being encouraged by those who stand to make a lot of money off of students who buy into it.

Members don't see this ad.

Like someone above said, the fact that some schools choose to be not participate in the rankings and the fact that the rankings are not in anyway related to the quantitative ability of the school, the rankings shouldn't carry too much weight. 20 years from now, I imagine it will be a far different case.

But really? Rankings based partially on the opinion of other deans? Who in their right mind wouldn't say "Oh, School X is pretty good, but not as good as my school."

Like someone above said, the fact that some schools choose to be not participate in the rankings and the fact that the rankings are not in anyway related to the quantitative ability of the school, the rankings shouldn't carry too much weight. 20 years from now, I imagine it will be a far different case.

But really? Rankings based partially on the opinion of other deans? Who in their right mind wouldn't say "Oh, School X is pretty good, but not as good as my school."

I looked into these rankings back when choosing a school and if memory serves me correctly, the following is what I remembered as factoring into the rankings:

1. Research of faculty and research grants from faculty
2. Reputation rating from deans, department head etc.
3. Selectivity of students i.e. how hard is it to get into your school
4. Reputation of graduates of the program. i.e. anyone that was educated at the school that went on to do great things for the profession such as cutting edge research articles, developed practice specific guidelines and was looked to as an expert in the field
5. Faculty reputation - are they leaders in the profession?
6. School's facilities - up to date and cutting edge?
7. Naplex pass rates and scores

That's all I can remember

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA - differences/similarities

Questions i pose to you.

1) What do you think your average GPA is in your pharmacy school?

2) What GPA = dean's list?

3) How many people a year graduate with a 4.0?

4) GPA needed to stay in the program

GPA - differences/similarities

Questions i pose to you.

1) What do you think your average GPA is in your pharmacy school?

Not sure as I'm a pharmacist now. I graduated with ~3.6 GPA which put me somewhere between top 20-30% of my class. My classmates had a saying C=PharmD. Which at the time was true, but looking back on things, why not put your best foot forward?

2) What GPA = dean's list?

Didn't have a "dean's list".

3) How many people a year graduate with a 4.0?

Only knew of 2 out of 100ish in my class

4) GPA needed to stay in the program

Must make C or above. Need overall of at least 2.5. If you ever got a D or below you would have to re-mediate class and depending on course, be held back a year. 2 D's or below, see you later.

Again, I don't think that GPA is the only things people look at, but it can only help you if yours is good. Many factors will play a role when you interview and the factors that people look for will be based largely on how competitive the job you're interview for is (do they have 20 applicants for 2 spots or are you the only applicant?) and what type of practice setting you're trying to go into has different qualities or characteristics of the applicant that are looked for in different pharmacy positions.

But back to GPA.... It can be viewed as a measure of intelligence or work ethic to the interviewer. When I was in pharmacy school, the shortage was so bad GPA didn't matter. The only thing that did was if you could pass the boards. I went through pharmacy school not sweating it if I made B's. Fast forward... things have changed. I've been looking into MBA programs (legit ones, no online BS) and they want undergrad and graduate program transcripts with GPAs. If you should ever decide to go back to school GPA could help or hurt you. Does a low GPA mean you're not intelligent or a good pharmacist? No. I know a lot of very intelligent people that have horrible work ethics and low GPA's that are great pharmacy practitioners. I think what is more telling is your class rank which tells how you perform against your peers in the same program. Take a look at the Iowa study and see the correlations of GPA to board scores, I know I was surprised!

I looked into these rankings back when choosing a school and if memory serves me correctly, the following is what I remembered as factoring into the rankings:

4. Reputation of graduates of the program. i.e. anyone that was educated at the school that went on to do great things for the profession such as cutting edge research articles, developed practice specific guidelines and was looked to as an expert in the field

I've also heard students opinions in exit interviews also contribute.

I do think school matters. I hear so many people base their opinion of a school by their encounter with a student. I mean if you don't make a good first impression, then you and everyone from the school is already labeled.

I think people look at the ranking system too. Why would a school NOT want to be ranked? I think that's like an automotive manufacturer not wanting to show safety data. If you do not have a ranking system then you are hiding something.

