Do you like being called "Dr."?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThatPsyGuy

Psychology PhD Student
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this varies from person to person/faculty to faculty/site to site, but what's your stance on it?
I've had professors that VERY much disliked being called Dr. XXX and preferred to be called by their first name. While at other places, they encouraged using the title.

So yeah, how do you all feel about it? (Or how will feel about it when you graduate?)

Members don't see this ad.

In professional settings (patients, depos, court) definitely. If someone tried to pull the Mr. Wisneuro crap, I just start calling them by their first name, and they get the clue real quick. In non-professional settings, could care less. You're a Dr., own it in professional settings.

Reactions: 3 users
My observations, not going by Dr makes you seem more friendly, but gets you less respect. There are pros and cons to both. Patients, admin assistants, HR folks etc, can call me doctor. They tend to waste less of my time that way. Colleagues can call me by my first name. This many years into my career I don't really give it much thought.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you ever see physicians do that? No? Now compare the incomes. Part of the way they maintain that income is to be VERY protective of the title. They don't even "own" it, and some physicians don't even have a doctorate.

Not using the title is very naive. Avoidance communicates discomfort with the title. Which affects how patients' confidence in the psychologist. And it obscures the differences between a counselor, psychologist, and social worker. If the difference in professions is not clear, neither are the incomes or scopes of practice.

On the academic side, I know exceedingly few people who go by "Dr". With a handful of exceptions, there is a very, very clear negative correlation with qualifications (i.e. the least productive folks who are faltering in their careers are the ones who insist on dr, the crazy-productive ones are adamant you use their first name). Higher-ups at the top programs are usually the quickest to tell me to use their first name. I can't imagine having staff members, grad students or post-docs I work with regularly call me Dr, let alone other faculty. I've probably met 5 people who actually did that in my entire career. Four of them were the shockingly useless "How did they even get tenure?" types and the lone exception I don't think actually gave a damn but everyone found scary enough no one ever dared to try using a first name. As a general rule if you are an "intellectual" collaborator in any fashion, we're going by first names. Science is its own entity though and probably benefits from a more egalitarian approach than other worlds. We stand to benefit from avoiding any indication of hierarchy when discussing methodology. The day I need to lean on that dr title to get respect during my own lab meetings is the day I know I'm washed up and its time to form an exit plan.

Gets a little blurry in other contexts. I always introduced myself as "Dr" when meeting patients, but never pushed it once rapport was established. I've had little contact with undergrads since I actually became "Dr" but I'd probably take a similar approach in the classroom - introduce myself as dr on day 1, let things unfold from there as they will. For the miscellaneous staff, it depends how closely I'm working with them and how much of a PITA they are likely to be and what I'm likely to need from them. My pre-award office? They can call me by my first name or anything else they want to call me. I want them thinking of me as a friend because you'll jump through hoops for your friend who just decided to submit a grant 2 days before the deadline. For other entities, its a judgment call based on how much of a PITA I think they will be - I'm fine with our current HR staff calling me by my first name because they are very responsive and effective but that wasn't the case with our previous HR team. If one particular IRB administrator doesn't get her act together soon, screw doctor, I'm going to start insisting she refer to me as "Your majesty" and curtsy when I enter the room.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
"Professor" is the title most commonly used by students at our academic institution. I like it, and it works well in Spanish too, "profe." I sometimes get Dr, that works, and I will correct students if they call me by first name. Among colleagues, first names, professional titles when addressing each other in the presence of students.

On the clinical side, I introduce myself as Dr and invite clients to address me however they are comfortable. Most use first name, some continue addressing me as Dr.

Do I like it, depends on the setting I'm working in, but generally yes since I earned the title. I find it common to be called Dr. in the hospital and CMH settings. University Counseling Centers, no one, including staff and students, called you Dr. - with the exception of when introduced for a presentation. Academically, I think it's common practice to call professors by the Dr. title. For me I just adapt to the setting and how all my colleagues introduce themselves. I'm in a hospital setting where everyone calls psychologist by Dr. I'll say one pet peeve of mine is when people have business cards or their signature is Dr. John Smith, PhD... I find it redundant, anyone else?

