DO then reapply MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rubik

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the forum, tried to do a search on this topic but couldn't find anything about it. I know this may sound crazy and make me look like a pretentious bastard, but I applied TMDSAS and only interviewed and accepted into TCOM. I have a 4.0 and outstanding EC's/PS/LoRs, but my MCAT was terrible (dont really want to say what it is), so I asked my advisor what I should do and she told me to release the scores anyway and see how this cycle goes. Now, I got into TCOM, which is an absolutely great school don't get me wrong, but I'm just really scared about the future when I have to match residency, as I don't want to be held back just because of a DO degree. Is it possible to retake the MCAT this semester, still attend TCOM for a year and see how I like it, but still reapply to an MD school during first year and evaluate everything from there?

Again, sorry for asking such a question. I should be more grateful that a terrific school like TCOM even considered me. I just had problems leading up to the MCAT, and I had taken it in late May so that put me in a bad position too. I know that if I retook it I could do a whole lot better.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it possible? Probably. Is it probable? No. You'll need a fantastic reason and its a very risky move because its very possible they won't take you after you quit one medical school. Your worries about matching are probably unfounded or exaggerated, but regardless, if you really don't want DO, then don't go at all. If you spend a year that you'll probably have to repeat anyway, it shows a lack of commitment.

If you didn't want the DO degree you shouldnt have applied. Why spend the tuition and time for 1 year of osteopathic medical school when you are going to in reality drop out and restart at an allopathic school?

It makes no sense.

Just retake the MCAT when your ready, if you do well enough where you feel you can get into an allopathic school that will like better then TCOM then just take the year off and dont bother with TCOM. But if you dont do as well as you hoped, go to TCOM and dont look back.

I dont know what TMDSAS is but congrats on TCOM!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're not going to be happy with a DO, then don't go to TCOM at all. Lokhtar is right - you'll be a re-applicant who is leaving a medical school. I'd say either go all DO or don't accept at TCOM and reapply.

I dont know what TMDSAS is but congrats on TCOM!

Texas Medical and Dental School Application Service. Texas schools use that instead of AACOMAS.

...because Texas thinks they're so much better than the rest of the Union. ;) :laugh:

Hey guys, new to the forum, tried to do a search on this topic but couldn't find anything about it. I know this may sound crazy and make me look like a pretentious bastard, but I applied TMDSAS and only interviewed and accepted into TCOM. I have a 4.0 and outstanding EC's/PS/LoRs, but my MCAT was terrible (dont really want to say what it is), so I asked my advisor what I should do and she told me to release the scores anyway and see how this cycle goes. Now, I got into TCOM, which is an absolutely great school don't get me wrong, but I'm just really scared about the future when I have to match residency, as I don't want to be held back just because of a DO degree. Is it possible to retake the MCAT this semester, still attend TCOM for a year and see how I like it, but still reapply to an MD school during first year and evaluate everything from there?

Again, sorry for asking such a question. I should be more grateful that a terrific school like TCOM even considered me. I just had problems leading up to the MCAT, and I had taken it in late May so that put me in a bad position too. I know that if I retook it I could do a whole lot better.

First, congratulations. RE: apprehension about the future, anything of such an order will be true if you don't do well in school- regardless of where you go. If you are a good student, you will be able to specialize in the field that you'd like to go into. If, for whichever personal reason(s) that it may be, you do not want to be a student at TCOM for sure, (IE planning on dropping out, while reapplying, etc.), then you should seriously consider giving up that space to an equally deserving student, who would do anything to have that spot. Beware that both schools (MD/DO) will also be hesitant in accepting you after seeing that you have already withdrawn from a medical school in the past.

wow, you guys are fast thanx for the quick replies:). Honestly, I really don't care about the last 2 letters after my name. I know I can excel in medical school and do well on the boards, and hopefully that'll propel me into the residency that I want (general surgery). So I guess my next step is to look onto the DO forums and see if the rumors of a harder residency match are true or not. I appreciate all your help!

please do a search first! ha

wow, you guys are fast thanx for the quick replies:). Honestly, I really don't care about the last 2 letters after my name. I know I can excel in medical school and do well on the boards, and hopefully that'll propel me into the residency that I want (general surgery). So I guess my next step is to look onto the DO forums and see if the rumors of a harder residency match are true or not. I appreciate all your help!

If you TRULY don't care about the letters behind your name...I don't think having DO behind your name is going to hurt you as much as you might think. The most competitive residencies are just as hard to get as an MD...so, rather than waste a year, I'd get into school...again...ONLY if you truly want the degree.

If you get into an allopathic school and don't do extremely well, you won't be a plastics guy anyway. :)

^ and it is not impossible to go into plastics as a DO. I think this is a common misconception. I am not implying that that is what you meant MJB I am just adding.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ and it is not impossible to go into plastics as a DO. I think this is a common misconception. I am not implying that that is what you meant MJB I am just adding.

Yeah, not what I meant at all :)....I'm simply saying to get into the most competitive residencies, you have to do EXTREMELY well in school and on the boards, no matter the letters behind your name.