Why would a school NOT want to be ranked? I think that's like an automotive manufacturer not wanting to show safety data. If you do not have a ranking system then you are hiding something.

I disagree with you.

1) Automotive safety data is a very blunt/wrong model for this.

2) I personally think it's a very wise/smart move for a school to choose not to be ranked. It helps moderate their students' psychological status during the learning process. In other words, those students don't have feel that what they're being taught is somewhat "less-worthy" than what is being taught in the no.1 school. It balances out the moral/motivational learning spirits in students, if I may put it that way.

Besides, whatever it is they're hiding, isn't the ACPE suppose to dig that out....assuming it's something bad for the program?

I disagree with you.

2) I personally think it's a very wise/smart move for a school to choose not to be ranked. It helps moderate their students' psychological status during the learning process. In other words, those students don't have feel that what they're being taught is somewhat "less-worthy" than what is being taught in the no.1 school. It balances out the moral/motivational learning spirits in students, if I may put it that way.

Besides, whatever it is they're hiding, isn't the ACPE suppose to dig that out....assuming it's something bad for the program?

Actually QS is right! If a school choose not to be rank it must not be a very good school. I mean if your school is a good school then you should feel that your school SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET NUMBER ONE. The fact that the school is scared that they can't get ranked highly SHOWS that there is a PROBLEM with them.

Kinda like if someone challenged you to a game of chess. If you are a good chess player then obviously you would take the challenge right? I mean if you are good you have nothing to be scared of right? LOL...if you deny the challenge then you must really suck.

The answer to the OP's question in this thread is actually very easy.

Rankings does not matter back in the day when there was a shortage b/c if there is a shortage employers will take anyone with a pulse (stupid or not stupid) you will get hired as long as you have a PharmD.

Now that there is a saturation, employers will be picky. They will start to look at GPA, school ranking, etc. I mean if there are 30 applicants and ONE job position why on earth will they pick someone from a crappy school when they have 29 better candidates to choose from? common sense folks.

1)
Kinda like if someone challenged you to a game of chess. If you are a good chess player then obviously you would take the challenge right? I mean if you are good you have nothing to be scared of right? LOL...if you deny the challenge then you must really suck.

Are you implying that if someone declines a challenge of whatever sort, that automatically classifies them as 'being scared' or 'not good' enough for the challenge?

2)
I mean if there are 30 applicants and ONE job position why on earth will they pick someone from a crappy school when they have 29 better candidates to choose from? common sense folks.

I'd love to hear your definition of a "crappy school"...in terms of a pharmacy school. And are you also implying that graduating from a "better" school (per your pending definition of crappy/better), awards one with a "better candidate" status than other job applicants?

Last edited:
=Electrode;10465034]I disagree with you.

As a pharmacist, I think its very applicable. You could be dealing with a life or death situation based on human error. Why would you not want to hire the best pharmacist or best engineer to ensure safety is up to standard.

Welcome to the real world where no one cares about your morale or physicalogical status. That's like saying I know I think I'm a good basketball player, but don't rank me. Everyone should let me think I'm as good as Kobe Bryant and can get an NBA contract making 24 million per year.

Its not that they are necessarily hiding anything, but more along the lines that if they knew they would be ranked it would more than likely have implications on their program..... financially by students finally realizing how low they are ranked and for their graduates in difficulty finding jobs in a tough market. They simply don't want to be put up against their peers.

Last edited:
When school rankings factor in specifically residency placement percentages, job hiring percentages, and NAPLEX/Law passing rates, I'll buy into their worth.

I couldn't find that on the rankings site.

I
'd love to hear your definition of a "crappy school"...in terms of a pharmacy school. And are you also implying that graduating from a "better" school (per your pending definition of crappy/better), awards one with a "better candidate" status than other job applicants?

