Does anybody have examples of SPLIT Brain problems/issues?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Radioactive1112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seem to get split brain problems wrong.

So left field vision is processed on the right hemisphere?
Right vision processed on the left hemisphere?

Left brain controls right motor
Right brain controls left motor
Speech center for most is on the left.

IF I'm shown an object on my left visual field I cant process it because my corpus c is split and it needs to travel to my right hemisphere?

If I'm shown a picture of a name on my right visual field I can't process it because it 1) has to travel to my left
hemisphere and it cant 2) my speech control center is on my left so while I can see it I cant say what it is?

I hope someone can help me identify if these examples are correct. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Visual information crosses over at the optic chiasm so you should still be able to "see" something if the corpus callosum is cut. However, since the major speech areas - Broca's area and Wernicke's area - are usually in the left hemisphere, you would have trouble naming objects in the left visual field (whose visual properties crossed over at the optic chiasm but cannot be integrated with right visual field inputs in the left hemisphere).

I think you're having trouble with envisioning this. Draw a diagram. Something in your right visual field is represented in the left hemisphere because of crossing over. Since it's on the left side along with your speech areas, you shouldn't have trouble naming something in your right visual field.

Visual information crosses over at the optic chiasm so you should still be able to "see" something if the corpus callosum is cut. However, since the major speech areas - Broca's area and Wernicke's area - are usually in the left hemisphere, you would have trouble naming objects in the left visual field (whose visual properties crossed over at the optic chiasm but cannot be integrated with right visual field inputs in the left hemisphere).

I think you're having trouble with envisioning this. Draw a diagram. Something in your right visual field is represented in the left hemisphere because of crossing over. Since it's on the left side along with your speech areas, you shouldn't have trouble naming something in your right visual field.
Hmm yes still a little confused. So what you're saying is that with the corpus callosum cut the optic chiasm is not affected? Ex. opposite of your example something in my left visual field cross to the right hemisphere so I can see it because visual centers are on the right but I cant name it because speech is on the left.

Yes, the corpus callosum is distinct from the optic chiasm. Otherwise, any split brain procedure (i.e. to cure epilepsy) would screw with a patient's vision. If your optic chiasm is cut, the nerves that cross over would essentially be lost and you would lose entire parts of your vision (there are fibers that don't cross over and these would be intact). You'd have major vision problems.

Yes, you are correct - if the corpus callosum is cut, something in your left visual field that is represented in your right hemisphere will be seen but you will have difficulty naming it because your speech center is on the left.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aaaah duh that makes sense I guess once you mentioned still being able to see I realized cutting the corpus callosum wont change vision. Ok. I think I have it now. If you have a moment can I check one more example.... so in your example "Something in your right visual field is represented in the left hemisphere because of crossing over. Since it's on the left side along with your speech areas, you shouldn't have trouble naming something in your right visual field." Yes, I can name it because the speech center is in the left and I can see it? (my visual center is in my right hemisphere though)

In a diagram you have left/right fields in both eyes? So the right of both eyes goes to the left and the left of both eyes goes to the right?

Wait wait, I got it.

Right visual field goes to the left via the optic chiasm which is separate from the corpus c. If the corpus is connected the nasal side vision goes through the optic chiasm and back over the left hemisphere to process for language (so you can name the object). Temporal right vision just goes left.

If its disconnected, you can still "see" the object from the right visual field but you cannot name because you can't transmit the info to the left hemisphere. Therefore, you can't technically see it.

Left visual field goes to the left via the optic chiasm which is separate from the corpus c. If the corpus is connected the temporal left vision goes through the optic chiasm to the right hemisphere for visual processing and if it needs to be named then it goes to the left hemisphere.

I'm not exactly sure what you're calling the temporal vision here, but if you just google a diagram of crossing over, it should be pretty clear. Basically if you have something in your left visual field, it'll hit the lateral part of the right retina and the medial part of the left retina. The lateral part of the right retina crosses over at the optic chiasm but the medial part of the left does not. So in the end, you have the whole left visual field on the left hemisphere. And then you can name it because it's right there and so are the speech centers in most people. The converse also holds true, for the right side.

If its disconnected, you can still "see" the object from the right visual field but you cannot name because you can't transmit the info to the left hemisphere. Therefore, you can't technically see it.

I'd be extremely careful with language here. You can definitely see it. People with a cut corpus callosum can definitely still describe the object and draw it, but they just can't seem to name it. They can even describe it using words - which shows that they can see it. It's kind of like if you see a phone, you can describe what it looks like and what it does, but you just can't put a finger on the name "phone."

Reactions: 1 user