Do you have any questions for us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiology88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a med school interview coming up in a couple weeks. I know almost every interviewer asks this question and expects you to have questions. I can't think of anything I can't find online, any suggestions? I am looking for examples of good questions to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick 3 qs that popped into my head:

* What they would like to change about their school/curriculum/teaching?
* What's the biggest change they've seen since the time they've been at the school?
* Are there any clubs formed by the students?

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find a lot more if you search for it here!

EDIT: I have this saved because I think it's gold (read the entire thread since the OP also asked the same question... even LizzyM the AdCom has posted there):

Try to ask questions which relate to the prior discussion if you have any. Also try to tie questions to yourself where possible. If you are interested in research, ask about research possibilities while a student and over the summer. If you are anxious to get to the wards ask about the exposure first years get and any ability to shadow on their own. You can always ask clinicians whether they feel their 3rd years are well prepared for the wards by the time they get there. Ask about the ability to gain exposure to different specialties and find mentors. I would save things like "what do you like best about", or "strengths vs weaknesses" type questions for the end, if you run out of other things. But basically be inquisitive. It's less about asking for the sake of asking and more because this is a person who is offering to tell you about the place you may be spending the next 4 years. The brochures and website tend to be pretty sparse so there has to be something you want to know.

Last edited:
Given that this is your best chance to ask school representatives a face-to-face question, it is reasonable for interviewers to expect you to have something meaningful to ask.

Your best bet is to look through their website, any pre-interview informational materials they mail you, etc., and find programs, research opportunities, dual-degree paths, etc., that you're interested in and want to know more about. Stay away from obviously asking questions just for the sake of it or from questions that indicate you haven't done your research on the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've found that my interviewers tend to not necessarily have all the answers to questions about programs because they're physicians in the hospital and don't have anything to do with the pre-clinical programs or w/e other reason. I still ask ) just in case and 2) to show interest in their programs.

I really like asking the students who give the tours questions about what they would change if they could. I also have asked my interviewers what program or experience they think new students at their school should make sure to take advantage of.

I think it's a good idea to ask the interviewer about their favorite part of the school. If you have done your research on the particular school, you can ask their opinion on a particular aspect of the school that makes it unique. You could also ask about student life.

I always found this the easiest question an interview could ask you. This is your time to show interest in the program. Interviews are almost always after tour/orientation, pay attention and bring up something that interests you from this experience. Your interviewers will be glad you were paying attention. Keep your questions focused on the school and curriculum and you won't have any problems asking good questions.

It's best to ask the questions that you really want answers to. What is important to you about a school? What does your interviewer do, and what might they be able to tell you? For example, my interviewers at the school I was accepted to were a Ph.D. and an OB-GYN. I asked the Ph.D. about research, and the OB-GYN about clinical rotations, what he liked about the city, that kind of thing.

I always ask an interviewer, even if I don't have any other questions, what they would change about the school and why. You get a real sense of what people love about the school and affiliated hospitals when you ask that question.

I always ask an interviewer, even if I don't have any other questions, what they would change about the school and why.

I was thinking of asking something like that but I don't want to come off as being arrogant. If I was the interviewer I would hate to get a question like that.

I was thinking of asking something like that but I don't want to come off as being arrogant. If I was the interviewer I would hate to get a question like that.

None of my interviewers have had a problem answering the question, but I suppose it all depends on the delivery. If you come off as wanting to know what's wrong with the school, then yeah, it might not be the best question. But if you come off wanting to know the weaknesses with the school, and how the school is going about fixing the weaknesses the students and staff acknowledge, then it's not that bad. After all, you are interviewing to see if you are a good fit for the school

My PhD interviewer was very detailed in his response, and my MD interviewer had a hard time coming up with an appropriate answer (he settled on 'tradition', which he said could either be a good thing or a bad thing). I got acceptances to both of those schools, FWIW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya34M0cl6iY

I'm a little surprised people don't bring this youtube video up that much. The advice isn't that surprising but I thought it helped remind me how serious you should take the interview process. Keep in mind, the guy interviews applicants in Australia but his reasoning about asking questions at the conclusion of the interview makes sense to me. A lot of times when I asked questions I felt it was just prolonging it unnecessarily.

What you choose to ask about can demonstrate 1) your interest in the school and 2) that you have done your homework about the school, 3) what is important to you.

This can mean that you've looked into research opportunities at this school and still have questions, or that you are interested in international opporunities, or early exposure to clinical practice.

What you choose to ask about can demonstrate 1) your interest in the school and 2) that you have done your homework about the school, 3) what is important to you.

This can mean that you've looked into research opportunities at this school and still have questions, or that you are interested in international opporunities, or early exposure to clinical practice.

LizzyM,

If you don't mind, do you agree/disagree with the comments mentioned in the video above?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM,

If you don't mind, do you agree/disagree with the comments mentioned in the video above?

Thank you!

I disagree. Schools in the US are not like schools in Australia. There is no penalty for mentioning that your parent, uncle, grandfather is a physician. Wearing "old school ties" are acceptable although most interviewers wouldn't recognize it if you waved it in their faces so the risk of offending is not there as it might be in Australia.

US interviewers will be selling you on their school just as much as you should be selling yourself to the school.

Schools want offers admission of admission to be accepted , they know that most strong applicants have numerous offers of admission, and they are flattered by applicants who show an interest in the school. Asking informed questions and showing that you have taken the time to know something about the school demonstrates your sincere interest in the school. What do you want in a school? What questions haven't been answered by a review of the school's web site & the orientation presentation? If you are interested in research you might ask what areas of research are expanding or are hottest right now at that school. Who would you say are the research stars and what are their areas of expertise? If you are interested in primary care or rural medicie you might ask if there are any new affiliates or new geographic areas are likely to open up within the next 3 years. The point is, know what you want, know what the school offers and ask intelligent questions to fill in your knowledge gaps while transmitting a sincere interest in that school.

