Do you sign off on medical LOA or accommodation forms?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atreides

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm getting a steady stream of patients recently from a specific employer. Many of these patients are asking me to sign paperwork for psychiatric LOA or accommodations forms. I'm wondering what the general consensus is from other outpatient psychiatrists. Do you guys sign these forms? During residency, the rule of thumb we had was that if your symptoms are severe enough to need a leave of absence from work or school, they're severe enough that you need to be in an IOP or PHP at least. And they would handle the paperwork. On the accommodations front, I'm very averse to filling these out as they mostly seem to be for anxiety and facilitate avoidance behaviors at best. I've signed a few that I think are reasonable for ADHD (providing written instructions rather than just verbal) and bipolar (avoiding night shifts) but I'm turning down 90%+ of them

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes to reasonable accommodations to keep people at work. I don’t charge for it either but do complete during appt.

No to signing people off work. If they aren’t well enough to work, they need IOP/PHP/ECT/TMS/residential etc and they can complete the paperwork. patients typically get worse when not working if they aren’t receiving intensive treatment. I do sometimes see pts for multiple times per week treatment and might consider filling out stuff then.

Reactions: 10 users
It is so bizarre that employers need a form signed to provide written instructions to their employees or other forms of accommodations

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I probably sign FMLA and STD 99% of the time, but I have requirements:

1. These are completed in monthly intervals. This means that 3 months off would require me filling these out 3x, 1 per month.

2. I require a level of care that is at least seeing me every 3 weeks and meeting with a counselor weekly. My requirements may be more intensive but not less. The goal is to return to work. Failure to meet requirements means I don’t continue paperwork requests.

3. Paperwork is done in appointments or requires a fee. If done in appointments, these appointments are in addition to the min of being seen q3 weeks or more frequent.

My policy is mainly because I believe the barrier to get good mental healthcare should be low. Many employers are strict on time off and availability to get help. That said, I expect those that take leave to be active in their recovery, take it seriously, and then return to work.

Reactions: 8 users
Agree with the above. I don't currently sign paperwork like this due to the nature of my clinic, but when I worked in continuity clinics I almost always had the policy that if I was signing paperwork for extended time off that the patient needed to be actively receiving a higher level of care than seeing me every 8-12 weeks.

In residency, our clinic let the residents decide if they wanted to fill out this paperwork but had a general guideline that no one should fill out paperwork if the patient had not been a patient of the clinic for at least 6 months.

This is a large part of outpatient psych

Lots of people just have workplace conflicts and don't want to go back to work.

I'm fairly liberal with std forms. What do you do with the Patirnts thst have exhausted std and then are you asking you to fill out long term disability forms? They may say that want one year off or they request for ssdi?

How do you respond to these? I usually tell them it's against professional guidelines for me to fill out. But am I supposed to have them pay a forensic psych $1000s to get an IME done? It's an odd situation to be in.

If people aren't enrolled in PHP/IOP I don't sign for FMLA.

If certain populations are will likely crash during coming off meds in order to complete an MSLT, I'll sign FMLA time off for that, if they are willing to endure to get answer of MSLT/narcolepsy, etc.

Never LTD.
Never do SSD forms. Except for schizophrenia patients, or MRDD, etc. Depression? no. Anxiety? no.

And if patients push, or persist in requests, I let them know I can fill things out ... but it will not be favorable to what they want.

I don't spell out what accomodations should be for ADHD. That's up to the school/university. I do my part and write a letter saying diagnosis XYZ if necessary.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm fairly liberal with std forms. What do you do with the Patirnts thst have exhausted std and then are you asking you to fill out long term disability forms? They may say that want one year off or they request for ssdi?

How do you respond to these? I usually tell them it's against professional guidelines for me to fill out. But am I supposed to have them pay a forensic psych $1000s to get an IME done? It's an odd situation to be in.
I take a similar approach. Short term disability / FMLA is typically an earned benefit. Long term disability is something they have to prove via a system outside my office. I’ll quote AAPLs guidelines on not serving dual roles, refer for for an IME, but let them know I’m happy to send records. I’ve found setting expectations ie SSI is an 18+ month process, and referring to a disability lawyer, stops these borderline disability cases from pursuing this.

