About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Doctor vs Nurse... Doctor is easier to be?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by xilc, Jan 14, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. xilc

xilc

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So this "know it all" biology major has told me that she wants to be a doctor, yes, an MD, because it is far easier than being a nurse. She's told me that nurses have a far harder job, and work far more, and get paid far less and she could never do it because she wants a family and a life... And that doctors don't have to worry about keeping people alive... she said, and I quote..

"i dont want to be a nurse. i dont want to do chemistry my whole life and then have people's lives resting in my power like that.
    never will i be a nurse. i'd rather be the doctor."

"nurses keep track of the patients and do more of the dirty work
    i dont have to worry about that
    thats your job. its like you work for me see? i'll have my own office and i'll pay you and tell you when to work while i make my own schedule and tell you when i wont be there
    you can do the blood pressures and the blood drawing and respiration rates and heat beats
    i'll diagnose and write the prescriptions. and advise them on what they should probably do in the future."

But that's wrong, isn't it? Doctors ARE the ones that have people lives resting in their power... Doctors are the ones who do all the math and chemistry, aren't they? And how could being a doctor POSSIBLY be easier than being a nurse? Wouldn't everyone just go be a doctor then?

All in all, she's basically making claims that being a doctor is easier, less demanding, and you don't have to have responsibility for the lives of your patients.
  2. sliceofbread136

sliceofbread136

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :sleep::sleep:
    Based on this post I wouldn't want you as my doctor OR my nurse.
  3. Neurocentric

Neurocentric Очень приятно! :)

Pre-Medical
    Here we go..
  4. idontcaureuknow

idontcaureuknow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  5. Neurocentric

Pre-Medical
  6. xilc

xilc

it's a discussion, gtfo troll.
  7. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Responsible?!?! PGY3 Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    There is no discussion. There are no valid points.
  8. ACE Rx

ACE Rx Super Senior Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :scared:

That's a scary thought.
  9. idontcaureuknow

idontcaureuknow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Haha, I felt it summed up this day of SDN time killing quite well.

As for the OP:
    It's a team effort. If a nurse messes up, a patient can die. If a doctor messes up, a patient can die. Such is the business. With respect to chemistry, I'm not really sure most doctors have to practice chemistry while providing patient care. The closest thing to a chemist at a hospital is a pharmacist.

Oh, and your biology friend is a nutcase with a skewed view of practice. There, my pre-allo douchery in full form!
  10. hydrogen1

hydrogen1

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just rofld
  11. Neurocentric

Pre-Medical
    +1
  12. akszp4

akszp4

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  13. akszp4

akszp4

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  14. vin5cent0

vin5cent0

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    To be fair, my ex is a nurse, and there's no way I could do some of the crap that she has to deal with on a daily basis. Each profession has its ups and downs.
  15. anbuitachi

anbuitachi ASA Member

Medical Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    and right now many believe nursing has more ups than doctors
  16. Violagirl

Violagirl

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Agreed 100%. :thumbup:
  17. maybemed2013

maybemed2013

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have seen many doctors that let the nurse do all the paperwork and treatment and they ( the doctor) just reviews and signs off.
  18. kpcrew

kpcrew Removed

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  19. LifeTake2

LifeTake2

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Who has it harder:

The manager with 120 people who he has to direct, guide, mentor and take responsibility for....
    OR
    The hourly employee that packs boxes and moves crap with a forklift for 10hrs/day.

The manager may spend most of their time in an office with A/C and a nice chair; but their job requires a Master's degree and stress that most hourly employees can't fathom.

The hourly employee does a menial job with physical labor for lousy pay.

They are BOTH hard, but in very different ways. Just like nursing and medicine.
  20. HoltMD

HoltMD

Pre-Medical
  21. Jamie561

Jamie561

SDN 2+ Year Member
    ITT: OP gets butthurt, comes to SDN for reassurance.

