Do you live with unmotivated pre-meds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otterpop

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I do. And it's annoying sometimes. All they do is go to the gym, play video games, watch TV, study every now and then, and complain about their bad grades. They try to make me feel like a loser for working so hard and not going out as much as they do. I really want them to do better so that they actually have a shot at getting into medical school but I think I might care more about their own future than themselves. They don't understand that to be able to succeed in medicine, you must 1) like it, and 2) put in the time and effort. It's quite sad because I don't think they realize that.

I wish I had roommates who cared as much as I do, or even more. It would make applying to medical school so much easier. Anyone else experiencing the same?

Members don't see this ad.

through college i was like your roommates

i still am actually

I hate crappy roommates, I have had my (un)fair share. Don't let people like that effect your future. Focus on what is important to you and let them focus what is important to them. Also, if every pre-med made it to med school we would have a hell of a lot of doctors.

Members don't see this ad :)
at a certain point you have to just do your own thing. you have to live to your own standard and surround yourself with people who help that to happen.

I've found that living with potheads is far more beneficial than living with gunners. I've done both, and it's nice to know that whenever you wnat to take a study break, your friends are just sitting around waiting on you to join them for some Wii/MarioKart/poker.

I could not have written a better autobiography.

Good thing we aint roommates

I do. And it's annoying sometimes. All they do is go to the gym, play video games, watch TV, study every now and then, and complain about their bad grades. They try to make me feel like a loser for working so hard and not going out as much as they do. I really want them to do better so that they actually have a shot at getting into medical school but I think I might care more about their own future than themselves. They don't understand that to be able to succeed in medicine, you must 1) like it, and 2) put in the time and effort. It's quite sad because I don't think they realize that.

I wish I had roommates who cared as much as I do, or even more. It would make applying to medical school so much easier. Anyone else experiencing the same?

I've found that living with potheads is far more beneficial than living with gunners. I've done both, and it's nice to know that whenever you wnat to take a study break, your friends are just sitting around waiting on you to join them for some Wii/MarioKart/poker.

lol this is my housemate.

it works well until its hell of loud at 4am bc ppl are drunk in the living room (which is right outside my room)

you probably dont intend it that way (or maybe you do?), but this comes off as pretty condescending. live and let live!

And don't you hate it when they ask you what you got on tests, and when you tell them they get mad and tell you you study too much? I dont like that too much

Potheads are the best roomates to have. I lived with 3 my soph year and there were some good times there(and no, i don't smoke pot ;))

What the hell do you care what your roommates do? Be responsible for your own life, not somebody elses.

I always liked having very social roommates. That way when I was done studying at the library and wanted to have social hour, there was always something going on in my room. Very convenient.

Worry about yourself. They are old enough to make their own decisions, whatever they might be. You'll save yourself a lot of time and frustration if you just accept that many people you'll meet and possibly work with throughout your life may not be as motivated as you.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol this is my housemate.

it works well until its hell of loud at 4am bc ppl are drunk in the living room (which is right outside my room)

Haha. Ditto! Although....I tend to get more frustrated than not. OP, it is hard to when you have your mind set on something while living with people who aren't on the same level. All I can say is try to forget about your differences, and have fun and appreciate why you moved in with them in the first place (I also need to take my own advice here). Who knows, next year, you might end up living with a gunner and you realize s/he frustrates you more than your last roomies! Point is, it's always better on the other side. Keep that in mind and try to relax and have fun with your currents!

I don't have premed roommates, but they all looooove to complain about how "hard" their classes are. Please. Business administration? HAhahahahaha.

I don't have premed roommates, but they all looooove to complain about how "hard" their classes are. Please. Business administration? HAhahahahaha.

Haha. I totally feel the same way....although I would never say it to my business admin friends!

Hey, at least you openly admit your arrogance.

I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant. My roommates are like my brothers and I really want them to reach their goals. It pains me when they tell me they want to go to medical school but don't think they'll get in because of their grades. I know how rejection feels and I don't want them to experience it.

I guess I was a little bit too bothered by this when I began this thread. I had spend all of last week helping one of my roommates study for an upcoming Chemistry exam, I postponed some secondaries to help him out, and yesterday, the night before the exam, he decides to go out and party.