I write letters of accommodation for ADHD and autism. I keep them very specific to the person’s needs, which upsets some people. A letter of accommodation is not a blanket recommendation to work remotely and avoid life, which is what some people want but don’t get. I look at specific responsibilities, areas where they struggle and accommodations that can keep them at work.

I take a similar approach. Short term disability / FMLA is typically an earned benefit. Long term disability is something they have to prove via a system outside my office. I’ll quote AAPLs guidelines on not serving dual roles, refer for for an IME, but let them know I’m happy to send records. I’ve found setting expectations ie SSI is an 18+ month process, and referring to a disability lawyer, stops these borderline disability cases from pursuing this.

Yeah I don't get this that much in child now but with adult patients who would bring up "getting on disability" (in terms of LTD) all of them seemed to have no idea the length of the process....I've had a homeless schizophrenic patient who clearly couldn't function outside of a long term facility who took multiple applications for disability.

I'm more liberal with FMLA but that's mostly because I'm filling it out for parents these days to bring their kids to appointments...remember there's a bunch of options on FMLA and something you could probably check is that they have a chronic medical condition that will require X number of appointments a month/year. FMLA is only entitling you to UNPAID leave so there's less of an incentive anyway to abuse it, it's basically so people don't lose their jobs while off. I don't think I've ever filled out FMLA or any similar type of thing on the first visit though.

If it's more of a psychiatric LOA or STD type thing, then yes absolutely they need to be in IOP or PHP or seeing you AND a therapist (kind of in between IOP/PHP) weekly while getting into a program.

I have written for work accommodations (and school accommodations all the time of course) but only after I've known the patient for a while. I also fill that out during the appointment with the patient so they know exactly what I'm writing on it (comes up with college accommodations all the time).

Reactions: 1 users

A large part of outpatient psych is patients seeking inappropriate things. It's not our job to rubber stamp them.

They may say that want one year off or they request for ssdi?

Not my circus, not my monkeys. I'm not supposed to do anything other than practice psychiatry.

I generally don't get involved in 95% of these things, which boils down to a patient trying to get me involved in extracting money out of a third party (employer, insurance, and/or government) in an inherently adversarial context. That's not my job. The patient can get their own disability lawyer who will review their med records, advocate for them if they deem the case legit, and get a cut of the proceeds.

The other side is sometimes an employer wants me to do a duty for fitness eval, i.e., extract free work from me as well as shift liability on to me. No, sorry. I don't work for you, and I won't assume personal liability for you because you are too cheap to have your HR assess or retain someone to assess your employee.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I've seen patients be fired from their jobs.. because their accommodation requests were well.. unreasonable. Like if you want a remote job - apply for remote jobs; don't expect that your employer is going to accommodate you. People treat us like a get out of jail free card. I've tried to train staff that if anyone mentions anything legal as the reason for their appointment to turn them away. Those people can go to a chiropractor to get that stuff filled out.

Last edited:
Long term disability is also a no for me pretty much outside of refractory schizophrenia and if the person is well enough to be asking for it themselves, it may not be indicated. The times I filled it out, family members asked. FMLA or any other short term disability leaves are SOLELY to get a person enrolled in a PHP/IOP, we're talking 3 days. After that, the PHP/IOP will handle the leave requests. I wouldn't sign off on any other sort of leave. I call other types of leave "Price is Right therapy" and it has no clinical basis. There are some people who need FMLA for weekly hourly talk therapy and that seems very reasonable, although it's pretty rare as standard sick leave is generally used.

Because of how our system is set up I generally end up approving the FMLA for the duration of the IOP/PHP. Things just flow way more smoothly that way. My MA does 95% of the paperwork anyway and she's really efficient with it so it's not like it takes me any time.

I also generally only do 1 month at a time. You can always update FMLA/LOA paperwork.

I don't think it's unreasonable to do the whole leave yourself if you know a patient is going to be doing an IOP or PHP, but in most systems it probably makes more sense to have the program do it.

I used to be against filling FMLA, but essentially it is just a form stating they need unpaid time off and cannot be fired for taking this time off (at least not until they come back from leave). If it's clearly an avoidance mechanism related to anxiety, then no, I won't fill it, but otherwise I don't see the harm. But I only fill these out during the appointment. I don't sign it for more than 3 weeks; I figure by then they can find a PHP/IOP, and they need to agree to see me weekly until they find an IOP.

If they want STD then they need to be in IOP or PHP.
I never do LTD

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users