DO student wondering about MD NSG chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lander110

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS3 at a DO school but want to apply MD neurosurgery. With the merger, there are only 2 formerly DO programs that have gotten MD accreditation thus far (for a total of 3 residency spots). I'm strongly considering not applying to NSG d/t the high probability (in my mind) that I will not match as a DO student. Do you guys think I can match?

DO student
Step 1: 262
Comlex 1: 825
Class Rank: Top 10%
Clinical Grades: Honors in Surgery, IM, EM, OBGYN, Psych. HP in Peds. FM still to come
Awards: Gold Humanism, Sigma Sigma Phi, First Place poster presentations, National student researcher of the year award
Research:
-pubs: 3 published cardiovascular papers in middle to large cardio journals (2nd and 3rd authors), 3 additional papers submitted but in the process of getting accepted (1st author on two, 2nd author on another --> all non-neurosurgery related).
-presentations: 13 poster presentations, many at major national conferences. mainly cardiovascular related
Work experience: unique healthcare related work experience x 4 years before coming to medical school (ex. surgical tech, etc)

Thanks for your input in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a MS3 at a DO school but want to apply MD neurosurgery. With the merger, there are only 2 formerly DO programs that have gotten MD accreditation thus far (for a total of 3 residency spots). I'm strongly considering not applying to NSG d/t the high probability (in my mind) that I will not match as a DO student. Do you guys think I can match?

DO student
Step 1: 262
Comlex 1: 825
Class Rank: Top 10%
Clinical Grades: Honors in Surgery, IM, EM, OBGYN, Psych. HP in Peds. FM still to come
Awards: Gold Humanism, Sigma Sigma Phi, First Place poster presentations, National student researcher of the year award
Research:
-pubs: 3 published cardiovascular papers in middle to large cardio journals (2nd and 3rd authors), 3 additional papers submitted but in the process of getting accepted (1st author on two, 2nd author on another --> all non-neurosurgery related).
-presentations: 13 poster presentations, many at major national conferences. mainly cardiovascular related
Work experience: unique healthcare related work experience x 4 years before coming to medical school (ex. surgical tech, etc)

Thanks for your input in advance!

First of all, congrats on an amazing medical school performance so far. You should be proud.

It's really, really hard to say who can get in where when it comes to being a DO and neurosurgery. The only data we have is limited. Here is the ACGME program director survey.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

So, out of 28 programs polled, only 7 (25%) reported they would interview and rank an osteopathic physician. Note, there are 106 programs right now, so this data is hard to interpret. Suffice it to say the DO bias is real.

There are a few DOs who matched into neurosurgery. I would recommend e-mailing them individually for advice. A DO getting into ACGME neurosurgery is not common, so I doubt anyone on here can relate with you fully (I'm MD, applied this year). Use PubMed or Google to find their e-mails. I only know of some of these residents:

Mayo Clinic - Jacksonville
Resident Profiles - Neurologic Surgery Residency (Florida) - Mayo Clinic

Dartmouth-Hitchcock
Current Residents and Alumni | Neurosurgery Residency | Residents & Fellows | Dartmouth-Hitchcock

University of Rochester
Our Residents - Neurosurgery Residency Program - Prospective Residents - Graduate Medical Education - Education - University of Rochester Medical Center

Tulane
| medicine

I'm just an MS4, but I saw some trends on the trail, and as a DO you have to have all your ducks lined up. One hole in your app is lack of neurosurgery research. How much do you want neurosurgery? If you really want it, my best advice would be to do a research year at a good neurosurgery program that can get you published well in the field, set you up with a good LOR, and even help you get good Sub-Is.

Neurosurgery is a tiny field, and it's 95% who you know.

Reactions: 1 user
With the recent merger, we do not have the data back to see how DO applicants are viewed. I do suspect, though, that historic DO programs will continue to have a DO preference. A significant part of the selection process is comfort with an applicants background, which for these programs and those schools, has been established.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a neurosurgery resident.

like others have said, you have competitive stats. However, the DOs who have matched neurosurgery in the past (and MDs for that matter) have wanted neurosurgery with every fiber of their being. I met DOs (and MDs) this year in their second/third interview process who have had to endure multiple prelim years.

It's good that you're being realistic, but with this specialty, it's either all or nothing. If you want this, I would start setting up auditions at programs you are interested in. You need to network and build connections. This is such a small world. If you make a good impression on somebody, they will make phone calls and get you into programs.

Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Boils down to finding someone with clout willing to go to bat for you.