Doctor Nurse (NP). Does it matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's scary is my wife is a nurse. Her mom suggested she continue on with school (toward NP, ARNP) and become a doctor!! I am a medical student and just bite my tongue. What am I supposed to say? People this close to the medical profession (her parents) and they still think NP=doctor.

Another thing. An optometrist near my house has he's business called "Eye Physicians"! Can he do that?

Members don't see this ad.

Yah i agree this thing is getting OUT OF CONTROl. I have many family members/relatives that are nurses. They think it's completely ok to have this advanced nursing degrees and then eventually be called 'doctors' in the clinical setting.

It's ridiculous! The problem is that doctors try to be too "PC". Unfortunately by being too PC we're letting our guard down and allowing nurses/midlevels to just trample all over us. Part of the problem is that as physicians/med students we have spent a great deal of time and energy studying, taking boards, trying to get fellowships,etc. During this time the midlevels with their lobbying groups,etc have found ways to become more prominent in the health field by taking what used to be a doctors role. As docs we need to realize this. I'm going into Anesthesiology. Personally I feel that executive board members of the AMA or any given medical society that can not do what is for OUR best interest should be fired/replaced.

Also, lobbying groups are of the highest importance. Nurses (and I know the nurse anesthestists) have a HUGE lobbying group. We all as physicians need to band together and demand change. Things like autonomy should be reserved to physicians. Autonomy is a privelege. It's a privelege that docs have received after going to school and training for X numbers of years. We shouldnt just give it up readily to midlevels.

CatsandCradles said:
Dear smiley2,

Ever been to the doctor's office? What's the first question they ask you? "What insurance plan do you carry?"
...C

Clearly you are premed. You'll see how the real world is. See, as premeds most ppl dont realize the finances behind running an office, etc. Again this comes about because of our ignorance. All premeds/med students know is essentially medicine or how to study. Medicine folks is a business! It takes skills. YOu have ppl to pay. You have nurses to pay. You get pennies in terms of insurance reimbursements nowadays. THAT is why insurance is asked about. I agree, I wish we didnt have to ask about insurance and we could do whatever tests we desired would be the best for the patient. unforutnatley, the real world doesnt work like that because things are expensive and insurance reimbursement plays a key factor in terms of wht type of management occurs.

welcome to the real world. Unfortunately, again we as docs dont get trained in this. Nurses/midlevels get out early and experience the business aspect a lot earlier than us. THAT is why they have an edge to business when compared to us. We need to band together adn CHANGE this.

anyone have any idea when the AMA is going to convene next to tackle this issue? If it's not too late, I think we all ought to put pressure on the AMA leaders to solve this issue before it gets out of hand.

SleepIsGood said:
Clearly you are premed.

Yes I know. I am stupid and I know nothing.

But thank you for responding to me! :)

SleepIsGood said:
anyone have any idea when the AMA is going to convene next to tackle this issue? If it's not too late, I think we all ought to put pressure on the AMA leaders to solve this issue before it gets out of hand.

AMA doesnt have the power to do anything.

This is really a state by state fight. The people who have dropped the ball are the state medical boards. They are responsible for fighting the nursing boards to keep this stuff in check.

CatsandCradles said:
Yes I know. I am stupid and I know nothing.

But thank you for responding to me! :)
:laugh:
:thumbup: