Do you take EMS phone calls from the field? Do you get paid to do that?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thegenius

Senior Wharf Rat
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
We regularly get phone calls from EMS for questions like
1. terminating CPR efforts (they want to document a doc to do that)
2. authorizing to give more pain meds (they can only give like fentanyl 50 mcg x1)
3. to talk to patients on the phone whom they believe have a medical emergency but pt doesn't want to come to the ER
4. questions on whether to make a pt Code 2 or Code 3 (less or more severe)
5. review EKGs is it a STEMI
6. does pt meet trauma criteria

Some of these requests are OK, for instance #2, #5. I really hate doing #1 and refuse to do #3.

For you ER docs who take similar calls, is there a financial relationship between your hospital and the county for you to provide these services? I feel that in some cases we are taking on risk but not being compensated for it. Like #1.

Members don't see this ad.

I have to take these calls on the regular. There is no increased compensation for me. I have generally taken the tone of "if you are unsure, bring them in." In my short experience as an attending it has mainly been for psych complaints. Obviously I'm more on the cautious side. It sucks though for sure.

Paid? LOL. Like some broke @ss EMS department is going to pay you for anything....

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a part-time medical director (board-certified in EMS). I'm paid a total of $5,000/month for being the medical director of a large fire department, 2 very small fire departments, and a paramedic training program. They call my cell phone for all items above. If I'm not available, then they call the ER (which is handled by the EM-3 resident).

1. My state requires a physician order to stop CPR. We have aggressive protocols that allow for not initiating CPR, but once it's initiated, a physician order (direct, not protocol-based) is required to cease resuscitation.

2. I mitigate this by allowing 3 doses of fentanyl/Versed and up to 2 doses of ketamine under standing orders. We utilize a tightly controlled tracking system (that was recognized in Congress and has since become a standard many agencies have adopted -- this was recognized during voting on the Protecting Patient Access to Emergency Medications Act). When we receive a shipment of a controlled substance, 2 paramedics sign it in. Each vial is barcoded. I can track that vial from arrival at headquarters to the patient who receives it or the reverse distributor that destroys it (and every paramedic who had it in his/her possession). Any open top vial is sent to a reverse distributor where it is tested to make sure it contains the drug. When a paramedic administers a controlled substance, I receive an email the following morning that includes the attached PCR. I print, sign, scan, and email it back to the EMS Operations division. I then either mail the original or drop it off at our biweekly meeting.

3. I also do not take these calls while on-duty unless it is from my fire department. I cannot "authorize a refusal" like some paramedics ask. I can only say "hey, I think you should be seen." No physician can give permission for a patient to refuse. If the patient has capacity to make decisions, then it is his or her right to refuse. Sign on the dotted line. No prehospital provider has ever been successfully sued for a refusal when assessed properly and the patient has capacity to make decisions.

4. If they are asking whether to run lights or sirens, then that's absurd. For one, I do not believe in lights and siren returns to the hospital. The 90 seconds saved in running code to the hospital has no proven benefit to patient outcomes and has significant risk to the public and to the prehospital personnel in the ambulance. It took a while, but docs finally got on board with trauma patients with a BP of 80 being transported to the ER without lights and sirens. Recently we had a question whether a physician can order lights and siren for a transport for a testicular torsion. If one of my crews ran lights and siren for a testicular torsion transfer, I would be livid and they would be in my office being disciplined. A physician cannot order a crew to run lights and siren. They can order medical care within a scope of practice, but they cannot order a crew to run lights and siren as much as they can order a crew to only make right turns, to accelerate fully to the speed limit, or to slam on the brakes at any intersection. This is more of a policy and not protocol, and only a medical director can decide that.

5. All prehospital EKG's by my fire department come to my cell phone. They can text/call and I can pull it up immediately. However, all EKG's transmitted to my hospital are reviewed by the interventional cardiologist 24/7. They can activate/cancel the cath lab based on prehospital EKG.