I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant. My roommates are like my brothers and I really want them to reach their goals. It pains me when they tell me they want to go to medical school but don't think they'll get in because of their grades. I know how rejection feels and I don't want them to experience it.

I guess I was a little bit too bothered by this when I began this thread. I had spend all of last week helping one of my roommates study for an upcoming Chemistry exam, I postponed some secondaries to help him out, and yesterday, the night before the exam, he decides to go out and party.

He might have been referring to me and the business admin thing. Thank you for pointing out the arrogance thing. It totally is. We are all good at different things, so I apologize!

i had the same thing last year, my roommate always complained about her grades but when it came down to midterms she was always watching tv, going out, going shopping, and other fun things that i wish i was doing too instead of studying .. but i would suck it up and study. in the end there are always going to be people who don't study/work as hard as you, but then there's the other end of the spectrum where you could be living with a psycho neurotic premed who would constantly be competing with you or something ridiculous like that. i dunno, take the lazy roommates, focus on getting yourself into medical school.

if your roommates really are like "brothers" to you.. you might want to try talking to them about it and telling them how much it hurt you that you gave up your time and helped them study and they blew it all off. good luck

I love premeds like your roommates, encourage them to take the MCAT a bunch too so the rest of us who actually care can have a better curve! Alright, that was a little mean, but as was said before, not everyone can get into medical school. It sounds to me like your roommates don't understand the commitments required and are just wanting to go into medicine for the money. Sorry for your situation.

Your roommates sound AMAZING. If it makes you feel better, I had the worst roommates possible this past year (and somehow managed a 4.0 quarter while working, volunteering, researching, etc.)

They started the year with experiencing marijuana --> by mid Winter quarter they were addicted to AND selling more drugs than you or I have fingers and toes (20...unless part of a cult with incest making this number different - no disrespect just a mean joke so sorry if offensive!)

You heard me right - 20 different drugs. (I would go into detail but I think SDN would not like that so that's all I will say).

You can do what I did - I was so disgusted, saddened, affected by their worthless lives that I decided I was going to man up and do everything opposite or do even more good to counteract their evident worthlessness. So, I worked extra hours (so my parents would almost be giving me nothing which is good since they work hard and deserve to have some fun), I went to the library everyday for an entire 10 weeks (even for just a few hours on a fri evening), and I volunteered more - anything I could do to avoid these negative influences.

OH! and I dont mean to sound insensitive at all to people with problems, drug habits, etc. - I tried preaching to them repeatedly, getting them pamphlets, explaining stuff we learned from class and harmful effects, going to Narcotics Anonymous so they felt comfortable - they just didn't care. So, I chose 4 pre-med nerds who I currently live with =) - I go home to them all having headphones on and doing homework. Occasionally, we get together on the couch and watch the office or go out to mall or to eat. But very work-oriented. It helps :thumbup:

I haven't lived with any premeds but I have some in mind that are like that. They study some, but they absolutely cannot do without partying or having fun often. Being a premed doesn't suck for everyone, but if it needs to suck for to do well then that is how it must be.

Most of them are regretting their lack of hard work and are changing majors or spending more money to go to school for an extra year to get their grades up!

I will never live with other pre-meds. At least with SDN, the neurotic tendencies remain online. I don't have to hear it all the time!:D

Besides, I need a break from being "pre-med" sometimes.

Hey, at least you openly admit your arrogance.

He may have been referring to me, in which case, I don't really care. I have no sympathy for someone who picks a major because it "sounded easy," skims through the course offerings during scheduling to find the easiest classes, puts no effort into them, and then bitches about how hard they are.

I think their behavior is a sign that they dont REALLY want to go into medicine. It seems like they will be ok if they ever decide to really do it (they can go back, do a postbacc), but for now, they're goign to live their lives however they see fit, and it probably only causes you frustration to try to help them reach their stated (though apparently untrue) goals.

I take back the arrogance comment, as you seem to be being *too* nice to them. I'm sure they'll figure it all out on their own time, and for now, the easiest thing is to probably shrug off any complaining they do about grades/success.