If I'm a district manager or a pharmacy director hiring for a few spots what exactly will I look at on the paper application to determine who might get an interview? School you graduated from, GPA, experience, certifications above one's license and any other unique or odd things that stand out. There are plenty of "diploma mills" out there right now and I think a lot of people know which schools those are. As a mater of fact, I just watched a documentary on CNBC the other night talking about such schools and how they prey on feeding students that they will be promised a job upon graduation with a good salary. The end result? They saturate the market, students can't find jobs, students default on government student loans (which can't be cleared by any type of bankruptcy) and the schools make out with tons of cash. The government is forming committees to address this sort of situation and will start holding these types of programs accountable. What do they expect to see in the future? These schools live off government funded dollars via student loans from students. Once they finally realize they are no longer guaranteed a job, the student will see no point in acquiring 150K in debt to get their degree and applications will drop and the school will close. Many government and financial experts agreed that this will be the next financial bubble to burst and bring our economy down just like the housing crisis. Do I think pharmacy is a bad profession? No. I would still recommend students that love the profession to pursue their dreams. BUT. Be cautious of where you go to school.... are you attending a "diploma mill" or a highly regarded program in the profession? Do you best while in school and make sure your GPA, experience, extracurricular activities set you apart from your competition. Its essentially like that in every other field such as medicine, dentistry and business. Pharmacy has just been fortunate for a long time that there was such a shortage that students had to do very little to get a job and set themselves apart from any competition.

Members don't see this ad :)
When school rankings factor in specifically residency placement percentages, job hiring percentages, and NAPLEX/Law passing rates, I'll buy into their worth.

I couldn't find that on the rankings site.

If you're really interested, there is a contact US News link where you can request additional information that goes into the rankings. Pass along the info if you decide to do such.

Actually QS is right! If a school choose not to be rank it must not be a very good school. I mean if your school is a good school then you should feel that your school SHOULD BE ABLE TO GET NUMBER ONE. The fact that the school is scared that they can't get ranked highly SHOWS that there is a PROBLEM with them.

You could make the argument that it's better not to participate in a ranking that uses such subjective criteria.

while I do think rankings have some truth to them (although they are very subjective), I think school reputation is more tangible and will carry more weight.

while I do think rankings have some truth to them (although they are very subjective), I think school reputation is more tangible and will carry more weight.

I think this is even more true for a given local market. Everyone in FL has an opinion on the schools in FL, but I doubt they know or care about the schools in New Mexico or w/e.

I doubt I could find a practising pharmacist who knows which schools are ranked in the top 10. It just isn't considered important as far as I can tell.

I think percentages are pretty objective. Dean's opinion and the rest of that are what sound subjective to me.

Right, I was suggesting that the rankings, as is, are too subjective. I agree that factoring in the objective kinds of factors you mentioned would be far more desirable than "Dean opinions" or the other criteria mentioned.

Right, I was suggesting that the rankings, as is, are too subjective. I agree that factoring in the objective kinds of factors you mentioned would be far more desirable than "Dean opinions" or the other criteria mentioned.

I guarantee you there are far more factors that US News uses than just the "dean's opinion." US News has been around for at least 15 years that I know and they are one of the most reputable sources for publication of college rankings. Even when I went to undergrad I used them as a great source of looking into undergraduate programs and how they compared them. They wouldn't have the reputation they do by having poor methodology of rankings. If someone does get a response from them, please post. I did find some methodology used for other programs and would assume they used similar data for pharmacy:

11. What are "input" measures of academic quality?

Input measures of academic quality reflect the relative performance of factors brought to the graduate education process. These factors include the academic preparation of the entering class, faculty-student ratio, and research funding.

12. What are "output" measures of academic quality?

Output measures of academic quality are measures we use to gauge how well an institution succeeds in its mission of preparing its graduates for professional life. These measures include job placement rates, starting salaries for M.B.A. program graduates, and bar passage rates for law graduates.

I guarantee you there are far more factors that US News uses than just the "dean's opinion." US News has been around for at least 15 years that I know and they are one of the most reputable sources for publication of college rankings. Even when I went to undergrad I used them as a great source of looking into undergraduate programs and how they compared them. They wouldn't have the reputation they do by having poor methodology of rankings. If someone does get a response from them, please post. I did find some methodology used for other programs and would assume they used similar data for pharmacy:

From the US News website:
(http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...es/2010/04/15/the-health-rankings-methodology)
"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline."

This criteria is specifically mentioned as being applied to PharmD programs: "In the fall of 2007, surveys were conducted for the 2008 rankings of Pharm.D. pharmacy programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (56 percent of those surveyed responded);"

Unless I've misunderstood something here, the rankings are in fact completely subjective. That's not to suggest they don't have their uses, but the original question was if they matter in the job market and to that I still maintain the answer is no.