6. If a crew called me to ask if a patient met trauma criteria, I would tell them to refer to their protocols. We have established trauma criteria that includes optimal destination decisions. There is published criteria for it.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm a part-time medical director (board-certified in EMS). I'm paid a total of $5,000/month for being the medical director of a large fire department, 2 very small fire departments, and a paramedic training program. They call my cell phone for all items above. If I'm not available, then they call the ER (which is handled by the EM-3 resident).

1. My state requires a physician order to stop CPR. We have aggressive protocols that allow for not initiating CPR, but once it's initiated, a physician order (direct, not protocol-based) is required to cease resuscitation.

2. I mitigate this by allowing 3 doses of fentanyl/Versed and up to 2 doses of ketamine under standing orders. We utilize a tightly controlled tracking system (that was recognized in Congress and has since become a standard many agencies have adopted -- this was recognized during voting on the Protecting Patient Access to Emergency Medications Act). When we receive a shipment of a controlled substance, 2 paramedics sign it in. Each vial is barcoded. I can track that vial from arrival at headquarters to the patient who receives it or the reverse distributor that destroys it (and every paramedic who had it in his/her possession). Any open top vial is sent to a reverse distributor where it is tested to make sure it contains the drug. When a paramedic administers a controlled substance, I receive an email the following morning that includes the attached PCR. I print, sign, scan, and email it back to the EMS Operations division. I then either mail the original or drop it off at our biweekly meeting.

3. I also do not take these calls while on-duty unless it is from my fire department. I cannot "authorize a refusal" like some paramedics ask. I can only say "hey, I think you should be seen." No physician can give permission for a patient to refuse. If the patient has capacity to make decisions, then it is his or her right to refuse. Sign on the dotted line. No prehospital provider has ever been successfully sued for a refusal when assessed properly and the patient has capacity to make decisions.

4. If they are asking whether to run lights or sirens, then that's absurd. For one, I do not believe in lights and siren returns to the hospital. The 90 seconds saved in running code to the hospital has no proven benefit to patient outcomes and has significant risk to the public and to the prehospital personnel in the ambulance. It took a while, but docs finally got on board with trauma patients with a BP of 80 being transported to the ER without lights and sirens. Recently we had a question whether a physician can order lights and siren for a transport for a testicular torsion. If one of my crews ran lights and siren for a testicular torsion transfer, I would be livid and they would be in my office being disciplined. A physician cannot order a crew to run lights and siren. They can order medical care within a scope of practice, but they cannot order a crew to run lights and siren as much as they can order a crew to only make right turns, to accelerate fully to the speed limit, or to slam on the brakes at any intersection. This is more of a policy and not protocol, and only a medical director can decide that.

5. All prehospital EKG's by my fire department come to my cell phone. They can text/call and I can pull it up immediately. However, all EKG's transmitted to my hospital are reviewed by the interventional cardiologist 24/7. They can activate/cancel the cath lab based on prehospital EKG.

6. If a crew called me to ask if a patient met trauma criteria, I would tell them to refer to their protocols. We have established trauma criteria that includes optimal destination decisions. There is published criteria for it.

That's really informative. How many hours do you do EMS med direction work per week? And what are your thoughts on physician field response?

Ours is 50 years of tradition, unimpeded by progress...

Medical command here is regional and based at certain hospitals. There’s probably an MOU or money exchanging hands between the state and the hospitals that host the command centers. To my knowledge, the physicians themselves receive no extra compensation for answering med control calls.

A lot of our calls are for #1, since medics are required to call in for all deaths in the field, even the obvious signs of death, fished out of a river, etc.

Occasionally, get calls for #2, mainly from AEMT crews with limited pain med ability

Don’t get calls for #3, or #4.

#5 transmits directly to the receiving facility and that doc’s discretion activates the cath lab

#6 The calltaker at command determines trauma criteria from the report and makes the activation unless there’s a grey area and then they call us

We only speak to the crews directly on rare occasions. Regional command center takes the report and calls us for orders

That's really informative. How many hours do you do EMS med direction work per week? And what are your thoughts on physician field response?

