Doctoral program admissions questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tai Thompson

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to this thread. I wasn't sure how to start my own, so I figured I reply to this one, hoping to recieve some helpful advice for applying to clinical psychology Ph.D programs. I am a senior psychology major and I have a few programs I am looking at applying to thus fall. I have a few questions that I would like some feedback on. My questions are:
1. Is it bad to have more research experience than clinical experience?
2. How much research experience do you need to have to be selected as a potential student?
3. Does being in honor socities and other extracurricular activities around campus matter to faculty members admitting students?

I'm a little nervous about the process and would really just like some answers Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Mod Note: Broke this out into its own thread.

You may want to try searching the forums as a start, as you'll likely be able to find the answers to your questions in prior threads (they're fairly common, as is being nervous, so they come up pretty frequently).

Quick answers:

1) It's the norm to have more research than clinical experience, and I'd venture to say that while most competitive applicants will probably have 1-2 years' worth of research experience, there are likely a good number that have little or no direct clinical experience

2) Mentioned this above, but most folks have in the 1-2 year range when it comes to RA experiences; if you can add in perhaps a couple posters, that can significantly help as well

3) Probably depends on the faculty; being in extracurriculars, and particularly in leadership roles, can speak to characteristics like drive, initiative, independence, and problem-solving ability, although by and large, they probably aren't quite as necessary and/or important as in med school applications

Thank you for the replies! They are very helpful, I have been reading through the forums as well getting some helpful information.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. No.
2. Technically 0, but usually at least a year.
3. Hmm, from my experience not really - but it doesn't hurt!

Thank you all for the feedback I really appreciate I have another question as well! I take my GRE in exactly a month and I've been having a little trouble studying for the quantitative portion of the test. Does anyone know of any useful sites that I can use to help? I am correctly registered on gre.magoosh.com and I have a Kaplan GRE book. I would like to have another source to refer to.

Thanks.