Does ADHD Dx interfere with practicing medicine in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wanderer HitchHiker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am asking this question for a friend oversees!

He has Dx of ADHD since childhood and is on medication for it, this doesn't interfere with his license or practice in his home country. Currently, he is relocating to the US and wanted to know if his diagnosis would be considered as a disability or will influence his medical career here in US by any means?

Thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

Not an expert on this topic but my first thought would be 'only if it significantly interferes with his functioning to the point where he can't practice competently/safely.' Which is how it should be.

Reactions: 2 users
So, is he obliged to reveal his Dx when applying to residency and fellowship?
He's not disabled by his diagnosis, but to document that will he need a report from his psychiatrist to gain license or what?

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on your username I assume this friend is in fact Lange Frans.

In seriousness though, we can't give you a blanket answer because licensing is done on a state by state basis. In most states probably not necessary but in some states the letter of the law would say yes. He will have to investigate the reporting requirements in each state.

In general if he thinks he is going to require an accommodation of any kind he will need to disclose in advance. If his work performance suffers due to ADHD and he never told anyone about this diagnosis, they can still fire him for that poor performance, even if he brings it up after the fact.

Reactions: 1 users
Aside from Lange Frans joke which I didn't get completely, this was very helpful though :D Thank you!