DO vs MD internationally?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leorl

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know of decent/highly regarded DO schools outside the US? Since I'm interested in living abroad after school, I might as well go to a school (if I choose the DO path) that gives me a degree which will be recognized everywhere. Also, how are internationally trained DO's regarded in the US concerning residency placements/employment? Do they run into the same problem FMGs do?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't already, you may wish to read the threads about the "equality" of non-US DOs. In many countries the DO degree is akin to chiropractic (I know this to be the case in Australia and NZ). We had a great thread awhile back with some words directly from AACOM about the ability to practice medicine in the US with a foreign DO degree (obviously it must be a full medical degree and not similar to DC degree).

Perhaps a search will yield some threads of interest to you.

best of luck.

The DO degree is NOT recognized everywhere.
In Britain, for instance, DOs are restricted to manipulation only. In many other countries, licensing is not possible.

To find out about licensing in specific other countries, e-mail Mr. Robert Ruiz from AACOM.

[email protected]