Documentation Supplements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMbeastmode

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a BCEM doc in the Midwest. Last year my group acquired the contract of a smaller ER in the area and I've started working 2-3 shifts a month there. Our home base has EPIC EMR as well as Dragon Dictation so I'm more than set when I'm at the main campus, however, at the smaller site we have CPSI and have no access to dictation software. I type like a monkey. I love the small town ER, but I absolutely despise documentation there.

I've been looking into a few options and was wondering if anyone has any ideas before I lose it.

Dragon Dictation Home Edition: It's only ~$100, but wondering if anyone has used it and how it is for medical jargon?
Notedoctors.com or medmacros.com: They are medical template sites, monthly fees. No one at my work has used them. Anyone have any experiece with them?
Personal scribe: Probably out of my budget, but would like to here if anyone uses them.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've used scribes out of my personal budget. It cost me about $10.50/hour. They're hit or miss, but if you can get a good one that will stick around for a while it can be quite helpful.

I've been using notedoctors lately and have never tried medmacros. Quite a few of the staff in my ER are on the site and our administration has purchased it for the entire staff. It really helps to cut down on some of the tedious documentation and I would estimate it saves me 10-30 min a shift depending on what rolls through the doors.

Back when I was intensively documenting with Epic, I wrote my own variety of macros – semi-personalized discharge instructions for common ambulatory issues, common MDM for high-risk/broad-differential complaints such as chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness", non-specific abdominal pain, etc. Might seem silly to re-invent the wheel vs. one of those sites with canned content, but, at least it'll reflect your personal thought processes and probably hold up better on audit.