Do your rotations ask you for SSN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

This is ticking me off a little bit. Almost every rotation I have is asking me for my social security number when it's not necessary..... and no, it's not for the background check.

Members don't see this ad.

Why does it upset you?

I would be annoyed as well. I can't remember this happening in my rotations. Maybe my student ID number, but not my SSN. The more people you give it out too, the more likely it's leaked to some identity theft criminal group. If it's not needed for a specific purpose (taxes, background check, etc.), it shouldn't be asked.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why does it upset you?
Regardless of the possible actual security concern, why do they want any unnecessary personal info from me? They can kick rocks.

Reactions: 1 user
If they have an EMR, they need to enter you into their EMR/HR system. They may ask for an SSN from everyone, regardless if you're getting paid or not, to do so. You can ask politely if you can decline since you're not paid.

Residency did for all rotations away from my home institution. Fellowship did. Attending life, lol. I'm pretty sure I can easily google my SSN at this point after two credentialing processes.

Would probably let this go because its going to keep happening.