Does anyone else find Berkeley Review NOT helpful?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xbowers003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bought all the Berkeley review books (with the exception of verbal and bio). I've been studying for ~1 week now and I honestly feel like I've learned little to nothing. At that, I feel demoralized by the amount of content and problems within the sections. I find that they really don't explain things well, often just assuming that you understand important concepts. And this is intense studying, taking notes, working through the problems, looking at the feedback, etc.

Does anyone else think the same? I found such good reviews on here on about BR...but I honestly disagree. I think I'm going to order the EK study set and do the at home study schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I bought all the Berkeley review books (with the exception of verbal and bio). I've been studying for ~1 week now and I honestly feel like I've learned little to nothing. At that, I feel demoralized by the amount of content and problems within the sections. I find that they really don't explain things well, often just assuming that you understand important concepts. And this is intense studying, taking notes, working through the problems, looking at the feedback, etc.

Does anyone else think the same? I found such good reviews on here on about BR...but I honestly disagree. I think I'm going to order the EK study set and do the at home study schedule.

I felt the same way in the beginning, but the berkeley review inorganic chemistry and physics sections are really good. Study some more with some other materials and then come back to the berkeley review, read their sections, and do the problems and you will be much better prepared. They're tricky for the PS, but they're the kind of annoying and tricky that will really help you in the PS. One note though, the electrochemistry section is horrific in the tbr so stay clear of that and supplement with another source.

As for the other sections:
verbal: keep in mind most books and test resources aside from the aamcs have really crummy verbal sections that aren't representative of the real mcat in terms of logic or content. AAMC FL VR is your bible.
Organic: use any other book and use your lecture notes. the o-chem on the mcat is really easy aside from the lab tests where you basically just have to know one case of TLC, distillation, extraction etc to understand them.
Bio: Use princeton review hyperlearning bio. TBR bio is pretty terrible. It's like random fact knowledge that you won't be held accountable for. The questions are just ridiculously hard and won't help you much.

Last edited:
I think this belongs in the MCAT section.

Besides that, it's important to understand what The Berkeley Review (TBR) is and isn't. The Berkeley Review is an advanced self-study course for MCAT prep. If you want a basic concise review, you are better off with Chad Videos and Examkrackers.

The Berkeley Review is intended to challenge the well-prepared. If you have a 30 on practice tests, and want closer to or better than a 40, you reach for TBR. If you just want a normal score and quick review, you get Examkrackers or The Princeton Review or another source.

Members don't see this ad :)

The Berkeley Review is intended to challenge the well-prepared. If you have a 30 on practice tests, and want closer to or better than a 40, you reach for TBR. If you just want a normal score and quick review, you get Examkrackers or The Princeton Review or another source.

I dont think this is true. The first time I took the MCAT I used TBR and got a 31. This time around I've only been using Examkrackers and my last 2 AAMC FL scores have been a 36 and a 38.

TBR Bio and orgo are absolutely useless. Physics and gen chem are decent but I find the main problem with TBR is that it overwhelms you with very low yield information and takes time away from practicing which is where you'll see the biggest improvement in your scores.

It seems like most people hate on TBR Bio and Organic pretty hard because those books are so particular. Sure, study smart not hard. But why not try and commit all/most of the "extraneous" information to memory? Setting yourself apart from the average, score-wise, might be knowing some of that information that most test-takers don't account for.

IMO TBR is way too detailed. They might be useful if you need a comprehensive book, but if you just need to brush up on concepts I would not recommend them. When it comes down to it, you don't really need to know a lot of details for the MCAT, the passages give you most of the needed info, so such a detailed book is unnecessary.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with medicalhope: they are great reference materials, but we have the internet for that. For efficient studying, I would avoid like the plague.

If you want clarification on a topic, or deeper understanding, there are better and better-written resources.

I dont think this is true. The first time I took the MCAT I used TBR and got a 31. This time around I've only been using Examkrackers and my last 2 AAMC FL scores have been a 36 and a 38.

TBR Bio and orgo are absolutely useless. Physics and gen chem are decent but I find the main problem with TBR is that it overwhelms you with very low yield information and takes time away from practicing which is where you'll see the biggest improvement in your scores.

This made me very happy to read- I have all the various course materials and TBR just felt so dense and unnecessary- like I was wasting time on extraneous details, so I've been focusing on TPR and Examkrackers mainly now and hoping for the best. I generally like examkrackers since it seems to get to the point the best, but sometimes I need clarification and use TPR for that. I think its working out well but only time will tell. :xf::xf:

This made me very happy to read- I have all the various course materials and TBR just felt so dense and unnecessary- like I was wasting time on extraneous details, so I've been focusing on TPR and Examkrackers mainly now and hoping for the best. I generally like examkrackers since it seems to get to the point the best, but sometimes I need clarification and use TPR for that. I think its working out well but only time will tell. :xf::xf:
So are you using TPRH Science Workbook for passages? I'm glad I read this because I'm about to start studying and I'm deciding whether to use EK or BR(because of all the glowing reviews) but I also dislike excessive detail and like the big picture stuff more.

It seems like most people hate on TBR Bio and Organic pretty hard because those books are so particular. Sure, study smart not hard. But why not try and commit all/most of the "extraneous" information to memory? Setting yourself apart from the average, score-wise, might be knowing some of that information that most test-takers don't account for.

you have a good point with bio as if you don't memorize a ton often times you will be screwed over for not memorizing small little details instead of focusing on the general picture. that's the nature of bio on the mcat (it's really silly), but o-chem is like 20% of the test and most of it is really basic knowledge.

So are you using TPRH Science Workbook for passages? I'm glad I read this because I'm about to start studying and I'm deciding whether to use EK or BR(because of all the glowing reviews) but I also dislike excessive detail and like the big picture stuff more.

If this is the case, I would recommend EK. While everyone is different, I tried almost exclusively BR and it is so bogged down with details that I, as I said in my original post, don't really feel like I've learned much of anything. Now, I have the EK Bio book, and I think thats fantastic because it gives a better whole picture without pinning you down with a ton of details. Just my opinion though! Im going to switch to EK.

The utility of TBR is entirely dependent on your background knowledge of the sciences. I used TBR nearly exclusively (yes, for orgo and bio as well) because it filled in a lot of the conceptual gaps left by the fact that I graduated as a film major....5 years ago..... It wasn't until I started leaning on the TBR practice questions that I turned PS from my worst section, into my best (average of 12-13). Some people require painful detail. If you don't, then don't reach for TBR.

Of course, I get my MCAT score back tomorrow. So, we'll see....

Members don't see this ad :)
The utility of TBR is entirely dependent on your background knowledge of the sciences. I used TBR nearly exclusively (yes, for orgo and bio as well) because it filled in a lot of the conceptual gaps left by the fact that I graduated as a film major....5 years ago..... It wasn't until I started leaning on the TBR practice questions that I turned PS from my worst section, into my best (average of 12-13). Some people require painful detail. If you don't, then don't reach for TBR.

Of course, I get my MCAT score back tomorrow. So, we'll see....

Good luck!!!! :)

Yep!

This thread has relieved a lot of anxiety for me.

I've put my TBR verbal, bio and organic chemistry books in the darkest corner of my closet.

Although my science background is old and weak, I have learned more fundamentals from TPRH.
I can feel more progress with their books and that keeps morale up.

TBR is definitely for people who did well on the sciences and find TPRH too easy.
It's also for people who don't get demoralized with 30-60% correct on passages for weeks on end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So far, TBR is great. One word of advice however, DO NOT read the TBR biochem section. It will suck your soul.

Besides that, it's important to understand what The Berkeley Review (TBR) is and isn't. The Berkeley Review is an advanced self-study course for MCAT prep. If you want a basic concise review, you are better off with Chad Videos and Examkrackers.

This. TBR shouldn't be used as a general resource for all test takers. It requires a good background in the topics and is best for those with aspirations for 32+ scores, IMO.

TPRH is much better for a general content review resource. I think every study plan should use TPRH and then supplement it with TBR if you hit one of the criteria above.

Or maybe that's just a fault in how you used the resource?

People (not you) treat content review as the most important part of a study plan. It's far from it. Aside from the super-detailed TBR Bio, pretty much all the content review books are the same. EK is a little lighter. The biggest difference between resources are the practice passages. TPRH is great at simulating average MCAT level difficulty. EK is good as well but very limited as there's not much there. TBR is harder than the average MCAT question which allows you to develop a strength in a topic or prepare for the hardest MCAT questions - i.e. if you are shooting for a top score.