It varies a lot by week, but I usually average 25-30 hours/month. I can do field responses, but they're rare (only when asked). Recently responded for a field amputation call. I occasionally will ride a shift with an engine or rescue (usually I do this while working on protocols -- combine the two). I've found that firefighters are amazing cooks (we have two who have won national titles in competitions).

Recently responded for a field amputation call.
Traumatic amp, or, you cut it off? The SUNY Buffalo SMART car supposedly has amputation saws on board, but, I'm hard-pressed to think of any case beyond VERY rare that would need a doc on scene to cut something off (like, you cut it off to rescue the rest of the remaining pt, who then gets transported to hospital, +/- the limb).

Also, I was never trained in that.

Traumatic amp, or, you cut it off? The SUNY Buffalo SMART car supposedly has amputation saws on board, but, I'm hard-pressed to think of any case beyond VERY rare that would need a doc on scene to cut something off (like, you cut it off to rescue the rest of the remaining pt, who then gets transported to hospital, +/- the limb).

Also, I was never trained in that.

Field amputation calls are rare. I've only responded to one that required an amputation. Yes, an EMS physician cuts it off with a Gigli saw. We have a field amputation kit that's assembled for rare cases. We've now developed a Surgical Emergency Response Team (SERT) whereby I or a batt chief will pick up a trauma surgeon and take him/her to the scene. Field amputations are no fun for an EMS physician. I know of at least 10 who have performed field amputations (including the other EMS physician at my shop).

Reactions: 1 users
One of the nurses usually picks up the radio, occasionally they'll shout a question across the room at me and I'll yell back "sure" or "go for it". I'd rather review field EKGs than have to deal with cancelling a false-activation.

I would not get on the phone w/ a potential patient to try to convince them to come in. Lol, I can't imagine what the conversation would be like, "Sir, I don't know anything about you and have no idea why you called 911 today. The paramedics tell me you should come in. I have no idea whether you have a medical emergency going on and cannot answer any questions you may have."

I may be an dingus to the medics, but I refuse to call codes in the field. I am typically extremely friendly in person to the medics and consider them an extension of myself. BUT. I always ask if they have called their medical director. If they haven't, either bring them in so I can see them or let someone else's name go on the chart. No I don't care if its a 90yo demented person with 1 hour of Asystole. My name isn't going on that chart with who knows what going on. That's the state of our medicolegal system.

I may be an dingus to the medics, but I refuse to call codes in the field. I am typically extremely friendly in person to the medics and consider them an extension of myself. BUT. I always ask if they have called their medical director. If they haven't, either bring them in so I can see them or let someone else's name go on the chart. No I don't care if its a 90yo demented person with 1 hour of Asystole. My name isn't going on that chart with who knows what going on. That's the state of our medicolegal system.

Just curious, is there any legal precedent for being worried about this? How often are ER docs being sued because EMS terminated resuscitative efforts too early?

Just curious, is there any legal precedent for being worried about this? How often are ER docs being sued because EMS terminated resuscitative efforts too early?
No Clue to be honest. And I don't want to be first.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

You really have them bring every code in? Don't they have a protocol that says they can terminate if x, y, and z are met and it's ok by the physician (you)? Practicing medicine scared is no way to practice medicine. I hope all these patients' ghosts are rattling chains in your house when you're trying to sleep for continuing to subject them to unnecessary interventions.

You could be held liable if they run code to the hospital and end up in an accident.

You really have them bring every code in? Don't they have a protocol that says they can terminate if x, y, and z are met and it's ok by the physician (you)? Practicing medicine scared is no way to practice medicine. I hope all these patients' ghosts are rattling chains in your house when you're trying to sleep for continuing to subject them to unnecessary interventions.