From the US News website:
(http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...es/2010/04/15/the-health-rankings-methodology)
"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline."

This criteria is specifically mentioned as being applied to PharmD programs: "In the fall of 2007, surveys were conducted for the 2008 rankings of Pharm.D. pharmacy programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (56 percent of those surveyed responded);"

Unless I've misunderstood something here, the rankings are in fact completely subjective. That's not to suggest they don't have their uses, but the original question was if they matter in the job market and to that I still maintain the answer is no.

I totally agree. I just had someone TWEAK out on me for rejecting an interview offer at the "number 2" school... ppl go crazy about these rankings that are completely subjective, let alone outdated and a result of barely half of the possible response population... annnd not even every school chooses to be ranked at all. I'll say this as well, I've seen first hand schools that arent on that list that are more solid that schools that are in the "top 10"

I'd have to say there are a lot of good programs out there but does it matter if you went to the number 1 program versus the number 20 program? Probably not so much.... Yet. Another post mentioned that reputation locally meant a lot to current practitioners and I'd agree with that as well. A lot about obtaining a job can be who you know as well and making connections during your doctoral studies. I have friends that got hired places just by making great impressions at their rotation site. One friend even bought in as a partner of an independent pharmacy in which they did a rotation at! I've precepted students this past few years and I keep hearing how they are 1 applicant out of about 50-60 sometimes for a few spots. I think where you go to school is one of many factors that is looked at. When I interviewed my last year in school with multiple companies, several brought up my GPA and the prestige of the school I graduated from during the interview because I listed it on my resume. It wasn't the only thing we talked about but something that was taken note of. When I hire for my store, pharmacist or technician, I look at a wide array of factors. The biggest impression I can get from someone in an interview is their personality traits, poise, people skills and how well can they carry on a conversation with me. To say that only the school matters is untrue and diversity is also a good thing. I think a lot of practitioners also know which programs in the region are more well respected from the types of graduates they produce from seeing it year after year and also knowing what type of school a program accepts (we all applied at one point and have an idea of average gpa and pcat it takes to get into certain programs) just like we know that to get into yale you probably need near perfect sat scores plus a crap load of other credentials. But I think a lot of people are in for rude awakenings that go to schools who's reputation is not well perceived amongst academia or current practitioners which, if ultimately thats what rankings are based off of those with the highest rankings seem to be the ones more than likely in positions of power and with more well respected opinions in the field.

I think this is even more true for a given local market. Everyone in FL has an opinion on the schools in FL, but I doubt they know or care about the schools in New Mexico or w/e.

I doubt I could find a practising pharmacist who knows which schools are ranked in the top 10. It just isn't considered important as far as I can tell.

I think that's probably how it works in practice. When it comes to the job market I'm pretty sure that most managers aren't going to pull up the current top 10 or top 50 schools to make sure yours is on there. Most schools that have been around for a while are known to produce acceptable pharmacists, and it just so happens that these "good" schools are usually ranked highly. It's not that newer schools are incapable of producing good practitioners, but the older schools have been around long enough to prove this, and they also have more resources from alumni, research, faculty, etc.

Also... the regional thing probably means a lot too. Like in Florida, even though Nova isn't necessarily "ranked" among the nations pharmacy schools, it's a relatively older school and there are TONS of pharmacists in south Florida who went there. Everyone in Florida probably knows a rph or student who went to Nova.

If you intend on moving across the country, the prestige of your school probably means a little more just because people in different states may not be familiar with the schools near you. If it's an older school, chances are that managers in other parts of the country will have heard of it, or even be familiar with graduates of the school and feel comfortable hiring from there. I'm assuming.

To all the students that think rankings, school you attend, gpa etc. don't matter for jobs, you're right, they don't. When you graduate, you'll have your choice of job, sign on bonuses and heck you'll probably be making 150K per year at that point. The market won't be competitive, you won't have to differentiate yourself from another applicant and things will be all hunky dory. See you when you graduate!