+pity+

22. notbobtrustme

notbobtrustme Crux Terminatus

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you hate cleaning up poop/piss/blood on people, then nursing will be a difficult job no matter what.
  23. idontcaureuknow

idontcaureuknow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think the OP is funny and ridiculous. But so? I see your point, but so what? We are not comparing dairy farmers to healthcare work.
  24. intheclouds

intheclouds

Pre-Medical
    Well getting through/into a nursing program is definitely easier than the MD route. Doesn't mean that people in the nursing program aren't smart as well...some of them probably chose the route to achieve a better work/life balance.

I think the OP's comment is valid. I've heard that sh*t before too. Your classmate is a NUTJOB and I hope she snaps out of it before she makes it to medical school. The last thing we need is another generation full of arrogant doctors who have no respect for other healthcare workers.
  25. idontcaureuknow

idontcaureuknow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So shouldn't you be respecting the nurse for his/her work instead of being like "well, farm work is harder. So IDC." I mean the same argument applies if you grew up working construction, "construction work is harder, so nursing is easy."

I believe in respecting every profession and not diminishing their roles in society. Without farmers, construction workers, cooks, chefs, ect. society would fall apart. Each profession requires a different set of skills, and if you just wanna get by in life certain jobs are easier to hold than others. For that, I'll agree that nursing is easier to sleepwalk and collect a paycheck when compared to farming. But in the case of this thread, I see very little reason to reference farming except "hey, I used to work really hard."
  26. JohnnyRomanes

JohnnyRomanes wussup doge

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I just LOL'ed in the library so hard everybody looked at me like I was having a seizure.
  27. azerkail

azerkail Pre-Alchemy

Pre-Medical
    we can do greentext on here?
  28. 235788

235788 God Complex

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    :thumbup:

Plus doctors are smarter!
  29. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    And sexier.
  30. idontcaureuknow

idontcaureuknow

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Maybe I am reading the tone of your first post wrong, but I view your first comment as: "Hey, I know what hard work is, so do not complain because nursing is not." Which I find slightly disrespectful.
  31. DeterminedDoc

DeterminedDoc

This is such a stupid post. Doctors have more value and worth than nurses - its a part of the 10 years of schooling with rigorous standards that nurses don't go through. Nurses are important (being good looking wouldn't hurt either lol) in healthcare, but doctors are much higher up the ladder. Nurses do not have all the same responsibilities a physician has.
  32. RDlv

RDlv

Other Health Professions Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    This...and I'm glad you used the "forklift" metaphor. A forklift is a dangerous piece of machinery to operate, and can cause serious death and dismemberment if used improperly. A good forklift operator is a valuable employee, can have a stressful job at times, but is making good hourly $$ and gets to go home and kick back when the shift ends.

This is my life as an RN. Awesome pay, with a job that is challenging enough that I have to stay on my toes. Doing my job well benefits a whole spectrum of people, from the patient, to their family, to my physicians, the corporation, etc. For those suited to it, I recommend it without hesitation.
  33. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    Lets see, from every possible definition of "harder":

Reasons why it's harder to be a doctor:

It's harder to get into medical school.
    It takes longer to complete your MD/DO.
    Medical school costs more.
    Doctors have more responsibility.
    Doctors make life/death decisions.
    Doctors lead, nurses follow.
    Doctors teach, nurses learn.
    When a patient dies, the doctor tells the family.
    Doctors operate, nurses assist.
    Doctors interpret tests, nurses collect specimens for testing.

Reasons why it's harder to be a nurse:
    Nurses make less money.
    Nurses get told what to do all day long.
    Nurses might have to deal with cleaning up blood/vomit/stool/urine.
    Nurses don't get the respect doctors do.
    There is a stigma about male nurses.

Disclaimer: I have nothing against nurses. They are an important part of patient care and sometimes their job is difficult, just like sometimes a physician's job is easy. However, I disagree that it is harder to be a nurse. That doesn't mean nursing is easy, or unimportant, it just means it is harder to be a physician.

