DO Schools with strongest M3 Clinical Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pyrogen15

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

In speaking to Osteopathiac providers, I have heard that some DO programs have somewhat weak M3 clinical rotations. I have heard that PCOM, LECOM, and KCUCOM all have great rotations and I am applying to those three. I was wondering what other programs have solid rotations that would set you up well for residency placement. As well, what schools tend to favor research for medical school students? With Step 1 being pass fail I have heard that is more of the standard for acceptance into programs. For reference I am considering going into BMT (obviously could change) but I want to be able to match into a good enough IM residency for that so I can go into further heme/onc and BMT fellowships.

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

They’re osteopathic physicians not providers

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The state schools.

Rotations are best at schools with affliated academic hospitals: PCOM, MSUCOM, OSUCOM, KCUCOM, maybe the Midwesterns (AZCOM, CCOM).
Similarly for research focus, since academic physicians are the ones doing research.

What some call "weak" rotations can offer unintended benefits, such as individualized, unopposed training, but this is highly variable and therefore unpredictable even within a school. "strong" rotations generally means more standardized/regulated preceptors and/or the presence of residents.

A little early to be thinking about fellowship, but rough rule of thumb is aim as high as possible and you'll be fine wherever you land.

TCOM has strong local affiliations and all third year rotations are scheduled by the school. Only 12 or so people (out of 230) rotated away from home during M3.

Don't know if they are "strong" rotations, but TUNCOM's rotations are all in the Las Vegas area if I'm not mistaken, which is very convenient as a lot of DO schools will make you travel all over for rotations. Allows you to build better relationships with the physicians and staff at those sites imo.
Agreed, just graduated from TUNCOM. All the rotations were within 30 miles radius.