I was recently reading something about a state trying to ban people being called Dr. unless you're a physician (MD or DO). They were finding that it was confusing patient's. The article was in the context of NP's, Chiros, PT's, etc. Truely, curious what people think about this? Similarly, counselors or SW with doctorate degree's in their field, would that confuse patient's in understanding the differences in the disciplines and what our scope of practices are?

Last edited:
Do I like it, depends on the setting in working in, but generally yes since I earned the title. I find it common to be called Dr. in the hospital and CMH settings. University Counseling Centers, no one, including staff and students, called you Dr. - with the exception of when introduced for a presentation. Academically, I think it's common practice to call professors by the Dr. title. For me I just adapt to the setting and how all my colleagues introduce themselves. I'm in a hospital setting where everyone calls psychologist by Dr.

I was recently reading something about a state trying to ban people being called Dr. unless you're a physician (MD or DO). They were finding that it was confusing patient's. The article was in the context of NP's, Chiros, PT's, etc. Truely, curious what people think about this? Similarly, counselors or SW with doctorate degree's in their field, would that confuse patient's in understanding the differences in the disciplines and what our scope of practices are?

If patients are confused, it is likely due to the provider doing a poor job at introducing themself during their informed consent process, or providers not understanding ethical guidelines and legal statutes regarding scope of practice and introducing yourself based on the degree you are providing care under.

Reactions: 1 user
Do I like it, depends on the setting in working in, but generally yes since I earned the title. I find it common to be called Dr. in the hospital and CMH settings. University Counseling Centers, no one, including staff and students, called you Dr. - with the exception of when introduced for a presentation. Academically, I think it's common practice to call professors by the Dr. title. For me I just adapt to the setting and how all my colleagues introduce themselves. I'm in a hospital setting where everyone calls psychologist by Dr.

In 2011, the AMA tried to ban non-physician's use of the title "Dr." in the healthcare setting. They lost. One of the reasons for this legal decision was based upon case law... Physicians do not need a doctorate. UK and other commonwealth countries' medical school grant the terminal degree "Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelor's of Surgery". They do not get a doctorate. Several states have had to create laws that say that those physicians can use the title "Dr" without being sued for misrepresentation.

If they want to use the correct term, I have no issue with it. I would personally donate money for medicine to go after "chiropractic physicians".

Last edited:
  • Wow
If patients are confused, it is likely due to the provider doing a poor job at introducing themself during their informed consent process, or providers not understanding ethical guidelines and legal statutes regarding scope of practice and introducing yourself based on the degree you are providing care under.

In their defense, sometimes identifying yourself accurately causes just as much confusion. We had a physician in our program see patients for our team. He was promoted to medical director and an NP was hired in his place. Patients cannot figure out if she is "the doctor" or "the nurse" and are confused why there are two nurses (RN and NP) and why they haven't seen the doctor lately (medical director). Some people just have not understood the concept of a nurse practitioner even after I have explained it to them. Granted some of these people are really old (90+) and have a low educational level.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
In their defense, sometimes identifying yourself accurately is causes just as much confusion. We had a physician in our program see patients for our team. He was promoted to medical director and an NP was hired in his place. Patients cannot figure out if she is "the doctor" or "the nurse" and are confused why there are two nurses (RN and NP) and why they haven't seen the doctor lately (medical director). Some people just have not understood the concept of a nurse practitioner even after I have explained it to them. Granted some of these people are really old (90+) and have a low educational level.

Fair, in some circumstances. I've just seen some things, such as a midlevel, called "Dr." by a pt meeting them for the first time and that provider doing nothing to correct the pt. And, may also be the nature of my informed consent process, but I haven't had much problem of patients confusing my role or the psychologist v. psychiatrist. But I also very explicitly outline my role in their care (neuropsychological evaluation) and the process from start to finish.

