Do you need to be good at math to be a doc?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't have problem with math but it really doesn't come naturally to me, I have to practice over and over until it clicks in my head. Now I am in Algebra II honors and Chem Honors and the math that we do in chem is easy. I don't know how it is in the AP classes but I don't think I will have a problem. Pre calc doesn't look to bad either. I am worried about when I get into Calc 1 and Chem 1 in college and you actually have to really apply yourself fully and remember EVERYTHING from what you learned in high school. I mean, I can hire a tutor in UG and I'm sure I'd do fine with someone helping me but if you are going to be pre med would you have to do a lot of math? I know this sounds very vague but I think you guys know what I mean.

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to be good at math to get into med school. In fact, I think only a handful of schools require calc 1 anyway, but some do require stats as well. You do have to do some math in classes like gen chem and physics, but its all pretty much algebra, that is unless you take the calc-based physics, (which I would recommend by the way, if you can tolerate calculus... you get a much better understanding, but I'm biased :D). So if your math is only alright, don't fret... you can still be a doctor :)

Not that important but you should be on top of your classes especially science if you're interested to become a doctor.
________
Ford Transcontinental History

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
As mentioned a few schools require calc I (even less require II) or statistics. Physics has some math, but it's really all just knowing which formula to use and plugging in.

The good news is that if math doesn't come easily to you lots of schools(at least in my state) offer free tutoring for many subjects, including math. The tutoring centers are usually called something like "academic skills center" or "student resource center". I haven't used the one at my school personally but a good number of people have told me it is helpful.

I hear the only specialty that really uses heavy math on a daily basis is radiology. Y/N?

I hear the only specialty that really uses heavy math on a daily basis is radiology. Y/N?

ehh.. from what I understand, not really. Many radiologists that I know don't really even like the math and physics aspect of rads, but they just sort of get through the material they need to. But of course, if you want to be involved in working on all the new, cutting edge technology stuff, then physics and math will definetly come into play. Rad onc is another field that relies heavily on physics, so math comes into play there as well, but again, you're coming at it from a medical angle, and not from a medical physics background (which is an entirely different, but very cool field). But for most all other fields, as long as you're decent in basic math, you'll be fine.

I'm glad to hear it's not that important...and they always said math was the universal language. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I don't have problem with math but it really doesn't come naturally to me, I have to practice over and over until it clicks in my head. Now I am in Algebra II honors and Chem Honors and the math that we do in chem is easy. I don't know how it is in the AP classes but I don't think I will have a problem. Pre calc doesn't look to bad either. I am worried about when I get into Calc 1 and Chem 1 in college and you actually have to really apply yourself fully and remember EVERYTHING from what you learned in high school. I mean, I can hire a tutor in UG and I'm sure I'd do fine with someone helping me but if you are going to be pre med would you have to do a lot of math? I know this sounds very vague but I think you guys know what I mean.

You will only use fairly basic math during med school. Nothing beyond algebra. Some of the more technology and epidemiology based fields may require math during practice. But some schools require you to have taken calculus for admission to med school.

Some of the more technology and epidemiology based fields may require math during practice.

That and if he wants to do research, it's a good idea to have a solid understanding of statistics other than just getting your p <0.05. ;) Getting a basic stat class plus one on ANOVA or something would probably be helpful. And knowing how to work the stat programs are helpful too. Wish I would have taken more stat before grad school...

Radiation oncology. That's where the physics is needed. Some basic university physics would help for radiology. Otherwise an entry level calculus course or two is good enough.

And, do a few stats courses (like biostats and a clin epi course) to smooth things out. It will go a long way in med school and residency (regardless of what you do)

cheers

Agree with law2doc and diamox
radiology and radiation oncology are the most math-heavy of the medical specialties that I can think of.
Don't sell yourself short on the math, though...I never liked math in high school but then in college I got a really great probability and statistics professor and everything just clicked.
I actually wished I had taken calculus in high school (when I got to college). You don't HAVE to, but I think it would have made my college calculus and calculus-based physics classes easier...

Don't stress too much about this in high school. The biggest thing about being a doctor is to avoid having any super weak areas, to plug away, and to be a very good student in all the different areas (rather than being brilliant in any one area or areas, like a PhD student might benefit from being...).