Your roommates sound AMAZING. If it makes you feel better, I had the worst roommates possible this past year (and somehow managed a 4.0 quarter while working, volunteering, researching, etc.)

They started the year with experiencing marijuana --> by mid Winter quarter they were addicted to AND selling more drugs than you or I have fingers and toes (20...unless part of a cult with incest making this number different - no disrespect just a mean joke so sorry if offensive!)

You heard me right - 20 different drugs. (I would go into detail but I think SDN would not like that so that's all I will say).

You can do what I did - I was so disgusted, saddened, affected by their worthless lives that I decided I was going to man up and do everything opposite or do even more good to counteract their evident worthlessness. So, I worked extra hours (so my parents would almost be giving me nothing which is good since they work hard and deserve to have some fun), I went to the library everyday for an entire 10 weeks (even for just a few hours on a fri evening), and I volunteered more - anything I could do to avoid these negative influences.

OH! and I dont mean to sound insensitive at all to people with problems, drug habits, etc. - I tried preaching to them repeatedly, getting them pamphlets, explaining stuff we learned from class and harmful effects, going to Narcotics Anonymous so they felt comfortable - they just didn't care. So, I chose 4 pre-med nerds who I currently live with =) - I go home to them all having headphones on and doing homework. Occasionally, we get together on the couch and watch the office or go out to mall or to eat. But very work-oriented. It helps :thumbup:

I hope to God I never have to meet anyone half as irritating as you.

OH! and I dont mean to sound insensitive at all to people with problems, drug habits, etc. - I tried preaching to them repeatedly, getting them pamphlets, explaining stuff we learned from class and harmful effects, going to Narcotics Anonymous so they felt comfortable - they just didn't care.
Anyone else find this paragraph hilarious :laugh:

I did, but they weren't "real" pre-meds. They were kids with 2.5-2.7 GPA's who got high all the time. One of them was in their senior year and asked me when he's supposed to take the MCAT. Pretty slow.

I actually act like the people from the OP's post (plenty of video games, TV and gym) but i only take easy classes so there's no whining about bad grades.

Last edited:
Anyone else find this paragraph hilarious :laugh:

I did.

This is the most enjoyable thread I'v read on this forum. I had roommates like that in college. We had no classes until 1, friday's off, took off for long weekends here and there, went to sunday brunch at 2:30pm, just an alltogether miserable lifestyle (in the good and bad sense).

If you had roommates who cared as much as you or more (i.e. on SDN) they would have probably already sabotaged you and you'd be the one making the bad grades.

through college i was like your roommates

i still am actually
Yeah, sounds pretty familiar to me. I honestly can't imagine going through college like most people go through med school. I knew plenty of people who studied more then than I do now which is just bloody amazing.

I am unmotivated and just works out and go drinking.
Is it a crime?
Everyone have their own path to med school. Just stay true to your own way and you will succeed.

Welcome to the real world, Sweetie. Life isn't all about good times and success.

It is only when you reach your lowest lows that you will learn. I hope you get there some day. I am thankful I have.

I hope to God I never have to meet anyone half as irritating as you.

I was like your roommates.

I did, but they weren't "real" pre-meds. They were kids with 2.5-2.7 GPA's who got high all the time. One of them was in their senior year and asked me when he's supposed to take the MCAT. Pretty slow.

I actually act like the people form the OP's post (plenty of video games, TV and gym) but i only take easy classes so there's no whining about bad grades.

:laugh: This is good stuff. You just described my first year dorm suite. Started with 6 pre-meds...now down to 2 of us. One of them complained every single day that our college was "too hard" because he was rushing a frat and getting straight Cs - then when asked about all the hazing and having to get up and run at 4 am, go drink with older bros as much of a fifth of alchy as possible by themselves..etc, he just said "if i didn't do a frat I'd be wasting my time some other way it's just unbelievably hard"...basically he did not like to work hard and I understand - that is how I was my freshman year...people change (better or worse)

They'll figure it out eventually. Probably by the time you move on to med school and they stay behind doing a fifth and maybe sixth year to try and finish some semblance of a degree. A couple of those people make it here and there, but it's not the norm. Just worry about yourself.

