DO Schools with No DO Shadowing Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heronumber1one1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list of osteopathic medical schools (or can name some) that do not require any DO physician shadowing (ie. not DO letter required)? I know that PCOM does not (although they highly recommend it), but was wondering if there were any other ones?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a list of osteopathic medical schools (or can name some) that do not require any DO physician shadowing (ie. not DO letter required)? I know that PCOM does not (although they highly recommend it), but was wondering if there were any other ones?

Thanks!

Check out my signature for a spreadsheet with that info.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just a question... why wouldn't you shadow a DO if you want to go into Osteopathic Medicine (other than location and you living in an area that isn't DO heavy).

I just decided to apply to one or two DO schools as backup, and I don't feel like going through the whole shadowing process again or risk delaying the applications any further.

I just decided to apply to one or two DO schools as backup, and I don't feel like going through the whole shadowing process again or risk delaying the applications any further.

Even if you don't need the letter, you should try to shadow a DO ASAP. Why would they want to accept you if you can't answer the question "WHY DO?" without using the word "BACKUP"??

I don't feel as if I have to shadow a DO physician to spit out the same "cooker-cutter" reasons for wanting to be a DO (that is, reasons that are different from wanting to be a physician in general)...granted, shadowing a DO would probably lend more credibility to the fact that I want to be a DO (though I disagree with this point because I know of several colleagues that have shadowed DO's and have stated that the experience is no different than the MD's that they shadowed)...ultimately, showcasing my desire to pursue osteopathic medicine would probably come into play most significantly in the interview; whereby if I am in the position to receive a DO interview, I can speak to a few DOs and "show" them that I have done my "research".

Essentially, I don't feel as if shadowing a DO would help me see if osteopathic medicine is for me; my efforts would be better spent researching the basic tenets of osteopathic medicine and seeing if those are a perfect match for my future goals. However, it may a whole different story when it comes to what osteopathic schools would like to see as "due diligence".

You need to experience OMM to believe in it.

Eh. Not really. Sometimes experiencing it will make you not believe in it. It is the person. While OMM is a key difference in the curriculum, it is a miniscule difference for more than 9 out of 10 DOs practicing. The OP should avoid seeing the school as a backup though. I know people that go into multiple MD programs and got turned down from DO. It happens. Viewing the schools as a "backup" is essentially believing they are inferior and lower quality. They really do tend to look at a lot more qualities than gpa and mcat. I've met many people on the interview trail that were far more interesting than me or any other premed. Navy EOD divers and paramedics, Division 1 Football players for major schools, PAs, PHDs, and just about anything else you can imagine. The standard biology major with 3.6 gpa and 30 mcat seems to almost be a rarity.

Eh. Not really. Sometimes experiencing it will make you not believe in it. It is the person. While OMM is a key difference in the curriculum, it is a miniscule difference for more than 9 out of 10 DOs practicing. The OP should avoid seeing the school as a backup though. I know people that go into multiple MD programs and got turned down from DO. It happens. Viewing the schools as a "backup" is essentially believing they are inferior and lower quality. They really do tend to look at a lot more qualities than gpa and mcat. I've met many people on the interview trail that were far more interesting than me or any other premed. Navy EOD divers and paramedics, Division 1 Football players for major schools, PAs, PHDs, and just about anything else you can imagine. The standard biology major with 3.6 gpa and 30 mcat seems to almost be a rarity.

:thumbup::thumbup:

The first time I met a DO was at my first DO interview.

That said, I did my homework (read the Gevitz book) and knew what I was talking about in the DO vs MD realm.

If you can find DO to shadow, I would do it. If you can't, I wouldn't worry too much as long as you interview well (don't come off as applying there as "just" a backup) and have an otherwise great app.

Des Moines(they do need 1 letter which comments on medical experience)
Kirksville
UMDNJ
NYIT
Ohio U
PCOM-GA
PCOM-Philly
Texas
West Virginia
Michigan State
University of New England

For the rest, they required an M.D. or D.O., preferrably D.O.

Hope this helps ;)

I've still never met a DO in real life. I'm starting to think they are a mythical creature - much like the unicorn - that was imagined by pre-allo students so they had something to discuss on internet forums.

I've still never met a DO in real life. I'm starting to think they are a mythical creature - much like the unicorn - that was imagined by pre-allo students so they had something to discuss on internet forums.

So when did the imaginary DOs make up the even-more-mythical Chiropractor for the same purpose? The next day, perhaps?

So when did the imaginary DOs make up the even-more-mythical Chiropractor for the same purpose? The next day, perhaps?

The Chiropractor is a spin-off from the popular 'DO' series. Without as many mystical powers as the DO, the Chiropractor relies on his keen ability to destroy enemies by slowly wearing down their spine via adjustments that feel really good for like ten minutes ... but then you feel worse than before - RENDERING VILLIANS USELESS!!!!!

('The Chiropractor' and all Chiropractor likenesses and symbols are property of JaggerPlate enterprises. Not to be used without expressed written permission. )

Without as many mystical powers as the DO, the Chiropractor relies on his keen ability to destroy enemies by slowly wearing down their spine via adjustments that feel really good for like ten minutes ... but then you feel worse than before - RENDERING VILLIANS USELESS!!!!!

Sounds brutal. I hope these treatments are at least covered by insurance...but it wouldn't be the first time insurance companies caused slow, painful deaths. ;)

That said, I did my homework (read the Gevitz book) and knew what I was talking about in the DO vs MD realm.

thnaks for the tip on the Gevitz book.... I just bought it. I haven't posted on here much, but I have been going through a lot of the DO or MD biz. And I must say, i am leaning alot more towards DO. I have over five years experience in massage and I really feel like even in you can't "feel" the OMM, just being able to palpate your clients and understanding common musculoskelatal sources of pain is really important. Especially if you know how to fix them. I have had so many clients with chronic headaches and I often times find their top cervical vertebrae out. or I have even had clients that think they have carpal tunnel and are considering surgery, and I look for tightness in their scalenes or pec minor, as those muscles can often pinch the nerve leading to a loss of feeling and/or referred nerve pain.

there is a lot to be said to be trained to understand how to palpate for sources of pain or dysfunction. If you were not given this training you would just be a physician powerless, not able to fix the cause and only able to give pain killers...

It's all about the touch.

So props to you folks going the DO route. :rolleyes: