DO shadowing problems.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mcat35

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so far I've not heard back from 2x DOs that I have contacted to shadow. Is there a list of DOs that would be easier to get in touch with? The 2x DOs I've contacted works at the ICU or the ER. Are family practice physicians easier to shadow?

let me know

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Here's the site a bunch of people have used to find DO shadowing opportunities:
http://cf.osteopathic.org/iLearn/home.cfm

I'm about to use it soon as well.

Thanks a lot

My 2nd questions is should I just go to their offices or should I call first? I'm afraid that when I call and I reach their receptionist (the 1st physician I called), that the receptionist would forget to tell the physician of my interest?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot

My 2nd questions is should I just go to their offices or should I call first? I'm afraid that when I call and I reach their receptionist (the 1st physician I called), that the receptionist would forget to tell the physician of my interest?
In my situation, I just called around. The receptionist answered, said that Dr. Blah does allow shadowing, and wanted my name and number. He returned my call that afternoon.

Surprisingly I've always had much more difficulty shadowing DO's than MD's. I can't explain why...

Calling 2 family practice DO's this week. I'll let you know if I have any luck over the phone!

Thanks a lot

I don't really like that website. Where I live in southern california, the DO's that were willing to let me shadow were all an hour away. The ones that were close by seemed to not be so responsive to shadowing. I had better luck cold calling some offices and explained that I was a premed and would like to shadow the Dr.

I had to call like 10-12 D.O. offices (found in phonebook and hospital directories) before I got one to call back to set up shadowing. In my experience I shadowed a family practice physician and in my opinion they are probably the easiest to set up shadowing with. It definitely sucked calling random offices as it was awkward with many offering no response or shooting me down. However, it is probably something you must do and perseverance works so keep at it. :). good luck!

thanks all,

this is all I'm pretty much doing + applications for the next couple of weeks. Hopefully I can get one set up by middle of this month so I can shadow for a month or two and the recommendation letters would not be too late.

I've had the same issue. What worked for me is asking if there are any DOs that worked in the office that allowed for shadowing experience. Most of the office staff were willing to help. Don't give up; it took me like three weeks to nail down someone.

i used the AOA website to find a family practice DO. i can't stress enough how much precious time you waste by not sending letters to the DO's office. you can cold call all you want and wait for a call back but most of the time the receptionist won't even pass the message along to the doctor.

i wasted weeks just cold calling and then finally took the time to write a short cover letter explaining my interest in shadowing. i attached my resume as well. later that week i had 3 doctors calling me back. i sent 10 letters total and some never responded. so in my opinion, start sending some letters! it doesn't hurt! :)

good luck!

i used the AOA website to find a family practice DO. i can't stress enough how much precious time you waste by not sending letters to the DO's office. you can cold call all you want and wait for a call back but most of the time the receptionist won't even pass the message along to the doctor.

i wasted weeks just cold calling and then finally took the time to write a short cover letter explaining my interest in shadowing. i attached my resume as well. later that week i had 3 doctors calling me back. i sent 10 letters total and some never responded. so in my opinion, start sending some letters! it doesn't hurt! :)

good luck!

That sounds really good, I'm gonna do this. Thank you so much.

I called around 15 DOs using AOA website search function. I was discouraged at first because some of the listing is out of date or the doctors were too busy and my message never got to the physician from the receptionist. However, few days later I received around 6 calls. I explained my situation and they were willing to let me shadow them.
Keep calling and if you are nearby their clinic, I suggest you go them see them personally with resume and a cover letter. However, because there are no DOs around my area I had to call and they understood.
Most were willing to let me shadow right away while few of them asked me to send request letters.
Family physicians are most willing to let you shadow since it is their own clinic. I had an offer from an attending surgeon who was willing to let me shadow but I turned it down because I already got a letter, lived far away, and extra letters don't really make any difference if it's only gonna be a generic letter.
Be tenacious!

I used the AOA website to find DOs around my area. I called a few DOs and left messages, but some never called me back. The other ones had outdated numbers. I had lost hope after a couple of weeks and thought I would have to wait until I get back from my mission trip in July before I can start searching again. But one of the DOs I contacted actually called me back. He did a quick interview on the phone and set up a date for me 2 days later. He's not in family practice anymore, but he's now solely focused on OMM. Just keep trying!!

if it makes you feel better, I just spent a couple hours on google searching and doing some research on each person before I called. The first guy I called said he didn't do shadowing (the receptionist told me). But the second call did the trick (and he's an ophthalmologist)!!

Just keep calling; I think DO physicians know that we need LORs just like they did, so they empathize with us more lol.

For those who have shadowed, how many hours approximately did you do it before you asked for an LOR? Days? Weeks? Months? This guy seems really cool so I'll be shadowing him even after my LOR, but I don't want to be too late in application season either, lol.

Help me out brotha's!

if it makes you feel better, I just spent a couple hours on google searching and doing some research on each person before I called. The first guy I called said he didn't do shadowing (the receptionist told me). But the second call did the trick (and he's an ophthalmologist)!!

Just keep calling; I think DO physicians know that we need LORs just like they did, so they empathize with us more lol.

For those who have shadowed, how many hours approximately did you do it before you asked for an LOR? Days? Weeks? Months? This guy seems really cool so I'll be shadowing him even after my LOR, but I don't want to be too late in application season either, lol.

Help me out brotha's!

Hey you, this past Thursday it was my first day shadowing the DO and right away I told her that I would need a LOR from her after I shadow for a few weeks and she said no problem :D I suggest you state what you want early because I have heard in the past that people shadow DOs and then when it came down to ask for the letter, the DOs got busy and didn't write one. Before you make good amount of shadowing hours let them know what you want! It is easier to ask at the beginning then later! That way you will feel better knowing that you will get LOR from them.