Do schools discriminate? Please help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caseys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do Pharmacy schools discriminate between an out of state and in state student by giving preference to In state? Apparently In State helps get more funding plus I have looked at a couple of schools in Texas and some say in state is given preference, PLUS the stats accepted from previoius years are like 95% to 5% out-State.........However I called UT Austin Pharmacy and their admissions said they don't give preference its just based off students who apply there.....even though their stats are like 140 in state to 5 out of state....

I REALLY need to know this because I plan on doing my pre-reqs in California and move back to Texas where I will qualify for something called Hazlewood act which pays most of my school IN Texas. If the answer is Yes, my wife and I will have to separate ;( long distance...

Members don't see this ad.

Usually they tell you if in state is a preference. The school I got accepted to gives extra admission points for in state.

If it is a public school then yes in state students are preferred. This is because public schools are funded somewhat from the state and they have to accecpt a certain amount of in state students. For private it's what ever they want. Usually equal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some public schools dont care and in some ways prefer out of state students who pay higher tuitions, are less likely to stay in-state after graduation, driving up local demand for pharmacists making the school a constant "destination".

Do Pharmacy schools discriminate between an out of state and in state student by giving preference to In state? Apparently In State helps get more funding plus I have looked at a couple of schools in Texas and some say in state is given preference, PLUS the stats accepted from previoius years are like 95% to 5% out-State.........However I called UT Austin Pharmacy and their admissions said they don't give preference its just based off students who apply there.....even though their stats are like 140 in state to 5 out of state....

I REALLY need to know this because I plan on doing my pre-reqs in California and move back to Texas where I will qualify for something called Hazlewood act which pays most of my school IN Texas. If the answer is Yes, my wife and I will have to separate ;( long distance...
Depends on the school.

Discriminate is a very misleading word here because overall in-state schools are funded by tax money from people living in that state. So inherently, it would make sense to give advantage to applicants who are from in-state.

Reactions: 1 users
Some state universities have high number of instate applicants. However out of state students pay more than their share in tuition. These schools often take a certain minimum number of out of state students (20% or so). This means that an out of state student might get in instead of an in-state student merely for funding purposes.