Does anyone know how I could get a certification as a phlebotomist or EKG tech.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raihan Mirza

The Lone Rider
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my medical school application I want to put down some paramedical positons down. I think one of the best positions I could take is being a Phebotomist or an EKG technician. Does anyone know where I can get the training and preparation for the national certification exam? I live in New York and I have no idea where to go for the training, I did some research online with no success. Also is it possible to get certification for being both a Phebotomist and an EKG technician?

Members don't see this ad.

For phlebotemy check your local community college or nursing school, I know around here both offer programs of different degree levels in both areas.

Usually you can get training at a community college, but not all states require certification and many places will simply OJT you if they decide to hire you.

By the way the credentialing process is completely seperate if you do decide to go for the national certifications in phlebotomy and electrocardiography. The former is handled by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (I do believe) and the latter is offered by an organization called Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) and is called Certified Cardiographic Technician or something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
For my medical school application I want to put down some paramedical positons down. I think one of the best positions I could take is being a Phebotomist or an EKG technician. Does anyone know where I can get the training and preparation for the national certification exam? I live in New York and I have no idea where to go for the training, I did some research online with no success. Also is it possible to get certification for being both a Phebotomist and an EKG technician?

Don't bother trying to get certified in doing either. Back at the tender age of 19(26 now) I got a job in my hometown working in medical records for about a year and a half at a very well-known cardiology clinic. I transferred to another school but in my return home during summer and winter breaks, they allowed me to come back. Anyhow, while home during spring break of my first year at the new school, I inquired to my dept. boss about doing something more patient-oriented. She knew of my desire to learn and work ethic, so she walked me down to the head nuclear med tech down in the stress test lab. We talked, he was really open to having me down there and that was that. For the next 4 years I worked there during breaks and even some after graduating from college. It was all OJT. I worked as a CV tech taking patient histories, prepping the patients with the electrodes and also started IVs for the stress tests. I also worked with the patients during their stress tests(treadmill and pharmacological both) watching for signs/symptoms as well as looking at the monitor for changes. Also administered the radioactive 'juice,' as I explained it to patients, for the scans that the nuclear techs would do later. Once in a while we'd get someone coming in for a MuGA scan, testing for their ejection fraction. Some of those patients would be going through chemo, which are probably the hardest to do an IV on.The way our system was set up is that a different cardiologist would oversee the tests each day, so there was plenty of chances to learn from them as well as build relationships. From time to time, I would get to work downstairs in regular clinic, doing EKGs on patients coming in for OV and getting histories as well. The only thing they had me do relating to certification at all was to go across to the hospital for a day's class in learning about the EKG and recognizing arrythmias.

So, to sum up what I'm trying to tell you, get yourself in a clinic/hospital that has these opportunities. Not all are going to have the same opportunities as well as allow you to float around like I got to. Be genuine and hardworking in that first, less-fullfilling position and then after you have networked a little, keep your eyes and ears open for new opportunities. If you have no luck with getting employment in your desired setting, donate some of your leisure time to volunteering at one of those places. Getting your foot in the door is the hardest part. Beyond that, it's in your control.

Good luck to you:luck:

I agree with the guy above. Alot of the people I know that do phlabotomy and EKG tech got a job at the hospital first and then they are happy to train you to do these jobs. Many hospitals also give some money to go outside and train in any tech or medically related job you want if you want to learn something that they dont offer as entry level. Just find a few hospitals in your area, apply to as many tech or other jobs you can and get in the door.

:eek: I got an EKG Certification, forgot to mention it in my application. Oh..Well, I still got accepted. But as someone already said, you can check out the local community college for the classes.

Check with local hospitals for classes, too. I know of at least one locally to me that offers an EKG course that's a day or two long. A lot of hospitals also have phlebotomy courses. You just have to check around. They usually don't have all of that posted anywhere in plain site since it's geared more for their employees.

what?! they actually have certified EKG techs?! lol, what the heck do they teach. It's so simple.

I do both phleb and ekg's as an ED tech with no certs other than EMT.

what?! they actually have certified EKG techs?! lol, what the heck do they teach. It's so simple.

Same here. EKG's are very simply. Phleb is as well. Like everything else, it just takes time to perfect especially on "difficult" patients. The phlebotomy techs at our hospital somehow draw blood (when techs or nurses cannot after multiple pokes) from morbidly obese and no veins types of people. It amazes me, but they do it. lol.

It mainly has to do with recognizing rhythms and conduction abnormalities. But granted, it is exceedingly simple and you'd have to be a total ***** to fail the exam.

The phlebotomy techs at our hospital somehow draw blood (when techs or nurses cannot after multiple pokes) from morbidly obese and no veins types of people. It amazes me, but they do it. lol.

One of the things I love about being an RT is we get often called when the phlebs can't get blood. I take a great deal of pride in my phleb'ing skills (after all, I am the son of a lab tech :laugh: )

I learned how to draw blood and do EKGs via on the job training. I guess the requirements depends on where you will be working. All it takes is a doctor willing to have you in his/her office helping out. When my personal PCP found out that I was drawing blood at a clinic, he immediately wanted to hire me away to work at his clinic. He didn't ask for certifications or evidence of course training. Networking will open a lot of doors and it is less expensive. Good luck.