IMO,
TPRH = eliminate weaknesses, get comfortable with MCAT style questions... bring up your 'lowest possible' score
TBR = develop strengths... bring up your 'highest possible' score

If I would choose one, I'd go TPRH but TBR has its uses as well and is phenomenal when used right. I only don't recommend EK because it has limited practice questions... but its content review is great for someone who only needs a quick refresher or is short on time. I would do EK content review + TPRH questions and feel confident with it.

Of course, everyone has different learning styles so above all, its important to just find a resource you are comfortable with and stick with it. While there are big differences between practice passages, its not enough to worry about in your precious studying time. Just make sure you are doing practice passages.

This. TBR shouldn't be used as a general resource for all test takers. It requires a good background in the topics and is best for those with aspirations for 32+ scores, IMO.

TPRH is much better for a general content review resource. I think every study plan should use TPRH and then supplement it with TBR if you hit one of the criteria above.

So are you saying that EK/TPR may not be in-depth enough to score above a 32? As long as you understand everything the AAMC wants you to and do enough passages/practice exams, why wouldn't that be enough? What does BR offer that other review books don't? I mean doing harder questions that require information not covered on the MCAT may make the actual test seem easier but I don't know how that helps you in any other way

So are you saying that EK/TPR may not be in-depth enough to score above a 32? As long as you understand everything the AAMC wants you to and do enough passages/practice exams, why wouldn't that be enough? What does BR offer that other review books don't? I mean doing harder questions that require information not covered on the MCAT may make the actual test seem easier but I don't know how that helps you in any other way

No, I would never say that because that'd be false. Certainly students have used those resources and done exceptionally well. I said that if my goal was a 32+, I would use TBR as I believe it is a better resource for those goals.

TBR doesn't include information that is not covered on the MCAT. They go too far in-depth with some details in the content review parts but those details CAN be tested and exactly in the way TBR tests them.. by introducing them in a passage and expecting you to be able to work with them.

IMO, content only gets you so far. You need good critical thinking and test taking skills to get scores above that point (IMO a 10 for content alone) and you get this from practice passages. How in-depth content review is doesn't matter (thought it can hurt, I agree), it's all about the practice passages.

TBR is better at pushing you to develop those skills with their passages because you can't just get by on content (like the harder passages on test day). You still develop those skills with other resources but I feel that TBR is better in this regard. Like I said, TPRH would be my primary resource regardless of background/goals.. supplemented with EK or TBR depending on your background, time and goals.

No, I would never say that because that'd be false. Certainly students have used those resources and done exceptionally well. I said that if my goal was a 32+, I would use TBR as I believe it is a better resource for those goals.

TBR doesn't include information that is not covered on the MCAT. They go too far in-depth with some details in the content review parts but those details CAN be tested and exactly in the way TBR tests them.. by introducing them in a passage and expecting you to be able to work with them.

IMO, content only gets you so far. You need good critical thinking and test taking skills to get scores above that point (IMO a 10 for content alone) and you get this from practice passages. How in-depth content review is doesn't matter (thought it can hurt, I agree), it's all about the practice passages.

TBR is better at pushing you to develop those skills with their passages because you can't just get by on content (like the harder passages on test day). You still develop those skills with other resources but I feel that TBR is better in this regard. Like I said, TPRH would be my primary resource regardless of background/goals.. supplemented with EK or TBR depending on your background, time and goals.

So I got around 6 months til my MCAT, but I will be working full time or taking a full load of courses during this period. Do you recommend I start with EK + TPRH and then TBR and finally finish off with AAMC Practice Exams? Or should I start with BR? I'm worried I will forget everything I've studied this far ahead of my test date, but then again I don't want to feel rushed for time (as I can't devote a full three months like everyone else).

So I got around 6 months til my MCAT, but I will be working full time or taking a full load of courses during this period. Do you recommend I start with EK + TPRH and then TBR and finally finish off with AAMC Practice Exams? Or should I start with BR? I'm worried I will forget everything I've studied this far ahead of my test date, but then again I don't want to feel rushed for time (as I can't devote a full three months like everyone else).

I would probably take another month or two before I start getting into things.. 4 months should still be more than enough without studying full-time. Could start a few weeks earlier just so you have time. Most people don't do 3 months full-time, either.