Yeah, if they call I do. And I sleep like a baby. Let their medical director make the call. Why should I take ANY risk? I didn't sign a contract with them. Will my malpractice insurance even cover me? I don't know. The EMS crew just calls a different Hospital and terminates it that way. Also, I have spoken with at least 4 other EMS medical directors in the region who don't fault me at all for doing this and some even do the same. In fact, I was field terminating until 10 months ago until one of my colleagues/friends who is EMS director for one of the nation's largest EMS crews in the country encouraged me to never do it again. That's what happens in our society. I wish it weren't so.

Yeah, if they call I do. And I sleep like a baby. Let their medical director make the call. Why should I take ANY risk? I didn't sign a contract with them. Will my malpractice insurance even cover me? I don't know. The EMS crew just calls a different Hospital and terminates it that way. Also, I have spoken with at least 4 other EMS medical directors in the region who don't fault me at all for doing this and some even do the same. In fact, I was field terminating until 10 months ago until one of my colleagues/friends who is EMS director for one of the nation's largest EMS crews in the country encouraged me to never do it again. That's what happens in our society. I wish it weren't so.

You chose the wrong field if you’re worried about accepting even minimal risk. Do you admit every chest pain patient you see? Discharging them is much higher risk than terminating a field code. I understand wanting to sleep well but I also prefer to practice good medicine and do what’s right for the patient...which sometimes is nothing.

This is really, really overkill.

I feel bad for the medics, and the patient...but to each their own.

Either there's something in the ED you can add or fix, or there isn't - and you call it.

On the scale of things to get worried about getting sued for, this is like so so low. Do the right thing.

I love getting the report and asking...
"Blah blah blah thousand year old person found unresponsive, unknown down time, worked them 30 minutes, asystole in all leads, can we terminate?"
"So you're telling me they're dead?"
"Yes sir"
"TOD is..."

They seem to like that question. I feel they are more than capable of making that decision.

• Haha
The fact that we're entertaining the idea of getting sued for pronouncing a patient with intractable asystole, or for the driving habits of an EMS crew (despite the fact that the agency has their own auto insurance carrier, operational policies, and medical director) is insanity.

Reactions: 2 users
You chose the wrong field if you’re worried about accepting even minimal risk. Do you admit every chest pain patient you see? Discharging them is much higher risk than terminating a field code. I understand wanting to sleep well but I also prefer to practice good medicine and do what’s right for the patient...which sometimes is nothing.

It's not about taking risk vs not taking risk. It's about taking risk you're paid for and taking risk you're not paid for. Why take on any risk for zero compensation? (this ignores any discussion on whether authorizing field termination has risk attached, real or perceived).

It's not about taking risk vs not taking risk. It's about taking risk you're paid for and taking risk you're not paid for. Why take on any risk for zero compensation? (this ignores any discussion on whether authorizing field termination has risk attached, real or perceived).

So you might as well rip the EMS radio/phone out of the wall since you aren’t getting paid to do it...see how that goes.

Speak to your medical director, I'm willing to bet It's part of your job to take the calls. And you don't know if you're insured for it? Considering it is part of your job to do it, I cannot imagine the person in charge of your malpractice insurance would leave the employer, hospital, etc. unprotected. If you are truly not covered for EMS online medical direction, then do not even answer the phone, because you do yourself no favors by picking up the phone and giving BAD medical direction. So there is no ambiguity, you're reckless if you're telling every crew to transport, and you are actually taking on far more liability by doing what you are doing. If someone gets hurt due to an MVC, you'll have EMS experts lining up to testify against your non-evidence-based practice in the case of claim. And, to be sure, the evidence is not ambiguous. The benefits do not outweigh the risks. Additionally, you are risking the safety of the EMS crew out of a fear that is, in all actuality, not based on anything other than a hunch of yours.

I get EMS calls about 1/ month asking for termination in sustained V.fib/tach after 30 mins downtime and 2 doses of amio, and 6-7 defib attempts....