Our hospital policy explicitly forbids the use of the title by anyone who is not a licensed physician (MD or DO) or resident physician.
They have also issued us additional badges with our occupation in gigantic font so that the patient is less likely to be confused.

Outside of the the clinical setting, I'll call anyone Dr. who has earned a doctorate (if they wish).

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Our hospital policy explicitly forbids the use of the title by anyone who is not a licensed physician (MD or DO) or resident physician.
They have also issued us additional badges with our occupation in gigantic font so that the patient is less likely to be confused.

Outside of the the clinical setting, I'll call anyone Dr. who has earned a doctorate (if they wish).

Wow, I have never seen it go that far. How do other doctoral level staff respond to this? If I ever wanted to go back to a hospital setting, this would be a non-starter for me.

Fair, in some circumstances. I've just seen some things, such as a midlevel, called "Dr." by a pt meeting them for the first time and that provider doing nothing to correct the pt. And, may also be the nature of my informed consent process, but I haven't had much problem of patients confusing my role or the psychologist v. psychiatrist. But I also very explicitly outline my role in their care (neuropsychological evaluation) and the process from start to finish.

Oh, for sure. It is just that I have had that conversation a few times, usually in the course of helping people identify who they need to call for medication refills. Physician Assistant is so much easier to explain. Just pray they don't ask me why there are PAs and NPs.

Oh, for sure. It is just that I have had that conversation a few times, usually in the course of helping people identify who they need to call for medication refills. Physician Assistant is so much easier to explain. Just pray they don't ask me why there are PAs and NPs.

Just tell them "lobbyists and the lack of campaign finance reform."

• Haha
Wow, I have never seen it go that far. How do other doctoral level staff respond to this? If I ever wanted to go back to a hospital setting, this would be a non-starter for me.
I am all for the Dr. title if you've earned it, especially for psychologists. Say it is the perfect position for you (i.e. location, money, benefits, setting, patient population, type of work, etc.). I'm curious about your perspective though and what makes this a non-starter?

Wow, I have never seen it go that far. How do other doctoral level staff respond to this?
It's been at least 4 years since the memo outlining the policy was released and I've not heard a peep.
Apparently, patients were confused by every team member introducing themselves as doctor.
Now the DPT's have a badge that reads Physical Therapist. The DNP's have Nurse Practitioner...

It's been at least 4 years since the memo outlining the policy was released and I've not heard a peep.
Apparently, patients were confused by every team member introducing themselves as doctor.
Now the DPT's have a badge that reads Physical Therapist. The DNP's have Nurse Practitioner...

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Not being called doctor is a non-starter? Or is it the name tag?

I could care less about the name tags, but I wonder how the CEO of the hospital would respond if you referred to them as a member of the business office or operations?

I could care less about the name tags, but I wonder how the CEO of the hospital would respond if you referred to them as a member of the business office or operations?
Working in the VA system, I can think of some really spicy monikers to put on some people's name tags if I were given the privilege.

• Haha

I wonder what ours would say: "Psychologist (definitely not a doctor though)"

OP, I introduce myself as Dr. R. Matey to my patients, but really don't care if anyone calls me doctor or not--my ego isn't that fragile. What does irritate me is when my first name is used by people with doctorates when they insist that I call them doctor. It happens the most with physicians and their staff (e.g., Matey, Dr. Better-than-you would like a word), but even this is variable among physicians.

Also if we're going by history to determine who the real doctors are, the prize goes to theologians. So, by that standard, we're all frauds.

