Does anyone know anything about Nova Southeastern CO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemgirlie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if anyone here goes to Nova. I haven't gotten to visit there yet, and I wanted to know if anyone goes there. Any info would be really appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

NOVA is located in Davie, FL in a BEAUTIFUL area of Ft. Lauderdale. The facilities/classrooms are nice, a large parking garage is right next to the school, and they have a geat library. The school itself is OK- I think it would be a great choice.

Please correct me if I?m wrong.
Two of the schools I?m considering applying to are SCO and Nova. But sometimes I get the feeling that if I go to SCO I?ll become a private practice kind of optometrist, and if I go to Nova, I?ll become a retail store kind of optometrist. Am I right or am I wrong?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jopt- I'm not sure why you think NOVA would only gear you to be a retail optometrist- they call the Optometry students there "Optometric Physicians" and they appeared to me to be pretty strong in their clinical education. The Opt students take many classes their 1st yr with dental, pharm, and DO students. They didn't appear to be quite as strong academically as some other programs, but I think they are fine.

Also, I wanted to add that retail optometrists are trained just the same and are just as good as any private practice optometrist- there are some poor retail and private practice docs, and some excellent retail and private practice docs. I don't think there is much difference betw the 2.

Regardless of which school you go to, all ODs have to pass the same NBEO board exams in order to practice. The pass rate for the boards varies from one school to another, so you can look at that as a measure of how "good" each school is, but at the end of the day the education you get is what you put into it. You're the one who has to pass the boards. Your patients don't care which school you graduated from after you have your degree. :)

r_salis said:
Regardless of which school you go to, all ODs have to pass the same NBEO board exams in order to practice. The pass rate for the boards varies from one school to another, so you can look at that as a measure of how "good" each school is, but at the end of the day the education you get is what you put into it. You're the one who has to pass the boards. Your patients don't care which school you graduated from after you have your degree. :)

rsalis... I never saw a comprehensive list of passing rate by school, any idea where I might find one.

thanks

hey JOpt I'm applying to Nova and SCO also!! I just went and visited SCO and their eye clinic is huge and extremely nice! Hopefully Nova is really nice as well!
I was also wondering how hard it is to get into Nova, and I can't find out how many students they accept each year. Is it 211 or 111? Does anyone know????

i don't think any school admits over 200... with the average at most schools around 100 I would guess that.

maxwellfish said:
rsalis... I never saw a comprehensive list of passing rate by school, any idea where I might find one.

thanks
I've never seen a pass rate comparison of all the schools on one list -- you can usually find it in each school's admissions information.

On another note -- I had no idea each Nova class had *over* 200 students! :eek:

WOW that is alot... guess who should scale back if it comes to it someday...

one reason i never applied there....way too many students :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
right now at undergrad college most of my classes has 500 + sudents..the small chasses have about 200 and the smallest..ehich are very rare in all classes except math have about 80.

basilisk312 said:
right now at undergrad college most of my classes has 500 + sudents..the small chasses have about 200 and the smallest..ehich are very rare in all classes except math have about 80.

that's undergrad.... grad school classes are SIGNIFICANTLY smaller. (especially when it's a small optometry college )

NOVA class size is NOT over 200- it is usually betw 100-110. The info you have must be mistaken. I

The site says they ADMIT 211- doesn't mean that 211 actually go there each yr. Many that get admitted probably end up attending somewhere else since NOVA is not perceived to be as good of a school as the older, more established ones.

~161 students entered PCO in '02, now we're down to ~137

christie said:
Does it bother you (or your classmates) when people drop out? We had 3 students drop out (some are planning to come back and start again in the fall), and I felt terrible about it...

chemgirlie said:
hey JOpt I'm applying to Nova and SCO also!! I just went and visited SCO and their eye clinic is huge and extremely nice! Hopefully Nova is really nice as well!
I was also wondering how hard it is to get into Nova, and I can't find out how many students they accept each year. Is it 211 or 111? Does anyone know????
I heard that the Nova campus is great, and it?s pretty new too. One of the reasons I want to go to Nova is because of its location. I think this is the best located opt school of them all.

Regarding how hard it is to get in, Nova is supposed to be one of the easiest ones to get in. (Btw, there?s a thread in the pre-dental forum called ?Nova 2008?. Read it and you?ll get some idea of what the school is like :) )

When you have 100 students in your class, do you have 100 people in all of your classes? (i.e. 100 people in anatomy, 100 in optics, etc). I have never been in a class larger than 50 students and my science classes are usually 10-20 people :cool:

It bothers me when friends drop out. I had a lab partner friend drop out for personal reasons ..... but after a year off he came back (and I was so happy to see him!)

Of course it makes me sad to see people fail or drop out... but it's their choice to leave if they're dropping out and if they realize they're not happy... there's not much I can do about it. Better that they leave and find something they love than graduate with an OD degree and become disgruntled ODs.

christie said:

wholy crap...is this common at other optometry schools?
I could never drop out (or have to try my hardest not to fail), because all of the money ill be borrowing.

J.opt said:
Regarding how hard it is to get in, Nova is supposed to be one of the easiest ones to get in. (Btw, there?s a thread in the pre-dental forum called ?Nova 2008?. Read it and you?ll get some idea of what the school is like :) )

Thanks for throwing our thread a bone!

TPMOH said:
NOVA class size is NOT over 200- it is usually betw 100-110. The info you have must be mistaken. I

And with that, they usually struggle to reach the class size they set every year.

J.opt said:

It may be easier, but it isint "easy" by any means. They do have standards you know!

J.opt said:
I have never been in a class larger than 50 students and my science classes are usually 10-20 people :cool:

I don't like small classes. I've always done better in classrooms where every single seat is taken! i dont know why......i get into this competative mode....
I think you'll enjoy having a big class wherever you end up. You'll make more friends that way too and sometimes in life its not what you know...its WHO you know that gives you an edge......
more students in a classroom = more networking
(and lets face it, making business is part of optometry)

South2006 said:
It may be easier, but it isint "easy" by any means. They do have standards you know!
Of course it?s hard; I?m just saying that the ratio of applicants/acceptances is greater at Nova than at other schools.

J.opt said:
Of course it?s hard; I?m just saying that the ratio of applicants/acceptances is greater at Nova than at other schools.

Oh ok, I just read it the wrong way then! Sorry!