Does anyone else hate working in the ER?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IonClaws

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
When I was an M1, I thought I wanted to do EM. I was even an officer in our student EM club and did EMS related research between m1 and m2 year. I did EM shadowing and thought it was the bees knees.

Then I did an IM rotation and realized I actually liked finding out what happened to my patients. And that everyone ****s on EM. And I did an EM rotation and realized I really don't want to put up with it.

So no, I don't like working in the ED. Thus I simply don't work in the ED. Someone has to do it though, I'm just grateful it's not me.

Reactions: 2 users
Could be the program I am in but I felt on multiple rotations in ER your time was more respected more than in IM. When your shift ended, it was over, you go home. Whereas on IM, I can stay really late based on a whole bunch of factors that could prolongate sign out.

Loved EM as a med student, but disliked after working there as a resident for number of reasons. People who are doing it seem to like it but glad it wasn't my calling after all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As a rule, the only docs who like being in the ED are EM docs. The rest of us chose other careers for a reason.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they like it. We need people to do it that like it. People that aren’t me.

Reactions: 5 users
As a rule, the only docs who like being in the ED are EM docs. The rest of us chose other careers for a reason.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they like it. We need people to do it that like it. People that aren’t me.
I wouldn't call that a rule. When I was a resident, there were a few (literally, 2 or 3) IM residents that outright said that they liked it. One even was in every trauma (and didn't screw it up). She's heme/onc now. (And I was at Duke, so you know IM and surgery there, either by rep or experience.) So, highly likely, but not a rule.

Reactions: 1 user
When entering med school, I planned to do EM, but ended up doing IM for several reasons. That said, if I wasn't doing IM, I'd probably be doing EM. During clinicals, I couldn't wait to get OUT of the OR, so there goes all surgery specialties. I find sick children depressing and child well being check ups boring, so there goes peds. All rashes look the same to me. Radiology is a bit to solitary for me, but idk, maybe there would be parts I would like.

I think many/most docs would say there are many other fields of medicine they would never go into, but are happy about those that go into those fields that way they are available if needed.

I wouldn't call that a rule. When I was a resident, there were a few (literally, 2 or 3) IM residents that outright said that they liked it. One even was in every trauma (and didn't screw it up). She's heme/onc now. (And I was at Duke, so you know IM and surgery there, either by rep or experience.) So, highly likely, but not a rule.

Most people like the excitement of ED and ICU. I feel live most IM residents want to do critical care at some point. . . . .before they realize they like their sleep, or that procedures are just more stuff to do.

Reactions: 2 users
The ED to me just felt like an endless clinic.

Reactions: 1 users
I had a bunch of audition rotations set up for adult EM and changed to peds last minute and I regularly think about how lucky I am I didn’t end up in adult EM. And I am starting a fellowship in peds EM this summer. Different jobs and I am thankful for that.

It's a grind sometimes for sure.
That said, you gotta find your 80 percent. Wish I could recall the source, but it's one of my fav quotes - 10 percent of what you do is amazing and will remind you why you love it. 10 percent is terrible and makes you wuestio everything. 80 percent is the day in day out grind. Gotta find the 80 percent that engages you, you enjoy, you find fits you. Same in every job. For some ... It's the ED. Others the OR. Others the clinic.
Find that 80 percent.

Reactions: 10 users