DO students who matched (or didn't) . . .can you answers a few questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AR1776

Flying through
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering:
-did you take the usmle 1 or 2 and do you think it helped?
-if you got your first pick
-which match did you participate in (one the other or both)?
-and where did you match?
-if you didn't match, were you able to scramble?
Thanks, I've been waiting all year to ask you all this!

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't take the USMLE, but probably should have.
Did the MD match only.
Got my first pick.
USF in Tampa.

Q

Why do you say you should have if you got your first pick?

just wonderin

Members don't see this ad :)
AR1776 said:
I was wondering:

Submitted COMLEX only
SUNY Upstate Medical University
Participated in allo match only
not 1st choice (but VERY happy where I matched) :thumbup:

Dr. Hokis said:
Why do you say you should have if you got your first pick?

just wonderin
For me, I don't think I needed it, I had a strong application, I believe... however, the average DO student who has average grades, average board scores, and maybe not so much in their background to boost their app, may want to consider taking the USMLE.

Q

AR1776 said:
I was wondering:

AR1776:

Did not take USMLE. Only did allopathic match. Match at Medical College of Georgia.

Wook

-took USMLE step 1. not sure how much it helped. it probably will only hurt if you fail it.
-only participated in allopathic match
-matched at UCSF-Fresno (1st choice)

Took both USMLE's and both COMLEX. I don't think it hurts you all that bad at average programs but it can seriously help you at top programs. I was flat out told when I interviewed at some top places that my USMLE scores had opened the door for me. I don't think it closes too many doors by not taking it, but it sure can help...big time. PD's seem to look more favorably on high USMLE scores than high COMLEX scores. Its just one of those things they can use to strengthen their justification for wanting you against a stellar MD student, if they have something to compare apples to apples. I recommend it only for DO students who scored > 600 on COMLEX. I believe anyone who scores less than this is highly unlikely to do well enough on USMLE for it to help them. You are just wasting your money. But >600, and especially >700, my experience tells me you have a good chance of rocking the USMLE (especially step II) and you should do it.

If you are average though across the board, you just need to apply to lots of places and don't hold out for places like Carolinas or Vanderbilt. Be happy with interviewing anyplace and just play the statistical odds by doing lots of applications and interviews.

FYI, applied only allopathic EM, >40 programs, 75% interviews offered, went on 15 total, and got my 3rd choice. My top 2 choices were probably well out of my league to begin with and I know I am much happier being at my 3rd now that I am headed there. I'm now a Hawkeye!!

-I had planned on taking USMLE step I but cancelled last minute b/c of feeling ill-prepared.
-Did take USMLE II (as well as COMLEX I&II).
There is a lot of philosophy on whether a D.O. should take the USMLE. Two quick thoughts: For me it was worth the extra scratch. Secondly, it was commented upon in a few interviews and I feel that it may have greased the wheel in what is becoming a very competitive interview-selection process.

-For all intents and purposes, I only participated in the allo-match.
I got my 1st choice...Indiana and I am ecstatic! I think the single most important factor is an audition rotation. I am certain that performing well on an audition rotation caries greater weight in the selection process than superior board scores/gpa/LOR in most programs. The problem is that you can only do a finite number of audition rotations. The best advice I could give you is try to figure out as early as possible where you "think" your top choice is and go there and bust your butt. I put think in quotes b/c, as you can see by the pre-feb 22nd posts, even after endless research, dialogues, and interviews it still becomes very difficult to finalize your rank order list.

Scrambling into an EM slot (strictly based on anecdotal evidence) is extremely hard because of ultra-limited supply and scrambling into a desirable EM slot seems even less likely. Hope this helps.