I neither like nor dislike it. It's an accurate title for my degree. I don't correct those who don't call me Dr. My clients are mainly toddlers, and the term can bring out some fear in them, so I might encourage some families to just call me First Name or Mr. First Name (my last name, though spelled phonetically, seems to give people trouble). I think I answer my phone and refer to myself as Dr. Last Name, but I'm not sure how consistent I am with that. I ALWAYS refer to my psychologist colleagues/coworkers as Dr. Lastname. I feel this is especially important as they are all females, and there is some research that female Ph.D.s are less likely to be addressed with their degree related title by their colleagues than males,

I believe that it would say "psychologist," though I don't have an independent recollection of seeing that badge in the hospital.

I'm mainly kidding b/c the doctorate has been the educational standard for psychologists almost from the very beginning. So to be a psychologist is to have a doctorate. I'm empathetic though to the decision though especially considering all the credential creep happening in heath care.

To patients, I introduce myself as Dr. Lastname but offer to them to call me Firstname, Dr. Lastname, or Doc - whichever is their preference. Then I ask what they'd like to be called, and that's about it in that scenario. On phone calls (usually to new patients), I introduce myself as Dr though. 25% of the time on phone calls, the patient immediately replies "oh miss lastname, I'm so glad you called" 🙄 always older men. I can't seem to call and be say "hi this is Firstname, lastname" and be taken seriously unfortunately, I have to use "Dr". I have a whole shpiel about what kind of "Dr" I am and what role I play in the healthcare system.

I was very heavy on Firstname until I was embedded on a medical team and noticed the physicians I work with always introduced me to everyone - patients, staff, trainees - as Dr.

In my research role, all the admin staff call everyone Dr., no matter what, no matter how often you say you can be the exception if they're comfortable. But the PIs are all firstname with each other and our lab staff.

The hospital I work in has some prestige and many of the providers do not call themselves"Dr" - It reminds me of when I used to live in Boston and people there would say "I went to college in Cambridge" rather than say they went to Harvard. It's odd. I use it for medical and when I went to the ER it was kind of a strange experience for all these providers to be introducing themselves by first and last name.

Maybe I will feel differently after I complete internship, but with someone with a rather long last name but a short first name I can see myself in the future saying "Hi, I am Dr. LONG LAST NAME, and I am the psychologist/neuropsychologist who will be working with you today. For ease, you can call me Dr. FIRST NAME or FIRST NAME today."

Maybe if I see someone once/twice for an assessment I will care more. I've always believed in partnerships with therapy/rehab patients, and first-name (when appropriate) can be a rapport tool (IMO).

The hospital I work in has some prestige and many of the providers do not call themselves"Dr" - It reminds me of when I used to live in Boston and people there would say "I went to college in Cambridge" rather than say they went to Harvard. It's odd. I use it for medical and when I went to the ER it was kind of a strange experience for all these providers to be introducing themselves by first and last name.

Bunker Hill Community College alum, eh ?!? Good for you, son.

• Haha
I neither like nor dislike it. It's an accurate title for my degree. I don't correct those who don't call me Dr. My clients are mainly toddlers, and the term can bring out some fear in them, so I might encourage some families to just call me First Name or Mr. First Name (my last name, though spelled phonetically, seems to give people trouble). I think I answer my phone and refer to myself as Dr. Last Name, but I'm not sure how consistent I am with that. I ALWAYS refer to my psychologist colleagues/coworkers as Dr. Lastname. I feel this is especially important as they are all females, and there is some research that female Ph.D.s are less likely to be addressed with their degree related title by their colleagues than males,

Not to derail the thread, but same (i.e., always refer to psychologist colleagues as "Dr. Lastname"). Anecdotally, across multiple settings, I definitely saw female providers (psychologists and physicians) more commonly referred to as "Miss Lastname" than men were referred to as "Mr. Lastname." Conversely, I more commonly saw non-doctoral male providers referred to as "Dr. Lastname" by patients than female providers. Even after I'd refer to the provider by their accurate title multiple times in a conversation (e.g., "you'll want to check with your psychiatrist, Dr. Lastname, before you make any changes to how you're taking that medication; your next appointment with Dr. Lastname is next week"), many patients would still miss it.

