Do we register for NRMP match for IM fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry for asking here but my program is not offering much guidance.

Do we apply for NRMP match for IM?

If so how does the timeline work, because on AAMC ERAS it asks for your NRMP ID (and this application is due July 20th) but on NRMP website it says NRMP match does not open until August 24 for medical specialties? (Medicine and Pediatric Specialties)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, I believe you will get a reminder around sept/october. You add nrmp id once you register.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m glad I read this before I submitted… I am applying to fellowship and was under the assumption that NRMP is only for residency match… I will change it, thank you for asking this question!

It doesn't matter if you register for NRMP before submitting your ERAS apps. You can always update your NRMP ID later. And even if you never update it, it doesn't matter as programs can rank by AAMC ID.

It doesn't matter if you register for NRMP before submitting your ERAS apps. You can always update your NRMP ID later. And even if you never update it, it doesn't matter as programs can rank by AAMC ID.
So do we even need to register for nrmp?

So do we even need to register for nrmp?

Unless you want to throw away the money on the application and interviews. Or, actually, you're applying to a program that's not dealing with the match that offers you a position outside of the match, I'd say yes you need to.
I know some Critical Care programs do offer positions outside of the Match. But, these programs are rare.