Also, whether or not a doctor is worth more than a nurse I don't know. I do think that it is easier to replace a good nurse than it is to replace a good doctor simply because there are way more nurses in the world than doctors, so statistically there must be more good nurses than good doctors.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  34. coyotelime

coyotelime

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    In b4 :lock:

(First time I've gotten to do this woohoo!)
  35. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    I don't see this thread getting locked. It's a legitimate discussion imo. Some nurses are going to think they are more important than doctors, and some doctors are going to think they are more important than nurses.
  36. dreamweaver1988

dreamweaver1988

Pre-Medical
    Losing all doctors probably wouldn't be as bad as losing all nurses.
  37. intheclouds

intheclouds

Pre-Medical
    Agreed!

I volunteered at a Cancer Agency in the hospital and it disgusted me seeing how the oncologists treated the chemo nurses. If I ever make it through medical school I vow never to turn into an egotistical jerk (hopefully)
  38. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  39. jtdMU2010

jtdMU2010 M2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    haha..I laughed hard at this. This is a dumb thread though. I don't think it's up for debate on which is harder. Med school is more school, more stress and more money than nursing school. Nurses get paid less sure and that is stressful if they are trying to make ends meet and they might work longer hours from time to time but all in all being a physician is going to be harder. You're biology major friend should stop talking.
  40. Aaron151

Aaron151

Pre-Medical
    The stigma I am assuming pertains to some feminine characteristics of male nurses? I don't think this is necessarily true. Maybe it is and I don't realize it but I am a third year male nursing student who has also played two years of Junior A hockey and been a personal trainer for five years has a girlfriend and has never been questioned about any type of femininity. haha One of my good buddies is also in my class and he plays Division I college hockey. I would say that around 25% of the nurses I work with at the hospital are male and they are guys that I would never associate with that stigma. If there was/is a stigma I think it is changing as nursing has become a profession and not just a menial job for women.

41. FunnyCurrent

FunnyCurrent Ripe Prince of Westwood

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Part of being mature includes realizing that there are people who will disagree with your world view and not caring. I guess that kind of confidence comes with experience.
  42. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    Nurses make enough money to not have trouble making ends meet, unless they are living beyond their means, but that's another story. Nurses don't make as much as doctors, but they make more than the national average.

I'm not talking about male nurses necessarily being feminine, I'm talking about nursing typically being viewed as a female profession. Hypothetically, if someone asked about a certain man's job, and that man happened to be a nurse, the person answering might say "Oh, he's a male nurse." I think the term/phrase "male nurse" is something we've all heard without thinking anything of it. However, I've never heard someone say "she's a female plumber," or "she's a female truck driver," despite plumbing and trucking typically being viewed as male professions.

I don't care if a guy is a nurse, but I'd rather have a woman as my nurse.
  43. MedPR

MedPR

Pre-Podiatry
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  44. nikok

nikok

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Same here, think I woke everyone in the house, rofl!
  45. calvnandhobbs68

calvnandhobbs68 I KNOW NOTHING

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Your degree takes four years because you have to take a bunch of stupid college classes that have nothing to do with your future profession...just like the rest of us did.

I was hoping you'd look like this though

[​IMG]
  46. Aaron151

Aaron151

Pre-Medical
  47. Aaron151

Aaron151

Pre-Medical
  48. DeterminedDoc

DeterminedDoc

because there are way more nurses than there are doctors. it still means that doctors have a higher inherent value than nurses.

It depends on who you are and if you like getting told what to do all day long. I personally don't.
  49. Aaron151

Aaron151

Pre-Medical
    Do you wish to be great? Then begin by being. Do you desire to construct a vast and lofty fabric? Think first about the foundations of humility. The higher your structure is to be, the deeper must be its foundation.
    Saint Augustine
  50. DeterminedDoc

DeterminedDoc

Whoa chill on the grass there buddy, smoking too much can be bad for you - I'm living proof. I didn't say I have no respect for nurses (i mean it would help for them to be hot lol), i just meant that doctors have a higher inherent value than nurses which isn't wrong for me to say. I mean at the end of the day I wouldn't want a job where I told what to do all day long, but thats just me. nurses are definitely needed in the healthcare system, doctors can't treat and do all the manual labor themselves - thats overkill.