I wouldn't go through one resource at a time though. Mix and match. Basically, I would just take a regular study schedule and elongate it rather than make one that specifically lasts as long as you need it too. I have more thoughts about picking resources and making a study plan in the link in my signature. Its under my first post in this thread. Rather than repeating the same advice over and over, I posted it there so people can give it a read! Feel free to PM me with follow-ups.

This thread has relieved a lot of anxiety for me.

I've put my TBR verbal, bio and organic chemistry books in the darkest corner of my closet.

Although my science background is old and weak, I have learned more fundamentals from TPRH.
I can feel more progress with their books and that keeps morale up.

TBR is definitely for people who did well on the sciences and find TPRH too easy.
It's also for people who don't get demoralized with 30-60% correct on passages for weeks on end.

Are you selling them???????

The BR series, while they're great books, I feel are not conducive for the typical MCAT test taker who is attempting to prepare for this exam in 3 months and needs sufficient time to practice passages and questions. For many of us, we need to learn the content as soon as possible to begin learning the style of testing as well as improve our test taking skills. Unfortunately, for so many people, the amount of material TBR is daunting and slows many people down. When I first prepared for my MCAT in 2011, I rescheduled 3 times just to keep up with the pace of studying and still did not perform as well as I wanted. Unfortunately, many people fall into the same trap. There are additional negative consequences as well. If you draw your studying out too long, you begin forgetting essential concepts you learned initially. This for me, was my biggest obstacle. I spent way too much time emphasizing perfection in terms of content and less time practicing.

As many people have said here, you can know very little information content wise and still score the national average or higher simply because the test is not focused on content. This might intimidate some people, but it's true. The test often presents information and expect the test taker to extrapolate information from the passage and draw conclusions. In that sense, no amount of content preparation will help you unless you spend time practicing. With the way the books are structured, BR emphasizes content preparation over practice, which is why there are some individuals like myself who have not performed on par with some other test takers on here. It has nothing to do with your capacity or intellectual ability. I believe everyone on here is fully capable of scoring well into the 30s, but it all depends on your approach to studying.

In terms of their passages, while they are challenging and stimulate you to think, I don't think they are representative of the MCAT based on my own personal experience. TPRH science workbook is more representative and what I have chose to focus on using. However, because I do have TBR books, I do intend on using their passages for additional practice if time permits. Others, like Jepstein30 have been succesful with a similar approach to this.

I believe if TBR simplified their books while maintaining the same tips and strategies they generally include in their books as an alternative study tool, only then would I really encourage everyone to use it.

Reactions: 1 users
hey all,

Been a lurker on the forums for a while and had to add my 2 cents here. I think TBR is very useful for the time crunched people if you use the books in a certain way. Meaning, if you're worried about cramming every bit of minutae in their books into your brain you will have a tough time. Sure, knowing all the material they present would be useful, but from my perspective the best way to study from their books (if you're pressed for time) is to do their in chapter questions, learn their approximation techniques and develop your skill for process of elimination. There are definitely things that are beyond the mcat, but it seems (from reading other posts) that the mcat itself is going above and beyond, forcing you to use reasoning from the passage, approximating values and eliminating answers.

Also, although they are TOUGH, don't you want passages that push you beyond what you might be able to handle? I don't know, just my thoughts! Not trying to be a shill, I just liked how they forced me to reason through a new conceptual passage because that's what the MCAT seems to be now, difficult conceptual passages with questions pertaining to what was presented!

""""""With the way the books are structured, BR emphasizes content preparation over practice, which is why there are some individuals like myself who have not performed on par with some other test takers on here.
In terms of their passages, while they are challenging and stimulate you to think, I don't think they are representative of the MCAT based on my own personal experience. TPRH science workbook is more representative and what I have chose to focus on using."""""

What are people's opinions on TPRSW being better than TBR passages??

@csx

In terms of difficulty and being realistic, TPR is much much better.

In terms of actually improving my science abilities, TBR is much better. TBR passages are not designed for score assessment. They are learning tools.

TBR all the way. It is miles better than examkrackers. Don't get discouraged by the difficulty. You will survive.
What about vs TPR SW?

If doing TBR and doing so-so, are you guys saying I'll sorta magically (for the lack of a better word) do better on the AAMC passages?

What about vs TPR SW?

If doing TBR and doing so-so, are you guys saying I'll sorta magically (for the lack of a better word) do better on the AAMC passages?

