Do you need to get A's in classes you want a LOR from?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloodandguts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say I got to know two science professors moderately well in undergrad, but I got a B- in one of their classes. I like to use both, including this B- professor, but was advised to use professors I got A's in. She knows my name and say "hi" to me when I see her in public. Even though I got a B- in her class, wouldn't it be better to use her than someone who doesn't even remember me?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Remember that the point of a science LOR is to speak to your ability to do well in science coursework. Does a B- reflect the best of your ability so much so that you would like it to be expressed to adcoms?

So, given the option between a science teacher who saw you regularly in office hours, saw you struggle and improve but didn't get an A, and a professor who hasn't seen you in years but you you got an A, cold approaching the A professor would be better?

I'm basically saying I got A's, sure, but I only got one A in a professor I know well but need two science LOR. The other science letter is up in the air at the moment. Damage control-wise, which is my best option?

Anyone who says do an extra semester of undergrad for a new letter walks the plank.

A unknown or B known?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure what n=1 means? And your situation sounds different from mine, the class I got a B minus in, I wasn't the highest score in the class.

I've never been on adcom, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But If I were on adcom and realized that one of the letters came from a professor who gave the applicant a B- in the class, i'd question the credibility of the letter.

Reactions: 1 user
Ask the professor you know if they'll write you a "strong" letter or recommendation. It's best to ask the professor who knows you very well.

If they balk, walk away.

I should add this is all going to a committee, not directly to the medical school. I think the committee writes one letter, and doesn't send it.

I was advised never to ask if it will be "positive" or "strong" as it is insulting.

Not sure what n=1 means? And your situation sounds different from mine, the class I got a B minus in, I wasn't the highest score in the class.

It means he's speaking for one person, in this case himself. Usually this refers to an unlikely scenario and should not be applied universally.

Why am I explaining this

I should add this is all going to a committee, not directly to the medical school. I think the committee writes one letter, and doesn't send it.

I was advised never to ask if it will be "positive" or "strong" as it is insulting.

The prevailing wisdom around here is to always ask if they'll write you a strong letter of recommendation.

It means he's speaking for one person, in this case himself. Usually this refers to an unlikely scenario and should not be applied universally.

Why am I explaining this

If I were a betting man, I'd venture to guess the B- class was stats.

Reactions: 1 users
I got an A+ in Statistics, I just don't normally see people use it in forum posts. Plus I was told only to use natural science classes for my science ones, not math. Or I'd be golden.

I'd rather not ask for a strong one. I am asking to meet with them about the letter. If I get the impression they like me and are willing to do it during the meeting, I will assume strong.

I've never heard of a professor acting positive and then writing a bad one. I have heard of a professor hinting they "weren't the best person" and the person asking anyway. That usually ends badly.

Whoever told you this does not know anything about admissions or the basics of letters of recommendation. It is a bit strange to be asking someone for a letter of recommendation if you don't know if they can write a strong letter, however given that you are asking on an online forum if you should use an incredibly weak letter, clearly this is a question that needs to be asked.

There is no reason that getting a B- in a class should preclude you from getting an otherwise strong letter from a professor. However, if the extent of your relationship is that they know your name and say "hi" to you, it is going to be a very weak letter regardless.

I got an A+ in Statistics, I just don't normally see people use it in forum posts. Plus I was told only to use natural science classes for my science ones, not math. Or I'd be golden.

I'm pretty sure letters from physical science classes are fine to use as well.

I already think am I getting meh science recommendation not matter what though. It can't be helped at this point, I only decided I wanted to be pre-med late-ish in the game, can't go back in time. I will be getting strong non-science, extra-curricular and research so I just going to have to get what I can get. Just wanted to know if "meh, he got an A and seems nice" is better or worst than "I know him, he visited me a lot, but he got a B-".

How do you think this will read??????

"Bloodand guts was a student in my [X] class. He received a B- in a rigorous class and ranked at the 55th percentile.".

Say I got to know two science professors moderately well in undergrad, but I got a B- in one of their classes. I like to use both, including this B- professor, but was advised to use professors I got A's in. She knows my name and say "hi" to me when I see her in public. Even though I got a B- in her class, wouldn't it be better to use her than someone who doesn't even remember me?

1000% agree.
The prevailing wisdom around here is to always ask if they'll write you a strong letter of recommendation.

I already think am I getting meh science recommendation not matter what though. It can't be helped at this point, I only decided I wanted to be pre-med late-ish in the game, can't go back in time. I will be getting strong non-science, extra-curricular and research so I just going to have to get what I can get. Just wanted to know if "meh, he got an A and seems nice" is better or worst than "I know him, he visited me a lot, but he got a B-".

In that case, neither letter will help you in any way, you should pick the letter writer with the lowest risk profile, aka ask them if they can write a strong letter and then have whoever you get a safer feeling from write a letter.

Okay, but can I meet with them first before using the "strong" word? I'd rather win them over in a meeting about a possible LOR, and the ask at the end if they'd be willing to write me a strong LOR. If they seem hesitant, move on to the next name in my list. If they seem like they don't mind, I'll know I'm probably golden.

They aren't villains, professors usually won't say yes to "strong LOR" and then turn around and stab you in the back.

It just seems weird to request "strong" flat out as I don't know them as well or haven't done amazing. Plus I always do better asking for things in person, I have better people skills than email skills.

My university has large class sizes so I heard it isn't uncommon for some professors to be understanding if they don't know you as well.

Okay, but can I meet with them first before using the "strong" word. I'd rather win them over in a meeting about a possible LOR, and the ask at the end if they'd be willing to write me a strong LOR.

It just seems entitled to request it flat out.

I view it more about asking if they feel they know you well enough to write a strong letter; rather than how enthusiastically they will recommend you. You can also ask them flat out how they think your grade in their class reflects on you as a student. A LOR is not meant to duplicate info an ADCOM can get off your transcript so it is really important that they know you somewhat.

I wish I had a time machine but I rushed around the last year filling every committee requirement that usually takes students 3-4 years so I really want to take advantage of this committee.

Does anyone know if Lab instructors count as science classes?

I wish I had a time machine but I rushed around the last year filling every committee requirement that usually takes students 3-4 years so I really want to take advantage of this committee.

Does anyone know if Lab instructors count as science classes?

They probably prefer PhD's but I think it could possibly work if you got someone cosign it.

It really depends on the teacher. For most, I would say you need an A, maybe A-. But I had several professors whose classes were notoriously difficult, and they stated in their syllabus that a B or higher will net one a great rec letter, provided the teacher knew who you were........