Agree with law2doc and diamox
radiology and radiation oncology are the most math-heavy of the medical specialties that I can think of.
Don't sell yourself short on the math, though...I never liked math in high school but then in college I got a really great probability and statistics professor and everything just clicked.
I actually wished I had taken calculus in high school (when I got to college). You don't HAVE to, but I think it would have made my college calculus and calculus-based physics classes easier...

Don't stress too much about this in high school. The biggest thing about being a doctor is to avoid having any super weak areas, to plug away, and to be a very good student in all the different areas (rather than being brilliant in any one area or areas, like a PhD student might benefit from being...).

Well I'm in Algebra II CP right now (right below honors). If I'm lucky and pull straight A's in this and Chemistry then I will be in honors chem and honors Alg II. What I think I will do though is take College level pre calc over the summer and get in Honors Calculus I or AP Calc. If all else fails I can just take Pre calc CP over the summer with a teacher and take Calc I CP next year. I don't really care about the honors math and science classes unless I'm taking it one on one (guaranteed to retain ALL info and get an A+) OR I'm taking it at a CC and have a tutor to help me during the afternoon (most likely).

Let me ask you guys just a couple more questions.

Even if the Calc and Physics aren't honors, is it still a pretty good idea to knock them out senior year or should I wait until freshman year of UG?

and

At UG are there like math and science tutors? I'm not stupid its just I have such a hard time with it.

I'd go ahead and take physics and calc in high school if you can. They're good things to have going into college.

There are plenty of tutors, office hours, help sessions, etc. to get you through classes you're struggling in during college.

I'd go ahead and take physics and calc in high school if you can. They're good things to have going into college.

There are plenty of tutors, office hours, help sessions, etc. to get you through classes you're struggling in during college.

Does it have to be Honors/AP? I may/may not be able to get into these depending on how well I do.

Nah, don't worry about that. Just get the background now. AP is great since you can get college credit through the AP exam, but basic exposure to the material is all you're after.

Well I'm in Algebra II CP right now (right below honors). If I'm lucky and pull straight A's in this and Chemistry then I will be in honors chem and honors Alg II. What I think I will do though is take College level pre calc over the summer and get in Honors Calculus I or AP Calc. If all else fails I can just take Pre calc CP over the summer with a teacher and take Calc I CP next year. I don't really care about the honors math and science classes unless I'm taking it one on one (guaranteed to retain ALL info and get an A+) OR I'm taking it at a CC and have a tutor to help me during the afternoon (most likely).

Let me ask you guys just a couple more questions.

Even if the Calc and Physics aren't honors, is it still a pretty good idea to knock them out senior year or should I wait until freshman year of UG?

and

At UG are there like math and science tutors? I'm not stupid its just I have such a hard time with it.

I would say that its a pretty good idea to take physics and calc in high school if you can. Even, if it isn't AP, or even if you fail the AP exam, you'll at least have some background in the subjects when you take them at the college level. It would also be a good idea to take bio, chem, and other intro science classes in high school, I think taking these classes in high school made the transition into college much easier for me.
As for tutors and outside help, there are ample opportunities that you can and should take advantage of. Most of my intro science courses in college had ~1000+ people in them, but there were various study sessions, tutors, review classes, and many different professors and TAs with office hours, etc... My intro physics professors were especially good at giving students the opportunity to get the help they needed.

Honestly, I don't have problem with math but it really doesn't come naturally to me, I have to practice over and over until it clicks in my head.
I have some advice. It has helped me. So it may help you.

All of this is pure speculation, but it has given me results.

I've noticed, that when I am perceived by people around me to be an idiot. I will degenerate into an idiot. If I'm surrounded by people who view me as a genius with no social skills, I will become that. If I view myself as being X or Y, I will notice that I will be slowly changing to fit that view. I believe your mindset, will completely make you what you are. It will be able to change things that you didn't think where possible.

I used to get terrible grades. I rarely made the honor role in Jr. High. All through schooling up to High School I was in help programs for the idiot kids, and getting extra help to keep up. I was immersed with failures, by being there I was told I was an idiot, I was being treated like an idiot. I viewed myself as this.

I was never good at Math. It never clicked with me no matter what I did.

Then High School came. When I literally tought "**** it. These people suck at life and don't know me. I'm better than all of them, and always will be. So its time to begin doing that."

I understand Math very easily now. I don't have to do problems a lot to be able to get an 100% on any quiz or test. Most of my mistakes are stupid mistakes because I went to fast or I let my subconscious mind do all the work.

You don't have to do a lot of Math problems for it to click. You just have to change your mindset and realize it doesn't have to be this way. If you truly start seeing that in yourself, it will happen. Its possible to get good at schoolwork without trying for hours, or just naturally grasping it. You just need to have a ridiculously high amount of self confidence. Sometimes I feel like I'm bending reality, I get so lucky now. Its ridiculous.

jefgreen, you can make Math click for you. You just have to believe. This sounds so cheesey, but it has changed my life in ways I'd never expect.

Reactions: 1 user
I have some advice. It has helped me. So it may help you.

All of this is pure speculation, but it has given me results.

I've noticed, that when I am perceived by people around me to be an idiot. I will degenerate into an idiot. If I'm surrounded by people who view me as a genius with no social skills, I will become that. If I view myself as being X or Y, I will notice that I will be slowly changing to fit that view. I believe your mindset, will completely make you what you are. It will be able to change things that you didn't think where possible.

I used to get terrible grades. I rarely made the honor role in Jr. High. All through schooling up to High School I was in help programs for the idiot kids, and getting extra help to keep up. I was immersed with failures, by being there I was told I was an idiot, I was being treated like an idiot. I viewed myself as this.

I was never good at Math. It never clicked with me no matter what I did.

Then High School came. When I literally tought "**** it. These people suck at life and don't know me. I'm better than all of them, and always will be. So its time to begin doing that."

I understand Math very easily now. I don't have to do problems a lot to be able to get an 100% on any quiz or test. Most of my mistakes are stupid mistakes because I went to fast or I let my subconscious mind do all the work.

You don't have to do a lot of Math problems for it to click. You just have to change your mindset and realize it doesn't have to be this way. If you truly start seeing that in yourself, it will happen. Its possible to get good at schoolwork without trying for hours, or just naturally grasping it. You just need to have a ridiculously high amount of self confidence. Sometimes I feel like I'm bending reality, I get so lucky now. Its ridiculous.

jefgreen, you can make Math click for you. You just have to believe. This sounds so cheesey, but it has changed my life in ways I'd never expect.

Thats so funny, I'm the same way. A lot of people think I'm an extrememly good student with a 4.0, a genius with writing, and am good at everything. (Except doing hair, and tanning) And when people think this way, I tend to do so much better... maybe because I convince myself that since everyone else thinks it that it must be true so I try harder or work better. But then it works the opposite, I ran into someone who was like "are you kidding me? I'm such a better student. you're a crappy friend" (she ended up failing high school, didn't go to college, and is now a druggy) but when I was with her, it brought me down and I didn't do like anything and didn't care. Phychology is amazing. haha.

That and if he wants to do research, it's a good idea to have a solid understanding of statistics other than just getting your p <0.05. ;) Getting a basic stat class plus one on ANOVA or something would probably be helpful. And knowing how to work the stat programs are helpful too. Wish I would have taken more stat before grad school...

If one needs to do a research project that invovles a lot of stats or math, have the people who know the craft do the heavy work...collaborate with a person that knows math and stats.

It is.

One thing I want to clarify. You can have a positive attitude, but that won't mean you will straight out succeed. It will only push you in the direction of success.

I believe they call that theory, the looking glass theory.

I think it does help to have a very confident mindset. Like you are always right. Because it all starts coming true, at least for me. No where in being super confident does it mean you have to be a jerk, or rude about it.

Some amazing things have happened with a good mindset. Always good luck. Such as I couldn't do a homework assignment for I lost the worksheet. I followed my instinct and didn't fret. The next day, on the way to study hall, I found the same assignment sheet, blank, sitting on the floor. That was a lucky save. Any time we do a review game and there is luck involved, I almost always get lucky and win some extra credit. I don't really even view it as luck, just some sort of manifestation of my positive mindset and confidence. Yeah its basically gets into New Age pseudo science, but it has given me good results.

I urge everyone that reads this to just think positvely. Have outragous views about your intelligence. With all of it wrapped in positive thought. Don't doubt yourself either.

:D