I've been doing more TBR bio physiology passages and I'm happy with it. Some questions are ridiculous but it's great practice. The ochem TBR IMO is on the easy side. Physics TBR is solid, I would say the closest to AAMC. The gen chem TBR I'm still getting the hang of.

I somewhat agree that TBR isn't as helpful as everyone on this forums says it is. I think it's pretty exaggerated in comparison to other materials out there. It isn't the best at explaining concepts, and at times, makes it even more convoluted than it needs to be. There are so many unnecessary details that they emphasize. However, I did read all of organic chemistry, physics, and general chemistry in TBR and took extensive notes on the chapters, which of course took A LOT of time. I did not do any of the practice passages because they are absolutely ridiculous in my opinion. I am able to get 12-13 scores on PS for the full length AAMC. So it does have its merits, but it requires a lot of work in deciphering out the material. There is probably better material out there that can do the same job, but with less annoyance.

For me, TBR physics and the orgo passages were fine, but the Chem passages were brutal for me.
I started off my studying following the SN2ed schedule and ditched it because it just took way too long and i'm probably not disciplined enough. I'm writing my MCAT on Nov.7th and my plan is to finish the TPR SWB book + Kaplan Qbank/Section and subject tests. I'm hoping that'd be sufficient to get the score i want.
I wouldn't dwell too much on "what material is the best" etc. I think you should just find one and master it. The key i think is practice. Without practice, nothing just seems to stick in my brain.
Then again, i haven't done my MCAT yet. For all i know, it'll mirror TBR and i'll be completely screwed :laugh:

I've been doing more TBR bio physiology passages and I'm happy with it. Some questions are ridiculous but it's great practice. The ochem TBR IMO is on the easy side. Physics TBR is solid, I would say the closest to AAMC. The gen chem TBR I'm still getting the hang of.
what would you recommend instead?

What about vs TPR SW?

Actually, let me go back and say do Examkrackers for bio and verbal. TBR bio is way too detailed. Examkrackers verbal will literally save you. However TBR everything else. TBR will make everything make sense. I never did TPR. But I definitely did much better on passages once I switched from EK to TBR. I only ever did Kaplans online free test (26) when I did EK, I only did AAMC's when I did TBR and my average was 34.83 (lowest 32 and highest 39) for those.

Actually, let me go back and say do Examkrackers for bio and verbal. TBR bio is way too detailed. Examkrackers verbal will literally save you. However TBR everything else. TBR will make everything make sense. I never did TPR. But I definitely did much better on passages once I switched from EK to TBR. I only ever did Kaplans online free test (26) when I did EK, I only did AAMC's when I did TBR and my average was 34.83 (lowest 32 and highest 39) for those.
I do well on EK verbal, tried TPRH verbal and I got spanked. i dont get it...lol

What about vs TPR SW?

Absolutely. Not even joking, AAMC is a walk in the park after doing a ton of TBR questions.

I was using TBR for orgo, and I was doing horrendous. Then I read examkrackers and went back and integrated with TBR and I did much better. I was getting 1 out of all orgo questions right, now I am missing a few but due to changing the correct answer to the wrong one. I found that to be helpful.

I haven't found anything that has really made me grasp momentum and torque yet though.

I haven't found anything that has really made me grasp momentum and torque yet though.

I thought TBR did a much better job of explaining momentum and torque. Both of those revolve heavily around conservation of energy and conservation of momentum. I would say for momentum first try and memorize the situations and criteria (elastic / inelastic) where both are applied, and one is applied and one is not helps a lot (A-->B / A--> A+B / A--> -A + B / 0 --> A+B / A+B --> 0 ). For torque, think of seesaws and opening doors (when is it easier to life / push). Then look at both mathematically / think of balancing equations. I think a good concept of Work and Energy is also required for both. Also thinking of extreme cases like explosions and what that means for net momentum are great ways to help understand it.

I also had 14 in PS and I think it was because of BR. You have to take BR the right way.. I also got frustrated with the passages.. often only got 60% correct, especially at the beginning.

But they really help you think critically and solve problems. They're weird and flakey, unreliable -- so is the MCAT. But, in the end, BR can often be harder. Use it for training, but also supplement something more concise like EK and don't lose your sanity.

Absolutely. Not even joking, AAMC is a walk in the park after doing a ton of TBR questions.

This.

At the very least, you won't panic when a "harder" AAMC passage comes up. In the back of your mind you'll know that you did tons of worse passages in TBR and still managed to pull through.