Does anyone use noise canceling headphones to study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. Beefy Lion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am one of those people that needs close to dead silence to study. I don't own a computer so I always study at the library where it is surprisingly loud. I typically use ear plugs but find them uncomfortable and always fall out.

Does anyone use noise canceling headphones to study? If so I would be interested to know if you think it's worth to purchase them and what kind you use

Members don't see this ad.

For your purposes, noise cancelling headphones like the ones you would find in some testing centers, as well as electronic ones that use white noise to counter external sound, would likely work. Which one you choose will depend on how much you're willing to spend.

Me, I use electronic ones (think Bose or Beats), and have the volume cranked high so that the white noise drowns out everything else.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I would just buy quality over the ear headphones and listen to either white noise or music. Bose and Beats are both good, but if you're on a budget I would recommend Audio Technica. I've bought two pairs from them in the last 4 years (they hold up really well). They aren't too costly and I literally can never hear anything if I'm listening to music or gaming.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Bose ones are good. The nice one's are really expensive but they are legit.

Personally I would just by quality over the ear headphones and listen to either white noise or music. Bose and Beats are both good, but if you're on a budget I would recommend Audio Technica. I've bought two pairs from them in the last 4 years (they hold up really well). They aren't too costly and I literally can never hear anything if I'm listening to music or gaming.

Audiophiles will agree that audio technica are great entry-level headphones. If you just want to muffle noise though, just buy some squishy earplugs from a gun store and some chainsaw ear protectors on top of that. The upside is that the combo would be only 15-20 bones. The downside is you will look like a goon and won't be able to hear the fire alarm.

Reactions: 1 users
Audiophiles will agree that audio technica are great entry-level headphones. If you just want to muffle noise though, just buy some squishy earplugs from a gun store and some chainsaw ear protectors on top of that. The upside is that the combo would be only 15-20 bones. The downside is you will look like a goon and won't be able to hear the fire alarm.
Hahha I have actually done this, very effective but you look like an absolute goon.

Personally I would just by quality over the ear headphones and listen to either white noise or music. Bose and Beats are both good, but if you're on a budget I would recommend Audio Technica. I've bought two pairs from them in the last 4 years (they hold up really well). They aren't too costly and I literally can never hear anything if I'm listening to music or gaming.
I will check these out. I hate listening to music but I'm not sure how I feel about white noise. Anyways, do they have a noise canceling function? I was looking at the Bose cq25 but $300 is a lot of coin

Yes I do while listening to Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone soundtrack for 1 hour and 30 minutes, it makes me focus so well. Gummies with the noise canceling is only $10 at Walmart and it works wonders.

Hahha I have actually done this, very effective but you look like an absolute goon.

I will check these out. I hate listening to music but I'm not sure how I feel about white noise. Anyways, do they have a noise canceling function? I was looking at the Bose cq25 but $300 is a lot of coin
They don't explicitly have "noise-cancelling." I used to have a roommate who played guitar and I would put in foam earplugs and then my headphones on top of that. Works very well and you can always add music or white noise if you want.
I always thought that the chainsaw earmuffs and the such were uncomfortable (although maybe I just used a cheap product) Headphones with the pads are pretty comfy.

I use ear plugs and noise cancelling headphones at the same time, and then play white noise through the headphones (here's the link to the white noise video: ) to drown out any noise that could be distracting. Works like a charm.

I've used Bose as well. Pricey, but they do the trick.

I used them for sometime. But then I have to say, living in a vacuum was bizarre. Its like I had to adjust the reality when I would take them off to go to the bathroom.
They were an amazing experience for about a month. Then I wanted back to my normal ones.
But that's just me. I spent 60 $ on them. Dont even remember the brand, not a lasting impression.

Also a couple of times things like an alarm to exit the building went off and I would just sit there super absorbed into what was going on in my book. I know this sounds paranoid, but with the numerous headline news regarding shoot ups in the library, I think I would like to notice when people are shrieking/screaming.

The only place I use noise-canceling now is the gym.

Personally I would just buy quality over the ear headphones and listen to either white noise or music. Bose and Beats are both good, but if you're on a budget I would recommend Audio Technica. I've bought two pairs from them in the last 4 years (they hold up really well). They aren't too costly and I literally can never hear anything if I'm listening to music or gaming.

Which Audio Technica ones specifically if you don't mind

Bose QC25's. Work like a charm at work, home, school, Starbucks, etc.
Best money I have probably invested in a "study tool." Nice for flights to interviews too ;)

Which Audio Technica ones specifically if you don't mind
My first pair was the ATH-M40x - now they make them with replaceable cords which is fantastic. If your cable gets beat up like mine did you can just buy a replacement cable instead. These are really superb for ~$140. They're marketed as professional studio headphones
The pair I have now are ATH-PRO500MK2RD which are marketed as DJ headphones and costed me about $180. I preferred the ATH-M40x as they were more comfortable to me but the DJs are nice too (and they're red ^^) I'm not really a wiz when it comes to headphones (I was just looking for something good under $200) but I do think these headphones are probably one of the best investments you can make if you can spare the money.

So OP said s/he needed dead silence to study, but so many of the suggestions are white noise or music. I can't do music or white noise. If anyone actually does know of a good complete noise-cancelling system please let me know too.

i cant do any work without my bose quitecomfort q15

I typically use ear plugs but find them uncomfortable and always fall out.

Then you are using the wrong size.

I tried about a dozen brands of earplugs before finding some that fit comfortably. (They are so nice I can wear them for 12+ hours in a row.)