Does anyone else battle with low self esteem, especially while asking for letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Violet2020

USA San Marcos SPT
Reaction score
Was anyone else nervous when asking for letters of recommendation? I have shadowed four different clinics and only felt a good connection with one of the several PTs. So far I have asked three out of four people for letters of LORs but only the 1st proposal came with ease (my professor) and the 2nd PT, the one I worked 1000 hours under was alright.

I am about to ask for one from an acute PT and feel extremely nervous, even with 100 observation hours under my belt I somehow don't feel like I did well enough around them. Being in an acute setting, all I was allowed to do was watch and socialize with the patients anyways-- I wasn't even allowed to touch them or discuss their medical history due to HIPPA. I am just baffled at what they could possibly write about as I was a volunteer who basically just cleaned equipment and they don't know me deeper than from just the surface.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom or can relate it would put my anxiety at ease it would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey you're not alone! I totally went through this while asking for my LORs and I think it's normal. What helped me feel better about asking is that every PT that you know had to ask for LORs to get into school too. Also put yourself in the perspective of the PT. If in the future as a PT, an intern asked you to write an LOR, would you hesitate to help them?

Even if you are not directly interacting with patients, the PTs you've worked with can still judge your character based on the initiative you take while cleaning and how many/what type of questions you ask. However, if you don't feel comfortable asking that acute care PT, I would recommend you ask a different PT that you think knows you the best and will ultimately write the strongest letter.

Hey you're not alone! I totally went through this while asking for my LORs and I think it's normal. What helped me feel better about asking is that every PT that you know had to ask for LORs to get into school too. Also put yourself in the perspective of the PT. If in the future as a PT, an intern asked you to write an LOR, would you hesitate to help them?

Even if you are not directly interacting with patients, the PTs you've worked with can still judge your character based on the initiative you take while cleaning and how many/what type of questions you ask. However, if you don't feel comfortable asking that acute care PT, I would recommend you ask a different PT that you think knows you the best and will ultimately write the strongest letter.
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, there are others out there however the ones I feel closest to are either PTAs, Aide's or Per Diem (felt a connection, but ultimately didn't work together very often).

I also have thought about the "composite" option but am not 100% sure what that entails.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don/t worry about asking for LOR! Most of us did nothing during observation hours (unless someone worked as a aide which is NOT a requirement for any PT school) which means that schools know that you did not treat anyone and it would be illegal if you had. PTs who you are asking for LOR have also been in your shoes and know how it works. They can write about your passion about PT, being punctual, reliable, polite with patients, respectful to your co-workers/team/stuff, followed all the rules... stuff like that.

Was anyone else nervous when asking for letters of recommendation? I have shadowed four different clinics and only felt a good connection with one of the several PTs. So far I have asked three out of four people for letters of LORs but only the 1st proposal came with ease (my professor) and the 2nd PT, the one I worked 1000 hours under was alright.

I am about to ask for one from an acute PT and feel extremely nervous, even with 100 observation hours under my belt I somehow don't feel like I did well enough around them. Being in an acute setting, all I was allowed to do was watch and socialize with the patients anyways-- I wasn't even allowed to touch them or discuss their medical history due to HIPPA. I am just baffled at what they could possibly write about as I was a volunteer who basically just cleaned equipment and they don't know me deeper than from just the surface.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom or can relate it would put my anxiety at ease it would be much appreciated.

As a current PT and recent new grad (Semi, class of 2017), I say you need to just go for it. The biggest thing with observation is showing interest in what they're doing--- and that's really all you can do. You can ask questions when the therapists have free time, and just try to learn about them. A big plus is if you learn about their experience and how they got there, because it shows that you will probably value their input. I wouldn't feel too nervous because it's either they will say yes or that they don't feel completely comfortable. Start your question by including how enriching or beneficial it was watching the therapist and how you learned so much. Observation is never fun....a lot with the application process was spicing things up. It's the truth, but you gotta do it! If you did what you needed to do, showed interest, and was personable, that's all you need to get a recommendation. Good luck!! And don't worry!!