Doctor and Police Officers

K.Ar.I.Na

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so this is my first time posting to the forums so bear with me. I am currently in medical school and my fiance has just been accepted to the police academy. Though I'm so proud of him for accomplishing his dreams and goals, I'm a little afraid for our future. As you guys know cops and doctors have crazy work schedules. Would we be able to have a family? Would we have the time for it?

Members don't see this ad.

This is bit difficult to match the schedule. But I think if you and your fiance have good understand you can get the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is better than the alternative, which is being rejected from police academy, giving up on his dreams, and never succeeding in a fulfilling career that not only satisfies him but positively impacts society.

Will things be hard? No doubt. But what's the alternative? He stays at home watching Spongebob?

Reactions: 1 user
As a 9 year cop (transitioning into pre-med), I'll tell you that cop schedules vary widely by department and position. Generally training/academy time is more or less a fixed schedule, initial assignments (likely patrol unless his department pulls guys right away for UC or IA assignments) are usually rotating shift work, after which you can typically get yourself into a office hour type position.

It's definitely a challenge, but doable if you have good comms and are committed to each other. As he gains experience, his desired career path will evolve, just as yours will, and things will adjust. Also former military, so of all subjects addressed on SDN, hectic schedules/family life is the one thing I actually know something about. The main thing is you both acknowledge it'll be a challenge at times, but commit to making it work. Everything else will fall into place.

Reactions: 1 user
A doctor does not have to have a crazy work schedule

Reactions: 1 users