DO School rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ike88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone speak to which DO schools are top tier? It is harder to find info about this online compared to allopathic schools.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

DMU is the top 5 and no other school is anywhere close.

This has been discussed 1 x 10^5 times on this board and could be found by a quick search. just searching "ranking" on this forum gives a number of threads. do work son!

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU is the top 5 and no other school is anywhere close.

This has been discussed 1 x 10^5 times on this board and could be found by a quick search. just searching "ranking" on this forum gives a number of threads. do work son!

You're not biased or anything :p

You're not biased or anything :p

not at all. the official rankings are:

1. DMU (golden)
2. KCOM (because one of my official SDN friends got accepted)
3. Touro-NV (because another of my official SDN friends got accepted)
4. KCUMB (because I attended their interview)
5. NSU (first interview I got)
6. MSU (they sound good)
7. AZCOM (second interview)
8-28ish (various reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with they quality of the school)

OP- I hope you gather from this list is that there are no rankings and every ranking system you get is going to be subjective and biased for some reason. Look at the thousands of posts about it to see the schools that consistently land in the top 10 from many biased lists and create your own.

1. DMU (golden)
6. MSU (they sound good)
8-28ish (various reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with they quality of the school)

Brilliant. :laugh:

first five (kcom, dmu, ccom, pcom, kcumb) + state schools (msu, nj, ou, osu)= top DO schools

Everyone knows you guys all wish you could go to MSUCOM but can't because of the OOS tuition.

MSUCOM = Best DO school :D

1. DMU (golden)
6. MSU (they sound good)

OP- I hope you gather from this list is that there are no rankings and every ranking system you get is going to be subjective and biased for some reason. Look at the thousands of posts about it to see the schools that consistently land in the top 10 from many biased lists and create your own.

Hahaha... In that case, I approve? :-D

Members don't see this ad :)
This question always leads to a pissing match lol
However, most people will tell you first 5...but there is success found in almost every osteopathic school, if you are capable and hard-working.

1. DMU (golden)
6. MSU (they sound good)

^Bahaha love this :laugh:

first five (kcom, dmu, ccom, pcom, kcumb) + state schools (msu, nj, ou, osu)= top DO schools

^Truth

The big state DO schools have an inherent advantage, and I believe they play a role in protecting the DO degree in the eye of the public and looking after their graduates. They share the same ecosystem within the state with the other state universities, including access to some resources. Faculty and staff are government employees and supported by an entrenched bureaucracy, politicians and alumni throughout the state. They can self-perpetuate and influence policy in the same way as the state MD schools.

For multiple reasons, I would put the public DO schools in the upper-most tier, above even the original 5. They are truly on a whole different playing field. It can't be stated enough how crucial they are for the profession.

For multiple reasons, I would put the public DO schools in the upper-most tier, above even the original 5. They are truly on a whole different playing field. It can't be stated enough how crucial they are for the profession.

I do agree that large public state schools are great for the future of DO and while some are definitely better than the originally 5 i would not say all of them are. However I hope that all new DO schools be created with the stipulation that they have an affiliation with a public university.

I dont understand the point of creating new schools like campbell and marian. In my opinions its better to build up the schools that currently exist rather than bring in more low tier DO schools, which just continues the false notion that DO schools are second rate.

Last edited:
I do agree that large public state schools are great for the future of DO and while some are definitely better than the originally 5 i would not say all of them are. However I hope that all new DO schools be created with the stipulation that they have an affiliation with a public university.

research funding (DO/PhD biomedical sciences)?
national recognition?
residencies?
tuition?
university support?
matriculation numbers?

CpGisland, you forgot TCOM and WVSOM in your list of public DO schools. It's hard to ignore TCOM's 12K IS tuition :eek: Even their OOS tuition is lower than most private schools.

Since I'm from the state of Indiana and shadowed a DO who is part of the committee trying to establish marian, I will say this. Marian University is working hand and hand with Indiana University Medical School to try to increase the amount of primary care physicians in the state of Indiana. The two will work together in terms of seeing how courses are taught and how the university is run, etc. I believe that having a well establish MD school like IU help out a DO school get started is how it should be. The union of MD and DO for the betterment of the US healthcare system.

The way I see it is that if a new university wants to establish a school, then following a template that works is the key. I'd be worried about the Touro DO schools and the schools that look like they just wanna squeeze money from students like LECOM and Rocky Vista.

Oh, and I agree with CpGisland's ranking of DO schools.

I dont understand the point of creating new schools like campbell and marian. In my opinions its better to build up the schools that currently exist rather than bring in more low tier DO schools, which just continues the false notion that DO schools are second rate.

Last edited:
It's hard to ignore TCOM's 12K IS tuition :eek: Even their OOS tuition is lower than most private schools.

It's not just the cheap tuition. TCOM enjoys a fine reputation acquired over the years - and a nice location in Fort Worth, which is hard to miss when you visit the Kimbell Art Museum (or any other museum in the museum district). A good number of MD students in Texas have interviewed there as a backup in TMDSAS, so they're familiar with the school. Similarly TCOM grads have built up a good record with PDs in ACGME programs, which ensures its continuing success. It also has strong backers in the state legislature.

i did mean to include TCOM in the list of top DO schools

Since I'm from the state of Indiana and shadowed a DO who is part of the committee trying to establish marian, I will say this. Marian University is working hand and hand with Indiana University Medical School to try to increase the amount of primary care physicians in the state of Indiana. The two will work together in terms of seeing how courses are taught and how the university is run, etc. I believe that having a well establish MD school like IU help out a DO school get started is how it should be. The union of MD and DO for the betterment of the US healthcare system.

The way I see it is that if a new university wants to establish a school, then following a template that works is the key. I'd be worried about the Touro DO schools and the schools that look like they just wanna squeeze money from students like LECOM and Rocky Vista.

Oh, and I agree with CpGisland's ranking of DO schools.

Knocking other schools in an effort to defend Marian is pretty lame. One of LECOM's best qualities is their low tuition so saying they are trying to squeeze money from their students is odd. I know 3 Touro grads who have nothing but positive things to say about that program. Not sure about Rocky Vista, you may be right there.