I also tried to provide a little clarification when I could in terms of a patient's providers if they were uncertain and/or they asked what the differences were (e.g., explaining that their primary care provider is Dr. Lastname, who is a physician, and their mental health providers are Mr. Lastname, a social worker, and Ms. Lastname, a nurse practitioner).

Reactions: 2 users
During the one year I spent as a practicum student in a VA substance use facility, I was "doc" to all the patients. No matter what. Corrections had literally zero impact, even within 30 seconds of said correction. At one point I literally sat someone down and explained to someone I appreciated their sentiment but this was a healthcare setting and its important we be very clear that I'm still a student and NOT a doctor like the other staff. They and many others would even express clear understanding that I was still a student....and in the same breath would still use "doc". Meanwhile, the mostly female staff of doctoral-level providers were called "miss" or by their first name regardless of what anyone did or said. Drove me crazy and can only imagine how it made them feel.

Can't say this was a major factor that deterred me from a VA career, but it certainly didn't help.

Reactions: 5 users
Not to derail the thread, but same (i.e., always refer to psychologist colleagues as "Dr. Lastname"). Anecdotally, across multiple settings, I definitely saw female providers (psychologists and physicians) more commonly referred to as "Miss Lastname" than men were referred to as "Mr. Lastname." Conversely, I more commonly saw non-doctoral male providers referred to as "Dr. Lastname" by patients than female providers. Even after I'd refer to the provider by their accurate title multiple times in a conversation (e.g., "you'll want to check with your psychiatrist, Dr. Lastname, before you make any changes to how you're taking that medication; your next appointment with Dr. Lastname is next week"), many patients would still miss it.

I also tried to provide a little clarification when I could in terms of a patient's providers if they were uncertain and/or they asked what the differences were (e.g., explaining that their primary care provider is Dr. Lastname, who is a physician, and their mental health providers are Mr. Lastname, a social worker, and Ms. Lastname, a nurse practitioner).
This year, I had my first experience of serving on a committee and being the only doctoral level provider called "miss" (there were other psychologists but all male.) I said something and it was remedied but that was really awkward and I resented being the only one who noticed.

• Sad
During the one year I spent as a practicum student in a VA substance use facility, I was "doc" to all the patients. No matter what. Corrections had literally zero impact, even within 30 seconds of said correction. At one point I literally sat someone down and explained to someone I appreciated their sentiment but this was a healthcare setting and its important we be very clear that I'm still a student and NOT a doctor like the other staff. They and many others would even express clear understanding that I was still a student....and in the same breath would still use "doc". Meanwhile, the mostly female staff of doctoral-level providers were called "miss" or by their first name regardless of what anyone did or said. Drove me crazy and can only imagine how it made them feel.

Can't say this was a major factor that deterred me from a VA career, but it certainly didn't help.
The "doc" bit seemed endearing (up until you mentioned how all female staff were called "miss").

I am all for the Dr. title if you've earned it, especially for psychologists. Say it is the perfect position for you (i.e. location, money, benefits, setting, patient population, type of work, etc.). I'm curious about your perspective though and what makes this a non-starter?
Not being called doctor is a non-starter? Or is it the name tag?

The not allowing to refer to yourself as a doctor within the system when you are a doctor is the non-starter. If the system disrespects you over a simple fact, I would take that as an indication as to how you are treated in other arenas within the system. As for the perfect position, there are a lot of jobs out there, and anyone can open a private practice, so it can't possibly be perfect in my book with the system set up the way it is with e-board staff making what I feel is a blatantly incompetent decision.

Reactions: 3 users
VA had different name tags for various professions as well (e.g., psychologist, physician, nurse, pharmacist), just like they do with the different military branches. My VA was very inclusive with the use of the title "doctor," so I found the tags to actually be very helpful for me and patients alike.

I wonder how many people have hesitance to use the title because of the all too familiar imposter syndrome.