I am not sure how this originated, I presume a series of protocols developed by our regional EMS medical directors and the area hospitals, but only certain hospitals in my region give medical command, it tends to be the trauma centers (even for non-trauma issues). They will call one of the designated medical command centers even if they would/will transport the patient to a different closer hospital. I have worked both at the hospitals where I give medical command and ones where I do not.

I am generally not super enthusiastic about it, as it is almost always fairly high risk situations (patient does not want to be transported, but capacity is questionable or terminating resuscitation and pronouncing a patient dead) with very minimal information (I am totally at the mercy of the medic's field reports, which may be sketchy).

That being said, it is expected that if they call and I am the physician on duty, I respond and try my best. I cannot decline to provide command if called.

Generally speaking we use the biocom radios to communicate with the crews. Once in a blue moon a rural service (without radios that connect to our band) will use a personal medic cell phone and call the ER as an outside call and I speak to them over the phone. This is generally not protocol as all biocom radio communications are recorded and reviewed for QC or if questions arise later. This dispensation is made for rural services who are technically incapable of reaching us by the standard radio bands for whatever reason. This does not occur super frequently.

I have never been given any additional compensation for this service, it is considered an expected responsibility with the posts that have medical command. These do not count as "my cases" and I cannot collect any RVUs on them for this service (unless of course the patient is transported to the hospital I am at and I then see them as a regular patient, where I collect regular RVUs for the case like any other, with no other special RVUs for biocom medical command).

I am very conservative in my practice in general and particularly with regards to field questions as information is limited; however, this is totally unreasonable my dude.

You are going to be wasting a lot of peoples time.

Do you think there is any hope for meaningful neurological recovery in the 90 y/o who has been down 1 hour, regardless of the cause? Does it really matter if there was a few minutes of fine v fib the EMS team missed?

Don't get me wrong, I have refused to authorize termination in the field, but it is usually because the patient is very young (child or young adult) or there are some other encouraging signs of life (shockable rhythm, high EtCO2, etc.) Most of the time these are already in accordance with our existing protocols that mandate transport, and the medic in question is not correctly applying the termination protocol. This is the reason for physician review.

But yeah old, 30 mins+ of field resuscitation with line, airway, and meds onboard, with asystole/PEA, they call for term, I'm gonna call it. And that's what it is the vast majority of the time.

I should have thought of this years ago.

The biggest liability risk an EM physician takes is driving to work.

"Sorry kids, I can't drive you to soccer or dance since I am not being adequately compensated for the risk."

That would have come in so handy. Why is every good idea 20 years too late?

The only thing on this list that should bother you is 3. It’s inappropriate. You just tell them to tell the patient you recommended to come in and not talk to them directly.

The rest is fine and doesn’t bother me.

Came to see if this made it here. This is another non-paywalled summary. It specifically says in the last couple paragraphs, "Beauchamp was pronounced dead by a local emergency department physician based on medical information provided by first responders on the scene, the fire department said in an August 24 statement."

It does make me wonder about potential liability exposure. It would be very interesting to know if there is actual precedent here and whether medical malpractice coverage generally covers providing online medical direction (or in the event that you aren't a "base hospital physician" for a given system, whatever the EMS equivalent of curbside consults is). It will be interesting to see if this results in a suit or any kind of chilling effect on remote pronouncements of death. It will make me think twice, but probably not change my general practice, which is essentially to let the dead remain dead without being subjected to drawn out resuscitations in the field when their premorbid conditions or age or the conditions of their OOHCA make it highly improbable they would ever have an acceptable quality of life again. I've seen the "Lazarus effect" happen in hospitals multiple times in a short training/career, who's to say it won't happen in the field and up on a cell phone camera or the news.