To all the students that think rankings, school you attend, gpa etc. don't matter for jobs, you're right, they don't. When you graduate, you'll have your choice of job, sign on bonuses and heck you'll probably be making 150K per year at that point. The market won't be competitive, you won't have to differentiate yourself from another applicant and things will be all hunky dory. See you when you graduate!

Funny stuff. :laugh:

Although I am one of those guys who think those things just don't matter that much (except for residencies). I do agree you have to distinguish yourself. Much more important (imo) is experience, aptitude, networking, etc. I do love a good laugh though, so thanks for that.

well it's a good thing I have a good GPA so far, go to a school that's 107 years old, and will have 5 years of experience at the same company by the time I graduate :rolleyes:

well it's a good thing I have a good GPA so far, go to a school that's 107 years old, and will have 5 years of experience at the same company by the time I graduate :rolleyes:

Sounds like you'll be in decent shape. But really all that's not necessary. Everyone will have a job! :laugh: No, but seriously, I would start networking and know the right people if you wish to continue that job. Try to do a rotation with your supervisor.

Sounds like you'll be in decent shape. But really all that's not necessary. Everyone will have a job! :laugh: No, but seriously, I would start networking and know the right people if you wish to continue that job. Try to do a rotation with your supervisor.

I hope... but who knows! lol I was kind of joking a little bit, but I do hope I'm not unemployed for too long. I'd like to do a rotation with them, but it's a grocery chain so I'm not sure how many APPE community practice sites they have. I like that they're advertising a 30 hour work week for slower stores because I am single with no kids or bills, so I wouldn't mind taking a position like that since a lot of recent grads do not want their hours cut down from 40 I have noticed.

My manager was a preceptor for an IPPE site, but she was promoted to a clinical position at their central location in another state.

I hope... but who knows! lol I was kind of joking a little bit, but I do hope I'm not unemployed for too long. I'd like to do a rotation with them, but it's a grocery chain so I'm not sure how many APPE community practice sites they have. I like that they're advertising a 30 hour work week for slower stores because I am single with no kids or bills, so I wouldn't mind taking a position like that since a lot of recent grads do not want their hours cut down from 40 I have noticed.

My manager was a preceptor for an IPPE site, but she was promoted to a clinical position at their central location in another state.

Actually what I meant is that instead of doing a rotation at your grocery chain with your grocery manager maybe try to set up a rotation with the district manager of all the stores. A lot of schools are understanding that if this is a true interest and helps your career or employment chances they'll agree. I would tell the school you want to learn more about the business and management side of pharmacy via this opportunity but maybe when the dm is busy you can let the school know you'll be doing clinical activiites if available at your location such as mtm, immunizations, health screenings etc. This would allow you to get your foot in the door with the right person.

... I like that they're advertising a 30 hour work week for slower stores because I am single with no kids or bills, so I wouldn't mind taking a position like that since a lot of recent grads do not want their hours cut down from 40 I have noticed.

Funny you should mention that. I know a new grad who works at Walgreens who complains because he only gets 32 hours per week. He gets FT benefits. I would love to work 32 hors per week and get full benefits! How is that not a dream job?! :laugh:

Do employers concentrate just on pharmacy school GPA? Or undergrad as well? Do you even get an undergrad GPA if you just did pre-reqs without getting a BS?

Do employers concentrate just on pharmacy school GPA? Or undergrad as well? Do you even get an undergrad GPA if you just did pre-reqs without getting a BS?

I wouldn't be concerned about undergrad because after all, what undergrad class did you actually take that had anything tondo with pharmacy?

People who went to a top ten school know which schools they are. And it does factor into interview and hiring decisions, when there are multiple qualified applicants. Certainly it's not the only factor, but don't kid yourself: it matters.

People who went to a top ten school know which schools they are. And it does factor into interview and hiring decisions, when there are multiple qualified applicants. Certainly it's not the only factor, but don't kid yourself: it matters.

Oh really? So it matters if the hiring manager went to a top ten, but won't matter if he didn't? Sadly, I can buy that. Some people who go to a top ten no doubt feel superior to those who do not. And eventually those same people will be doing interviews and no doubt will think of that as being important.

I go to a top ten school; I do not know a single other school on the list. I only know mine is because I remember that from my prepharm days. I don't know what the others are and I don't care. I don't think any pharmacist that I have worked with knows or would care that my school is top ten. It's exactly the kind of thing you can list on an application if you think it is important, but really who cares?