you sound like a horrible person to be around. why dont you do everyone a favor; move into the remote wilderness and practice medicine on your leg :thumbup:

I love premeds like your roommates, encourage them to take the MCAT a bunch too so the rest of us who actually care can have a better curve! Alright, that was a little mean, but as was said before, not everyone can get into medical school. It sounds to me like your roommates don't understand the commitments required and are just wanting to go into medicine for the money. Sorry for your situation.

i was thinking along similar lines . . .

i remember before i started taking premed classes, i kept hearing that 50 percent of applicants are not accepted, and it freaked me out.

then once i started taking the classes and meeting other premeds- the ones like your roommates- i breathed a sigh of relief that there are so many people filling up that bottom 50%. (well, I didnt live with them, but I knew kids who talked about how much they party but how they got C's in everything 'cause it was all so hard.)

so let the unmotivated premeds be. they will ultimately get weeded out, which i guess is good for you. but, i still think personality is the most important factor, so you should probably just focus on your own stuff and try not to worry so much. neuroses = bad

Welcome to the real world, Sweetie. Life isn't all about good times and success.

It is only when you reach your lowest lows that you will learn. I hope you get there some day. I am thankful I have.

Oh, is that so? Please, tell me more. Be my knight in shining armor. :love:

I'll tell you what's worse.. Getting good grades yet having snobby premeds look at you like you're less than them because you're not spending 85% of your free time studying, or deciding to go out on a Thursday night. Let me do my thing, you do yours. I know what it takes to get in to medical school. You don't need to remind me every time you see me watching TV without a book in front of me.

you sound like a horrible person to be around. why dont you do everyone a favor; move into the remote wilderness and practice medicine on your leg :thumbup:

HAHAHA dude the guy was joking, chill the **** out. That post was hysterical. :laugh:

paging Dr.gunner.

the bottom line is .. there are always going to be people who study more or less than you do . eventually you just learn to accept it and realize that you just have to focus on doing the things that get you where you want to go . i think steve jobs sums it up for this post-er and the postee's and us premeds perfectly:

"your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. don't be trapped by dogma- which is living with the results of other people's thinking. don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. and most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. they somehow already know what you truly want to become. everything else is secondary" -steve jobs

hahahaha what a cheesy post i just left ! just avoiding doing genetics though, really..

I probably would have felt the same if I was in your position when applying to medical school.

It's amazing though, how words like "enthusiasm" and "motivation" will come to take on a whole new set of meanings once you're in medical school. There will be classmates who find time to balance studying with trips to the gym and whatever else we do. Some of us will make out okay and others will really struggle. But we'll all become doctors and each find our niche. There will be other classmates who never sleep, study every waking hour of the weekend, sit in the front row and ask all sorts of annoying questions at lecture, completely dominate small group discussions at the expense of your evaluation, hog all of the attention and most interesting cases on clerkships, brag about their board score being a full two and a half standard deviations above the mean, and be involved with a couple of research projects, all while pursuing an MPH, MBA, or PhD, serving on the student government, participating on all of the curriculum committees, and sucking up to anyone and everyone who is in a position to further their career. They will send you frequent save-the-world-type emails requesting that you volunteer for stuff and attend guest lectures invited by the student group they preside over. Just wait for these supremely motivated students to come on like gangbusters the second classes commence and serve as a constant reminder that you are merely a mortal. You might even start feeling like a slacker.

Terms like "slacker" and "unmotivated" are highly subjective and your interpretations may change with time.

About four or five years from now, some of you will be absolutely thankful for your decision to leave your slacker friends behind to join the ranks of students who stay up all night. And a good number of you will develop a visceral reaction to being in the same room as some of your gunner classmates and pine for the cool, well-rounded roommates you had in college... even if they weren't appreciative of the stress and sacrifice you put yourself through so that your grades and MCAT score would sparkle on your transcript. You'll start to understand why they may have considered you a little bit high strung and annoying.

Good luck to everyone :)

Hey!! I'm in an incest cult. Oh, wait....You were just joking. I better be off to repopulate my compound. That last FBI raid really took a toll on our numbers.