Just read the complaint. It's crazy. The documented sequence of events is:
Pt in resp distress
EMS called to scene
Pt put on monitor including EtCO2
EMS says patient not breathing
End tidal shows spontaneous respiration
Leads show organized viable rhythm but EMS states no pulse (the lawsuit says the monitor showed she had a pulse, but this appears to not understand the concept of PEA). That said, patient clearly wasn't in PEA arrest.
EMS stops compressions after 30 min.
5 min later they call med ctrl to ask for permission to stop, which they already have.
Permission granted
EtCO2 still showing spontaneous respirations
EMS packs up and goes to leave
Family says they see pt breathing
EMS goes back, reattaches leads and sees organized rhythm. Says she's dead and that her body is moving "because of meds they gave her"
EMS leaves
Funeral home comes to pick up patient a few hours later.
Funeral home guy is like "are you sure she's dead?"
Family relays the story about meds making her body move
Pt brought to funeral home
Embalmer finds patient alive and breathing and calls 911.

WTF.

The 4 EMTs are listed in the suit. The doc who gave permission to terminate is mentioned but is not being sued. The suit specifically mentions how the doc was given erroneous information about the pt's condition.

As another random thing I just learned, I couldn't find the $50M listed in the suit. It just lists "more than $75k" in a couple of places. Apparently you need to sue someone for more than 75K in order for it to be heard at a certain court level.

• Wow
People worry about lawsuits all the time Which is fair but when you actually look at the data of it. I don’t lose any sleep over it or really why I need to be obsessed with it.

You may be sued but getting a successful suit is mostly on your side statistically speaking (66% of cases) also getting high payouts over your malpractice is mostly unheard of. People always say well you have to put it on credentialing committee’s when you apply to hospitals.

So what if you do? I mean credentialing is going to take a long time anyway and mostly people are listed on suits all the times and they’re dropped or people don’t have any payouts so it’s not like it’s a bad thing that you did.

I mean if you’re that worried about medical lawsuits when you’re working you should practically be single. Because statistically speaking you go through more stress and lose more money in a divorce.

The physicians I know who had their wealth decimated have been divorced not sued.

Last edited:
Speak to your medical director, I'm willing to bet It's part of your job to take the calls. And you don't know if you're insured for it? Considering it is part of your job to do it, I cannot imagine the person in charge of your malpractice insurance would leave the employer, hospital, etc. unprotected. If you are truly not covered for EMS online medical direction, then do not even answer the phone, because you do yourself no favors by picking up the phone and giving BAD medical direction. So there is no ambiguity, you're reckless if you're telling every crew to transport, and you are actually taking on far more liability by doing what you are doing. If someone gets hurt due to an MVC, you'll have EMS experts lining up to testify against your non-evidence-based practice in the case of claim. And, to be sure, the evidence is not ambiguous. The benefits do not outweigh the risks. Additionally, you are risking the safety of the EMS crew out of a fear that is, in all actuality, not based on anything other than a hunch of yours.

would Love to see the evidence that EMS driving an ambulance is a risk for a doctor asking them to bring in a patient.

there has to be more to it than that.

Such an insane and stupid amount of money

That is why in almost every state it is not permitted to ask for a specific amount in damages in a personal injury (medical malpractice) suit.

The only statement would be that it is over a minimum amount needed for a specific court's jurisdiction. I believe to get into federal court the amount must be over $75K and the plaintiff and defendant must be residents of a different state.

Or apparently in this case perhaps there is a Michigan Superior Court that has a jurisdiction limit.

But courts found that trial lawyers were pulling stunts/commercials "I sued for a Billion!" "No I sued for a Trillion!" so they, in most places, stopped that.

Last edited:
People worry about lawsuits all the time Which is fair but when you actually look at the data of it. I don’t lose any sleep over it or really why I need to be obsessed with it.

People have an innate ability to worry about the wrong things.

I had these 70 year old's who are worried that the needle is contaminated and they will get AIDS. Yes, there are a lot of things you should worry about if you are old and being admitted... but that ain't it.

As I said in another post, if you suffer a devastating judgement in court, it is going to be because of an accident on the way to or from work, not a malpractice suit. (I will save scaring you about your kid injuring someone after wrecking the car after having a beer at a friend's house for Halloween.)