Just to be clear how I feel: local reputation matters, national ranking does not.

Oh really? So it matters if the hiring manager went to a top ten, but won't matter if he didn't? Sadly, I can buy that. Some people who go to a top ten no doubt feel superior to those who do not. And eventually those same people will be doing interviews and no doubt will think of that as being important.

I go to a top ten school; I do not know a single other school on the list. I only know mine is because I remember that from my prepharm days. I don't know what the others are and I don't care. I don't think any pharmacist that I have worked with knows or would care that my school is top ten. It's exactly the kind of thing you can list on an application if you think it is important, but really who cares?

Just to be clear how I feel: local reputation matters, national ranking does not.

I think everyone knows UCSF is number 1 and UNC is number 2. ;) That's common knowledge.

I can't really tell with posts like these if the poster is being serious or is just trolling. No one can possibly think this when there are 20+ applicants for every ONE job out there. Everyone IN THE TOP OF THEIR CLASS will have a job yes.

I had no idea. Thanks for the insight I guess. :prof:

Edit: I don't know what either of those school are.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fair enough, I didn't know that either until I dropped out of dental school and decided to apply for pharmacy school. I wanted to apply to UCSF which is The University of CA at San Fransciso b/c I looked them up and they were NUMBER ONE in the country. Their dental school was also very good. I know UNC The University of North Carolina is NUMBER TWO b/c it is my state school and it would be the cheapest school for me to attend. However, I left dental school in Dec and took the PCAT in Jan...so it was too late to apply to UCSF and UNC b/c both of their deadlines are in NOV. :( That's how I know they were number 1 and 2.

How DARE YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT UNC!!!!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fair enough, I didn't know that either until I dropped out of dental school and decided to apply for pharmacy school. I wanted to apply to UCSF which is The University of CA at San Fransciso b/c I looked them up and they were NUMBER ONE in the country. Their dental school was also very good. I know UNC The University of North Carolina is NUMBER TWO b/c it is my state school and it would be the cheapest school for me to attend. However, I left dental school in Dec and took the PCAT in Jan...so it was too late to apply to UCSF and UNC b/c both of their deadlines are in NOV. :( That's how I know they were number 1 and 2.

How DARE YOU NOT KNOW ABOUT UNC!!!!

Oh, I remember looking into them now that you mention it. I seem to recall they have resonable tuition even for OOS? But I ended up not applying to any out of state schools.

Oh, I remember looking into them now that you mention it. I seem to recall they have resonable tuition even for OOS? But I ended up not applying to any out of state schools.

UNC does have very reasonable tuition for both instate and out of state. They are also one of the few schools that allow out of staters to gain in state status after one year. I don't know about pharmacy schools, but most dental schools would make you sign something that forces you to pay out of state tuition for FOUR years if you are from out of state! UNC does not do that!

I ended up appling to the VERY FEW schools that took the Jan PCAT score and I was also missing classes like Microbio and Statistics that 99% of the schools required. :rolleyes:

I wish I applied to a top 10 schools...I really think ranking will matter IN THE FUTURE b/c there will be more applicants and much fewer job positions.

I can't really tell with posts like these if the poster is being serious or is just trolling. No one can possibly think this when there are 20+ applicants for every ONE job out there. Everyone IN THE TOP OF THEIR CLASS will have a job yes.

Was being sarcastic. Thought I would just start agreeing with all the students that think school you attend, gpa etc don't matter when applying for jobs because that's what they wanted to hear and I was tired of banging my head against the wall trying to tell them otherwise

Was being sarcastic. Thought I would just start agreeing with all the students that think school you attend, gpa etc don't matter when applying for jobs because that's what they wanted to hear and I was tired of banging my head against the wall trying to tell them otherwise

I thought so! LOL...In all seriousness I really do not understand why someone would be that desperate to get into any profession. If a person isn't good enough to get into a top school...NO BIG DEAL, just go do something else. It's not the end of the world...there are plenty of jobs that pay more anyways. I do not understand the folks that can't get into a top school and then get desperate and attend some random diplomia mill...I mean seriously? is becoming a pharmacist really that important? I really don't think so! :laugh: I still don't know what I really want to do with my life. lol...

