About the ads

1. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Does being Egyptian Classify you as URM?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by mclinkin94, Apr 28, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnnydrama

johnnydrama I'm no Superman

SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    That's a good score for an ESL student. The verbal curve is very steep, so subtle things that only native speakers notice can have a serious impact.
  2. bad virus

bad virus

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    So here is the thing. Like everyone told you, if you list African American on your AMCAS and you're not black. You will look very foolish to the Admission Committee.

You did mention that you're family was very poor. If that is the case, you can tick the Socioeconomically disadvantaged background box on the AMCAS application. During our Adcom meetings, this did give students a boost on their application status as their achievements were seen in a different light.

So good luck with the app and don't do anything silly like ticking the African American box, just put other.
  3. serenade

serenade Medical Alchemist

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, many viruses especially retroviruses entered the cell and lost their virulence capacities and became alu elements/retrotransposons.
  4. mclinkin94

mclinkin94

Pre-Medical
    I decided that it is unethical (especially) for a future doctor to cheat the system and use semi-true URM status to help get into medical school. I do not deserve to be a doctor and I would not be able to live with myself if I did that. A doctor should be an ethical person. I thank everyone for their response, but I do feel that some answers in this thread were as a result of jealousy rather than truth. In reality, I can get away with such an act-because if I don't I think a couple lawsuits are at hand. People here are very sensitive to discrimination and I definitely could get away with it-but I refuse to become a doctor or even call myself worthy of a medical profession If I did such an act. An morally bankrupt physician is no good person.

I thank everyone and I ask that you answer questions without arrogance, jealousy or troll accusations. I am beyond tired of this troll status that people in SDN give people. STOP IT. You are the troll for saying this!
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  5. light warrior

light warrior

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OP is not an ESL student. He was born in the States so I'm assuming he received his education in English.
  6. mclinkin94

mclinkin94

Pre-Medical
    lesson learned today:

Don't do unethical things to get a job that requires ethics...
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  7. mclinkin94

mclinkin94

Pre-Medical
    I spoke Arabic for 8 years before I learned English. I was born here and moved back to Egypt then came back at second grade.
  8. serenade

serenade Medical Alchemist

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Seppuku is the answer to all your earthly problems.
  9. mclinkin94

mclinkin94

Pre-Medical
    whoa :eek:

I know that sounded bad, but I slept on the idea and I realized how unethical it is. Does anyone think it is ethical?
  10. johnnydrama

johnnydrama I'm no Superman

SDN 7+ Year Member
    To suggest someone self-disembowel?

No, I think the general consensus is that would be unethical.
  11. TheMightySmiter

TheMightySmiter

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Being a URM has nothing to do with ESL, so don't worry at all. Most URMs are American-born and grew up speaking English as their first language. Conversely, a lot of non-URMs grew up speaking another language (Arabic, Korean, Russian, etc.) and had to learn English in school. You don't need a URM status to explain your low verbal score. All you need to explain is that English was not your first language. In fact, it seems like you could definitely incorporate your struggles learning English in your personal statement if it had a big impact on your life.
  12. mclinkin94

mclinkin94

Pre-Medical
    haha:laugh:
    clever
  13. ligand

ligand

SDN 2+ Year Member
    URM classification is not about race. A Tuvaluan may be under-represented and a minority, but is not a URM. The idea's not to get the largest mix of ethnicities; it's to bring doctors into the medical system who are more likely to work with African American, Hispanic, Latino, and Native American populations.
  14. PancakeSorting

PancakeSorting

Pre-Medical
    That's not unworkable by any means. It'd be great if you could incorporate how English was not your first language into your personal statement. As others have said, just checking URM does not mean that Adcoms will automatically assume English wasn't your first language. You need to let them know.

Also, although your scores are a bit below average for MD, they aren't so bad for DO. Have you considered applying to a few DOs? It can't hurt. If you're accepted at the MD school you wanted, great, if you're only accepted at a DO school, then you have a decision to make (rather than not having any options). Of course, DO schools generally want people genuinely interested in the osteopathic school of medicine thought, and I have no idea where you stand on that.

And a lot also depends on your state of residence/activities/awards/etc... oh, admissions.
  15. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers SDN Advisor

Academic Administration
    Faculty SDN 7+ Year Member
    Let me add that we often have some clues that someone is a non-native speaker of English including: place of birth, parents' names and alma maters (highest degree attained), applicant's high school alma mater, and the languages spoken section of the AMCAS. It can sometimes be inferred from the AMCAS essay, a secondary essay, or be mentioned in an LOR.

Some URM are non-native speakers of English (most often raised in Spanish-speaking homes) but not all non-native speakers of English are URM.

A Verbal score of <10 and Biological and Physical science scores >10 are quite typical of applicants who learned English as a second (third or fourth) langauge. Fortunately, for that crowd, the combine MCAT score is the best predictor of sucess in medical school as compared to any subscore. Therefore, you may not be penalized for a low verbal, particularly if you are not a native speaker. On the other hand, an inability to speak well in English as demonstrated at interview can be a roadblcok to admission.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.