Does a rejection to a dual degree mean no single degree either ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hello,

I am interested in applying to MD/MPH programs and am curious, if one doesn't get accepted to the dual degree, is there still a chance for them to get the single, MD, degree? I understand my question may differ on a school by school basis, but if there is a general theme, I would love to hear about it!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you're still considered for MD only. For most schools, if you apply to some specialized track (community health focus, MD-MS, MD-PhD), rejection to the special track does not preclude you from normal MD admissions, which are judged separately.

Often even if you indicate you are interested in a dual degree, you are still applying for an MD and schools just mote your interest and give you more info on the other degree if you interview.

Concerning an MPH specifically, if you get into the MD program, it is highly likely you'll be able to apply into most MPH programs once enrolled.Thus, given those two considerations, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The MD portion of dual degree is almost universally more difficult to get into. If you can manage to get into the MD program, you have a good shot at any dual degree you want. The only exceptions are extremely selective schools like Yale/Harvard Law, or HBS, Wharton, etc. Most people also don't apply for dual degrees when first applying for med school, but rather apply in the middle of med school and do it in between their 3rd and 4th years.