Do you think I've got a good shot at getting in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ochem5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's the story. I got a 91 comp on the pcat 1st time.
Verbal-58
Bio-97
RC-84
Q-85
Chem-88
I'm thinking of retaking...I get that most of you probably think it's stupid to consider retaking, but heres the thing, my first semester in college I received 2 Fs and the second semester I withdrew from everything except for one class. (My grandpa was diagnosed with terminal cancer). I finished my freshman year with a 1.58. Because of this I was placed on academic probation. Yikes!! The next semester I got my act together and retook the classes I failed and brought my gpa up to a 3.3. I have since continued to improve and my gpa now is a 3.52 with a 3.68 science. I will have my bs in bio next semester. I have great letters recommendation from my calc and ochem professors and a great personal statement. However I only have 50 hours in volunteering and no experience in pharmacy except for a 4 hour shadow. I'm afraid that my lack of ECs and experience, and my placement on academic probation my freshman year will affect my chances of getting into my school of choice so an amazing pcat would make me look much better right?
I know I can improve in the math and chem sections of the pcat. The only reason I didn't score higher is because I ran out of time and had to bubble in random answers (I didn't practice time in these sections as much as I should have and I didn't know the passages were experimental), but I'm afraid that RC might decrease bc I barely had enough time to finish. My verbal might go down as well as I don't know how to study for this section. I feel that the material in the verbal section is acquired over time.
Do you think I've got a good chance of getting in considering everything? should I retake the pcat to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Okay so here's the story. I got a 91 comp on the pcat 1st time.
Verbal-58
Bio-97
RC-84
Q-85
Chem-88
I'm thinking of retaking...I get that most of you probably think it's stupid to consider retaking, but heres the thing, my first semester in college I received 2 Fs and the second semester I withdrew from everything except for one class. (My grandpa was diagnosed with terminal cancer). I finished my freshman year with a 1.58. Because of this I was placed on academic probation. Yikes!! The next semester I got my act together and retook the classes I failed and brought my gpa up to a 3.3. I have since continued to improve and my gpa now is a 3.52 with a 3.68 science. I will have my bs in bio next semester. I have great letters recommendation from my calc and ochem professors and a great personal statement. However I only have 50 hours in volunteering and no experience in pharmacy except for a 4 hour shadow. I'm afraid that my lack of ECs and experience, and my placement on academic probation my freshman year will affect my chances of getting into my school of choice so an amazing pcat would make me look much better right?
I know I can improve in the math and chem sections of the pcat. The only reason I didn't score higher is because I ran out of time and had to bubble in random answers (I didn't practice time in these sections as much as I should have), but I'm afraid that RC might decrease bc I barely had enough time to finish. My verbal might go down as well as I don't know how to study for this section. I feel that the material in the verbal section is acquired over time.
Do you think I've got a good chance of getting in considering everything? should I retake the pcat to improve my chances?

I think you will have great chance of getting if you applied wisely and widely. You still have plenty of time to build some EC and working/volunteering/shadowing experience. You current gpa is great and the 1st year probatiom would be a nothing considering your academic uptrend.

Your composite pcat score is excellent with great scores in the subtests (I think your verbal is a ok). Do NOT retake !!

GL !! :)

I think you will have great chance of getting if you applied wisely and widely. You still have plenty of time to build some EC and working/volunteering/shadowing experience. You current gpa is great and the 1st year probatiom would be a nothing considering your academic uptrend.

Your composite pcat score is excellent with great scores in the subtests (I think your verbal is a ok). Do NOT retake !!

GL !! :)
Thanks that makes me feel better.