Other OT-Related Information Does anyone have a sample letter of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syrup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Occupational Therapist I am currently shadowing told me that she would do a letter of rec for me, but that I need to write the letter of rec myself and then she will make minor changes as seen fit. I was wondering if anyone had a letter of rec from an occupational therapist that I could use as a guide or a good sample letter? It would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

So weird, my letter of rec person said the same thing to me.. of course he's going to add his own input into it but I have no idea how to do this..

The OT who did my LOR wrote it herself but said to email her with anything I wanted her to include. SHe was awesome about it! No sample though, sorry!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of things did you include?

Basically just gave her more of a detailed background of myself that she might not have known from us talking. I discussed all these things with her while shadowing but I put it in writing and gave her more details about the shadowing/volunteering/activities I have done. I guess it gave her more of an insight on who I am. I wasn't really sure what to tell her to put in bc all this stuff is already on my app. When she told me to do this, I actually turned to other people for advice on what I should tell her. They said to tell her more about myself and provide her with a rough resume. So that's what I did.. then of course at the end I expressed my passion for OT and excitement to start school.

Since people are pretty busy, it is common for LOR writers to ask people to draft their letter and they add or subtract from it. This is pretty useful because it saves them time and YOU can control what is included in there. LORs are very important-- I have high stats and I believe I was rejected my first round because of a very poorly written letter from a supervisor I was close with. I found out the letter was poorly written because she said she would use the letter she wrote for me as a template for another employee she wanted to write an LOR for. The employee showed it to me in a panic because the letter was poorly written and vague even though we both had close relationships with her. The next year, I drafted my own LOR for another letter writer got into a bargain competitive MOT program. My LOR writer told me that she just made a few changes to wording and grammar, but the content stayed mostly the same.

If you or anyone else needs a copy of the letter draft as a guide, private message me for more information.