I thought so! LOL...In all seriousness I really do not understand why someone would be that desperate to get into any profession. If a person isn't good enough to get into a top school...NO BIG DEAL, just go do something else. It's not the end of the world...there are plenty of jobs that pay more anyways.
Completely agree, but I think a lot of people knew that if they could get in somewhere they would eventually get a job that paid 100K+ when they graduated :soexcited:, but even though that's a nice salary compared to the general population, I know a lot of people that make a lot more with less education.

I do not understand the folks that can't get into a top school and then get desperate and attend some random diplomia mill...I mean seriously?
Be careful throwing the "diploma mill" term around as people on this board seem to go crazy and attack you when you use that term. I was corrected in another thread when I used that term by a member stating there are no schools in the United States that currently meet the definition of diploma mill..... I would have argued but I'd be banging my head against the wall again:bang:

is becoming a pharmacist really that important? I really don't think so! :laugh: I still don't know what I really want to do with my life. lol...
I love the pharmacy profession but I don't love all the political and economic complications that have come along with it lately. I didn't get into pharmacy for money, but because I had a true interest in doing something healthcare related, but didn't want to get my hands dirty like a MD or dentist does. Why didn't you like dental school?

Completely agree, but I think a lot of people knew that if they could get in somewhere they would eventually get a job that paid 100K+ when they graduated :soexcited:, but even though that's a nice salary compared to the general population, I know a lot of people that make a lot more with less education.

Be careful throwing the "diploma mill" term around as people on this board seem to go crazy and attack you when you use that term. I was corrected in another thread when I used that term by a member stating there are no schools in the United States that currently meet the definition of diploma mill..... I would have argued but I'd be banging my head against the wall again:bang:

I love the pharmacy profession but I don't love all the political and economic complications that have come along with it lately. I didn't get into pharmacy for money, but because I had a true interest in doing something healthcare related, but didn't want to get my hands dirty like a MD or dentist does. Why didn't you like dental school?
I just bumped a very useful thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=759081 just in case anyone wants to know what a diploma mill is. LOL...I would list a few here but that thread did a good job already.

I dropped dentisty mainly cuz I went to a very expensive school and didn't want to be in all that debt plus I didn't want to open up my own practice and be in even MORE debt. Plus like you I didn't want my hands dirty either...that was also the reason why I didn't want to do MD. I think I just need a work at home job. Mail order seems like a good idea for right now. :)

I just bumped a very useful thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=759081 just in case anyone wants to know what a diploma mill is. LOL...I would list a few here but that thread did a good job already.

I dropped dentisty mainly cuz I went to a very expensive school and didn't want to be in all that debt plus I didn't want to open up my own practice and be in even MORE debt. Plus like you I didn't want my hands dirty either...that was also the reason why I didn't want to do MD. I think I just need a work at home job. Mail order seems like a good idea for right now. :)

I have some dentist friends that acquired 200k worth of student loans that are making bank now. But only do it for the right reasons. If I could just sit at home and data review all day from a laptop, sign me up! :thumbup:

I have some dentist friends that acquired 200k worth of student loans that are making bank now. But only do it for the right reasons. If I could just sit at home and data review all day from a laptop, sign me up! :thumbup:

I would have been like 280K in debt if I graduated dental school...Ivy league schools are expensive. :rolleyes: If someone would let me SKIP dental school and go straight into Orthodontic residency and become an orthodontist, I would do that! ;) Otherwise, just sign me up for work at home pharmacist that just review scripts on a laptop! :D I know one pharmacist that does that, but I heard the job is hard to get.

I would have been like 280K in debt if I graduated dental school...Ivy league schools are expensive. :rolleyes: If someone would let me SKIP dental school and go straight into Orthodontic residency and become an orthodontist, I would do that! ;) Otherwise, just sign me up for work at home pharmacist that just review scripts on a laptop! :D I know one pharmacist that does that, but I heard the job is hard to get.

Yeah going through four years to acquire 280k with the slim chance of getting an ortho match would be a tough nail to bite. People on this thread would also argue that it didn't matter you went to ivy league for dental school everyone gets a job! :laugh: