Does being too extroverted hurt your interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yg329

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is my first post, but I'll try to consolidate my stats and situation:

3.79 GPA, B.S. Applied Mathematics & B.A. Mathematics Education double major
I have a 33 MCAT, but I might retake it as I'm contemplating MD-PHD and I want to be more competitive, but I'm content with being just an MD.

Other Than Math/Physics Science Classes I've Taken:

-Organic Chemistry I and II
-Biochemistry I and II
-I was exempted from General Chemistry I and II as a freshman, so I was encouraged to take 2 other chemistrys to make up for it by my counselor so I chose: Physical Chemistry I and II
-Biology I and II
-Microbiology
-Genetics

Research:
-Mathematical Modeling of epidemics and viruses in simulated populations (published through school), I was the only mathematician in a virology/microbiology research group we have on campus

-Probabilistic networks of intermediate mechanisms in protein folding (published through school)

-I have a pending Journal of Mathematical Sciences publication. I am coinventor of a numerical approximation algorithm with my computer science professor. This algorithm numerically optimizes values for tomography scans taken for more accurate imaging

Work: Tutor at a learning center for kids for 2 1/2 years (math tutor). I loved that job. I got to work with kids, become a role model, talk and joke around with the innocent kids (whom I have the maturity level on par with), and invent my own math games. I was a Differential Equations and C programming TA as well.

However, I'm worried about the interview. I am an EXTREMELY extroverted individual. I get by on 5-6 hours of sleep, I'm very hyper, and I've been told I'm a 7 year old kid in a grown man's body. I have LOR's from my Micro professor, Ochem I professor, and Real Analysis II (math class). All three teachers note that I'm a funny person, with a bright personality, altruistic with respect to classmates, and the Micro professor noted my sense of humor in the pranks I pulled in micro lab.

While I am a prankster, jokester, intentional lame goofball, and satirist at the theatrical society on campus, I'm really worried that this will make me look professional. Should I ask for new LOR's and repress my extroversion in an interview?

In the light of joking, I've pulled tons of "safe" (non harmful) lab pranks, pranks in the research lab, wrote funny code in my professor's powerpoints, and rehashed in his file's folder...I'm scared that medical schools might not think this is the personality of a professional.

I've been told otherwise by practicing doctors that actually medical schools would love someone that can relate to the "everyday Joe".

I want to do pediatrics or pediatric oncology. The only real reason I want to do medicine is while math was always my thing as a kid, during the Sophomore year of high school my little brother lost a battle with an inoperable tumor at the young age of 11. While it's a huge pain, he was a huge jokester and happy kid, and I really wanted to carry on his smile and high spirit in everything that I do.

I know a classical interview question is what I would do if I didn't get in. I'd probably get a apply for graduate school for Biomedical Engineering after taking more biology classes and do research in hopes that my work filters down to help pediatricians.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake a 33.

Don't act like a hyperactive 7 year old in your interview.

Don't be an MD/PhD if the interpersonal interaction part of medicine is so important to you. The years toiling away in research will make you miserable. Do an MD and pick up a masters later if you feel like you need it.

Don't say your immediate backup plan is another graduate program. Say you'd try again for medicine and if medicine were not on option, only then, do something else.

Don't confuse extroversion and immaturity. Extroversion is great. Immaturity is not.

Other than that...should be good.

Don't retake a 33.

Don't be an MD/PhD if the interpersonal interaction part of medicine is so important to you. The years toiling away in research will make you miserable. Do an MD and pick up a masters later if you feel like you need it.

Don't say your immediate backup plan is another graduate program. Say you'd try again for medicine and if medicine were not on option, only then, do something else.

Don't confuse extroversion and immaturity. Extroversion is great. Immaturity is not.

'Nuff said.

And don't try to answer other people's questions. Your turn will come.

Don't retake a 33.