I've found that my interviewers tend to not necessarily have all the answers to questions about programs because they're physicians in the hospital and don't have anything to do with the pre-clinical programs or w/e other reason. I still ask ) just in case and 2) to show interest in their programs.

The sad, unfortunate truth. Not a whole lot of interviewers are necessarily marketeers trying to sell you the program like the ADCOM.

could not agree with your 2 points at the end more red.

Ask them about their specialties if they are MD's, like why they chose it and what they like about it. They will really enjoy talking about their own medical field and profession.

Ask them about their specialties if they are MD's, like why they chose it and what they like about it. They will really enjoy talking about their own medical field and profession.

:thumbup:

I ask the doctor what his day to day schedule. It took him 20 mins to finish, which was good time wasting question in my book. Plus i got in anyway :laugh:

I ask the doctor what his day to day schedule. It took him 20 mins to finish, which was good time wasting question in my book. Plus i got in anyway :laugh:

Good thread :thumbup:!

I wonder about this question, though. His/her answer wouldn't apply to you, it doesn't show your interest in the school, and doesn't tell him/her anything about you. It's also late to be finding out what it's like to be a doctor. I think it's a sweet question to ask because it shows you're interested in your interviewer, but even then it doesn't really tell you much about him/her as a person to know what his daily schedule is. In all, it seems to me like 20 minutes gone for little. I'm just curious, what was the reason you asked this?

Interviewers who are faculty/retired faculty have usually spent a considerable amount of their lives in the city where the medical school is located. I usually ask them what made them chose X school/city, and their take on a lifestyle there. I tell them how I'm not just looking for a medical school, but a place to spend my life for the next four or more years and so I want to know the personality of this possible new home of mine. I've gotten some very positive and negative answers about locations, and I think it's given me a perspective that's different from your standard interview day materials. Be sure to phrase this carefully though; I had a friend ask it in a way where the interviewer thought he or she was just asking about the nightlife there and it came off slightly unprofessional to be asking about partying at a medical school interview.

Don't overthink this. If a question comes up that isn't easily answered by google or the school's website, go ahead and ask it. If you don't have a question, just smile and say, "The school's website is really informative, and the guides/students/staff have been really helpful today, so all of my questions were answered. Thanks for the interview."

Realize that for most people this just seems like a natural way to end a conversation/speaking engagement. Recall your professor in lecture saying, "That's all for today. Are there any questions?" and how irritated you got when that one kid who sat in the front asked a question.

I think if you have nothing to ask the medical school than you are not picky enough. I understand that, including myself, some applicants just "want to get into a medical school". Of course not everyone can be so picky. However, what is important to remember is that just because you got in, there could be things about the school/location/student body/curriculum that could make you miserable.

I think the best way to find questions is list things you DON'T want in a medical school, for example:

1. I'm a social person, I don't want a school w/o any social life.
2. I love the outdoors, it would make me miserable to not have any outdoors activities available to me in the area (fishing, camping, etc).
3. I learn best on my own, I wouldn't want to be in class for 6-8 hours a day.
4. I thrive in a supportive environment, does this school have a competitive atmosphere or a supportive one? Or both?

Anyways, I find that listing some things you don't want helps you to see what kind of questions you can ask. I also suggest to begin every question with a statement about yourself, for example regarding the question above:

" I like to know the weakness of certain programs so I can be prepared to overcome these weaknesses as well as come up with new ideas to fix the problem, what kind of weaknesses do you see in this medical school/cirrulcum/program"

or

" I like stay active as a way to manage stress, what are some EC I can participate in here at ________?"

This way you can give them a little blurb about yourself before asking the question.

Hope that helped :)

Good thread :thumbup:!

I wonder about this question, though. His/her answer wouldn't apply to you, it doesn't show your interest in the school, and doesn't tell him/her anything about you. It's also late to be finding out what it's like to be a doctor. I think it's a sweet question to ask because it shows you're interested in your interviewer, but even then it doesn't really tell you much about him/her as a person to know what his daily schedule is. In all, it seems to me like 20 minutes gone for little. I'm just curious, what was the reason you asked this?

Well he was an Internal Medicine doctor and I am looking into that field. It was an interesting question for me because he has to balance teaching at the COM and taking care of his pateint at the hospital. he told me how he did that, plus a few family advices for the future.

My interview was for 50min one on one with him, so i had plenty of time to waste. In fact he ended the interview early (5 mins) so he can go pick up his kids. I didnt mind because he flat out told me that he likes me as a candidate because we came up from similar background so he will fight for me during the committee review. :laugh:

Gosh I'm sure they get those "What do you like best" kinda questions a lot. This seems to be a common question.

I don't think I'll be asking any questions. I can usually find them online. I think I'll thank them and just say a sentence statement about my interest in the school or something.

Personally, I don't like asking questions about the interviewers themselves. Unless they are in a specialty I'm interested in, I avoid asking stuff like that.

By the time your tour is over, you've met multiple people, and learned about the curriculum...the problem shouldn't be generating questions but rather narrowing them down!

You can ask about clinical exposure to 1st and 2nd years. Or access to different specialties in the area. Or what specialties are common at that particular school. Or how their students do on Step 1. Alllll sorts of questions.

I don't think I'll be asking any questions. I can usually find them online. I think I'll thank them and just say a sentence statement about my interest in the school or something.

No, you should ask at least one. It makes you appear interested, and people generally like to answer questions, especially if questions pertain to their work or their interests. Interviewers are the same.