The not allowing to refer to yourself as a doctor within the system when you are a doctor is the non-starter. If the system disrespects you over a simple fact, I would take that as an indication as to how you are treated in other arenas within the system. As for the perfect position, there are a lot of jobs out there, and anyone can open a private practice, so it can't possibly be perfect in my book with the system set up the way it is with e-board staff making what I feel is a blatantly incompetent decision.

Tend to agree here. I can understand a desire to differentiate to avoid confusion, but I wouldn't want to work in a system where my title isn't respected. We've nearly always been doctors where DNPs, DPTs, PharmDs etc are late to the game. I wonder if a better cut would be differentiate between licenses that depend on a doctoral level credential though I suppose that's also a moving target. I also wonder how many psychologists are actually in the system the poster above mentioned given that many therapy positions are increasingly handed to master's level clinicians lol--what an irony.

I wonder how many people have hesitance to use the title because of the all too familiar imposter syndrome.
As a relatively new graduate, I think this is definitely the case for me. And also because I have worked with many professionals and patients who have repeatedly made statements (whether jokingly or serious) about how I am not a "real doctor" because I don't have an MD or DO.

The only time I care is when some basic 2nd year associate attorney calls me "Mr. Buckeyelove" whilst on the stand. Then I know I've got them and they have nothing. Otherwise, I introduce myself first name, last name, psychologist. Weirdly enough, everyone always calls me Doctor after that anyway (except for real bad cluster b narc's, which in and of itself is nicely diagnostic).

UK and other commonwealth countries' medical school grant the terminal degree "Bachelors of Medicine, Bachelor's of Surgery".

WARNING PEDANTIC ASIDE INCOMING

The degree is "Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirugiae", hence MBBS, although there is variability in the Commonwealth. Confusingly surgeons in the UK tradition insist on being called "Mr/Ms/Mrs" and would be offended by being called "Dr".

I do when my physician introduces himself (and it's always a he) as "Hi Mary, I'm Doctor Jones". Needless to say, I know your're a doctor, which is why I'm seeing you.

I really appreciate how my facility (and the VA in general) is very respectful of psychologists having the doctor title. I like being called Dr. That being said, I give my patients a choice to call me Dr. or my first name. A lot of them choose to call me "Dr" because they want to acknowledge the time I put into earning this degree. I have some that call me "Doc" as well as ones that split the difference and call me Doctor (First Name), lol. I've had VERY few patients call me Miss or Mrs.--one was an elderly patient who wasn't doing well cognitively--and I can't think of any times it's happened with staff. I wonder if that is, in part, because we have such a strong culture here of referring to people by Dr. (Last name). In addition to being a petite woman, I look very young for my age, so I find it a bit surprising that this hasn't been more of an issue. Some female psychologists around my age in our clinic have had patients call them things like "Kid" though.

I used to work with another female psychologist my age who advised me to always go by "Dr" even with patients, though, due to the discussed issue about women getting less professional respect. Personally, I really value genuineness in therapy, which is why I've decided to allow patients to use my first name if they so desire. HOWEVER, there is one exception: I use "Dr" for patients I see for psych assessments, especially back when I did C&P exams.

WARNING PEDANTIC ASIDE INCOMING

The degree is "Medicinae Baccalaureus, Baccalaureus Chirugiae", hence MBBS, although there is variability in the Commonwealth. Confusingly surgeons in the UK tradition insist on being called "Mr/Ms/Mrs" and would be offended by being called "Dr".

I specialize in pedantic asides.

One of the first mentions of the difference between the terms can be found in the works of Chaucer, who had a "Doctor of Physic".

The surgeon honorific, which was a throwback to surgeons being barbers, was officially changed about 10 years ago by the Royal College of Surgeons. To tie it all together, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle completed an MBBS, practiced as a physician, and only later completed an MD which required a dissertation.

Only folks who are required to call me "Doctor" are my siblings.

Being called "Dr." took some time getting used to, but I love the Veterans I work with...they helped make it feel genuine and sealed the deal.