Do you think I will be ready? Sept 3rd MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

defendingsilence

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, long story short...I wanted to write the MCAT in September. Booked a spot and everything.
I was hoping to get about 3 months of solid studying in, but a research project ended up coming my way...with a chance of publication. So, two months later, I can finally devote my time to studying. I have about a month and roughly 2 weeks left until my MCAT. I think a lot of the material will be review, however, I wanted to get a second opinion. Is it feasible to think that I can get all the material in by my test date? If yes, how many hours do you think I should devote to studying?

Members don't see this ad.

So, long story short...I wanted to write the MCAT in September. Booked a spot and everything.
I was hoping to get about 3 months of solid studying in, but a research project ended up coming my way...with a chance of publication. So, two months later, I can finally devote my time to studying. I have about a month and roughly 2 weeks left until my MCAT. I think a lot of the material will be review, however, I wanted to get a second opinion. Is it feasible to think that I can get all the material in by my test date? If yes, how many hours do you think I should devote to studying?

I've seen people do it in less than 2 months. One who scored 510-514 range (I only know the person's pre lim) after 3.5 weeks of consistent studying but apparently 2-3 weeks sporadically through the 4-5 months prior to the month before the exam.

The other person had a similar problem to yours. Something came up for the individual too. The person got around the 33-36 range for the old MCAT (although, the individual admitted if they had more time for their PS section which was their lowest score, the person thought a 37+ wasn't totally out of reach). I think this individual though had a really solid basis despite one AAMC exam that was 10 points lower than his AAMC average of 32-33. Their prep seemed rush compared to most people I know who took the old MCAT. Either way, the person was very happy with their score.

I would argue these two individuals are "rare" though to be honest. The first one especially really surprised me since that individual didn't even take the AAMC FL or AAMC Official Guide questions, aka I don't think it was totally out of reach that the individual could have scored higher.

N=1 of here, but I studied for 6 weeks and ended up with a 515. It can certainly be done if you focus well enough. I had just come out of a year long post-bacc with all pre-med req classes though, with biochem in the spring right before the June MCAT, which helped immensely.

Usually the ballpark for study hours I think is around 250 - 300 ? If you can get in 40 a week then I say go for it.

BUT ... a September MCAT is very late for this cycle, especially MD. So if you're not really shooting for this round, then I would wait till maybe January and not rush it.

Don't rush it. I can't tell you if 6 weeks is enough because I don't know how good your knowledge is, and if you remember everything needed for MCAT that you've taken during college. Some people can pull it off in 6 weeks and some take a year. For most, you need at least 3-4 weeks of constant practice and practice ONLY. If you're going to review the material, then that by itself will take you weeks (again, it varies from one person to another).
This test is also 7+ hours and you need to practice staying focused through out the test (Just sitting for that test is painful).
I'm not trying to discourage. You do not want to repeat the MCAT.
Take the test Jan, that will give plenty of time to study and prepare. That way, you can apply as soon as the coming cycle opens.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user