Has there ever even been a DO placed in integrated plastics? That would take some doing, considering its a pipe dream for most allo students as well.

I have heard a few cases where a DO got into an integrated plastics, though it's extremely competitive, but i think for the most part they do general surgery then a fellowship in plastics, which alot of MD's do anyway. I guess with the rise in Dr. 90210, Nip/Tuck, etc. the plastics has become even more competitive!

There aren't that many integrated plastics residency programs out there. This forum's obsession with integrated plastics is a little strange. Maybe just because it sounds cool. If a DO student really wanted to grab one of those spots though, I'm sure he or she could do it. It would just take big numbers, great rotation scores, and probably some face time at or around the program.

Is an integrated plastics program really that much better than the traditional route to plastics? I guess it can save some time, but the end result is the same, as far as I can tell.

There aren't that many integrated plastics residency programs out there. This forum's obsession with integrated plastics is a little strange. Maybe just because it sounds cool. If a DO student really wanted to grab one of those spots though, I'm sure he or she could do it. It would just take big numbers, great rotation scores, and probably some face time at or around the program.

Is an integrated plastics program really that much better than the traditional route to plastics? I guess it can save some time, but the end result is the same, as far as I can tell.

Haha, I think there is obsession only because it is probably the most selective of residencies - pretty much if you can land that, you can land anything.

I would rather go to someone who is double board certified, general surgery and plastic surgery rather than someone that did an integrated plastics... i duno it seems like the guy who did gen surg then plastics is more qualified to me.

I am probably completely wrong though.

I would rather go to someone who is double board certified, general surgery and plastic surgery rather than someone that did an integrated plastics... i duno it seems like the guy who did gen surg then plastics is more qualified to me.

I am probably completely wrong though.

Yea, you are. :p General surgery = king of the abdomen. Facial reconstruction is a whole new ball park - and they probably are equally qualified.

I am not refuting that I am completely wrong btw, just adding to the discussion.

Partly prestige, maybe. And for those who only want to do aesthetics and those cool big ol' flaps, they don't really desire the G Surg PGY-4 and PGY-5 years dealing with horribly sick liver/trauma/open abdomen/etc. patients.

MD or DO, it's damn hard to land one of the Integrated Plastics spots.

You said you applied to TCOM and got in, but would really like to go to MD school. Here are things you need to consider: Was MD always a dream that you always wanted and TCOM a backup school? Will you yourself always be thinking about "what if I was an MD?" Analyze your thinking and how you see your future in 15 years. Talk to some DO and MD physicians about the pros and cons the osteopathic medical school. Then make the decision for yourself. In my opinion no one should apply to back up schools their first application cycle, if they have the resources (can live at home, get a job, etc.) to apply two years in a row. That way they don't have to make a decision about going somewhere that is not their first choice. With that being said I'm at DO school and LOVE IT!!!!!!!!:smuggrin:

You should not have applied to an osteopathic medical school if you didn't want an osteopathic degree period. Your chances of getting into an allopathic school are not good with turning down an admission.

Most people who retake the MCAT do worse period. If you hated your score, you should not have released it and you should not have applied to osteopathic medical school if you didn't want the degree. Now, if you tell the truth (that you had a previous acceptance), you have raised a huge "red flag" for any allopathic medical school that you apply to.

Osteopathic medical graduates match into any specialty that they desire provided they have the grades. If you wish to become a physician, take your acceptance, do well in medical school and then apply for residency. If you are concerned about the initials behind your name, then do something that shows poor judgement.

OP - you've got a bird in the hand. Congratulations. Now, run with it.
Agree.

OP, your success in medical school and beyond will depend on you, not on the degree you get. Your patients and colleagues will not care whether you are an MD or a DO if you are a well trained surgeon and skilled at what you do. Acceptances to medical school do not grow on trees, and many equally deserving people with no acceptances would dearly love to be in your position. If you truly desire to be a physician, then go to TCOM in the fall, and never look back. :luck: to you. :)

It's been a while since I applied, but isn't TCOM's tuition like $9,000 a year instate and it's out of state like $14,000 a year?

That's some pretty insanely low tuition compared to where I go to.

Please please please take that into consideration. If you had to take out only $40,000 in student loans for your entire medical education, I must confess that I would be hard pressed to go anywhere else in the country. Considering how some students have such a tremendous debt upon graduation...well...I beg you to take financial reasons into consideration.

Best wishes to you.

wow, you guys are fast thanx for the quick replies:). Honestly, I really don't care about the last 2 letters after my name. I know I can excel in medical school and do well on the boards, and hopefully that'll propel me into the residency that I want (general surgery).

There are general surgery residency programs exclusive to DO's, and you can also apply to allo programs with an osteopathic degree. Your school will teach you everything you need to know to excel on the USMLE, so the ball is in your court regarding how well you do. Since you don't care about the initials, I think that you're in great shape to become whatever kind of doctor you want to be if you decide to matriculate where you've been accepted.